PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who want a career in gaming...FYI

Highlite23
07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Just passing on a little linkf for HOT JOBS AT XBOX:

http://www.microsoft.com/careers/games/jobs.htm

Dre
07-31-2002, 03:31 PM
How the hell am I going to start out in the business when everyone asks for prior experience of some sorts. I'll probably end up working where I'm doing my present coop term (telecommunication industry) and gain some good c++ experience. Then I'll try to get into gaming. I really want to do game AI.

No Fear 23
07-31-2002, 09:32 PM
that sounds cool, but i gotta go to college first to learn all that
*****. and i am still undecided on what to do. being part of gaming business is prolly in my top 10 job list

Hugh_Jass
07-31-2002, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't wait until college to start learning C++ if you want to be a game programmer. Start immediately.

Keltiks
08-01-2002, 02:01 AM
Might want to start learning java, perl and python while your at it. They're helpful to know.

Chr0nik
08-01-2002, 06:42 AM
I would never go into developement of software. You poor your blood sweat + tears into a project to have it ripped off, cracked, hacked, and pirated usually before it even gets officially released.

Hugh_Jass
08-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Keltiks
Might want to start learning java, perl and python while your at it. They're helpful to know.

I don't think those languages are appropriate for console (or even mainstream PC) game development. However, if you want to develop web-based software that wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Dre
08-01-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I don't think those languages are appropriate for console (or even mainstream PC) game development. However, if you want to develop web-based software that wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Scripting languages are always good to learn and you should know at least one if you are going to be working in any software development position imo.

OppiumNitrates
08-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Assembaly wouldn't hurt . . . PS2 games r programmed in assembaly and it can also be intergrated in C++ code . . . nice find but like Dre said, how the fok do u get in the biz when every company is looking for prior experiance . . . i would love to do some game testing for Xbox though . . . time to dig up my resume and update that sucka . . .

Crazy Joe
08-01-2002, 12:27 PM
whatever you do, don't START by learning assembly, learn Turing or Basic to start off, get the fundamentals of programming down, then move onto Java or C++, then take a crack at Assembly, Assembly is a hella biatch!!

pimpineezhoes
08-01-2002, 01:29 PM
When this .NET stuff comes out you will only have to be a expert in one language. Because you can use any language in .NET and then it is broken down into more basic codeand then used. .NEt integrates all codes so tehy can all be used together.... perl, java, c, c++ and VB. Of course there are certain advantages to using certain languages for certain functions and such but whatevr!

Hugh_Jass
08-01-2002, 06:35 PM
.NET is already out. I use it almost daily. I don't think we'll see too many games written in C# or VB.NET until the DX libraries become managed code.

pimpineezhoes
08-02-2002, 08:49 AM
It is true that .NET is out, but its not widely known or used. Microsoft talked it up but it hasnt really taken off liek their usualy products. Even though it is revolutionary and is the next phase in programming.