PDA

View Full Version : Enclave Initial Impressions

Ayanami III
08-01-2002, 05:58 AM
I've just played through the first three stages of Enclave; here's my thoughts on the game so far:

Enclave opens with a rather boring prologue (mainly because it's nothing more than narration and all we get to see are pages from a book; you can skip all cinemas if you want to though), setting up the game's backstory and explaining how the game begins.

The story is very typical of a fantasy-based game; there's an evil demon trying to take over the world, he's killed by a wizard, but the explosion from its death creates a rift that divides the land in half. One half becomes a more peaceful society living on the half of the land with magical elements, but the other becomes a warlike-race and wants the other half's land. Eventually, the rift begins to close, and the darker half begins to invade the "lighter side's" land. You begin the game as a warrior who has been thrown into prison for opposing the land's tax, but suddenly, the darker side begins its invasion, and you must now escape the prison before it literally crumbles around you.

Enclave is a action/adventure game similar to the Dreamcast release Draconus: Cult Of The Wyrm. However, where as Draconus suffered from a clunky control scheme and a bad frame rate, Enclave plays very well and the frame rate generally will not get in your way.

The control scheme in Enclave will be familar to Xbox owners who have played games like Halo and Max Payne: The left stick will move your character, while the right stick will allow you to look in direction/aim. Pressing in the left stick will make your character drouch, and pressing in the right stick will let you jump. The L and R buttons are for attacking, blocking, and hitting switches, and the face buttons allow you to change your weapon and use items that you pick up along the way, such as torches and health potions. The black button will also let you switch from the third to a first-person viewpoint at any time as well.

Aiming weapons such as the crossbow is a snap, since a green target will appear over ALL enemies in a surrounding area, and you can then move your control stick, which is represented by a green dot on the screen, towards an enemy. The dot will change to red if you have a clear shot, and the game will even allow you to shoot enemies from very far away.

From: LyteEdge | Posted: 7/31/2002 6:06:27 PM | Message Detail
Combat in Enclave works well. R is your attack button, and holding it down produces a different melee attack from each weapon that you use. L blocks, but since you can move about freely, even when in the middle of a melee combo, dodging enemy attacks entirely is also possible. During combat, you will often find yourself surrounded by enemies, but so far, I have yet to feel like I've been put into an unfair situation; the AI seems to be very well-developed and plays "fair," and you will also sometimes have AI partners helping you during battle.

Enclave is divided up into different areas with a certain number of stages in each one. The first area, for example, is two stages long, and once you've completed it, the a cinema will kick in, and you will gain another character to use. You can also use the gold that you've found to buy new weapons/armor, as well as new items. The game will also allow you to replay stages that you have completed, letting you go back and collect more gold pieces and replaying the stage using any character that has been unlocked.

Visually, Enclave is an extremely impressive-looking game, with high-resolution textures, no pop-up or draw in, and the always-impressive "Xbox water effect." There's no doubt about it; not only is Enclave a sharp-looking title, but it's easily one of the best-looking games currently out. On the first stage alone, watching the dungeon you are in crumble and literally come down on you is very cool, as is when you go up certain staircases and the enemies will push down crates or wagons on you! The characters move smoothly and animate well, and although the frame rate does suffer from time to time, it never gets to a point that it will affect the game play. The sound is also very good, with the types of noises you would expect from a fantasy-based action game, and the voice-actors do a great job in the storyline segments.

Closing Comments: Unless the difficulty drastically changes later on in the game, I don't understand why some Enclave reviews lavel it as too difficult. The game controls very well, and the camera will not get in your way; getting too close to the screen will make your character go transparent or shift into the first-person view for a brief moment if it's very close, and this works very well in combat situations. The missions are not simply just linear "hack and slash," allowing you to search the large levels for gold pieces or other items, and the fact that the game allows you replay levels should you want to means that you can go through the game at your own pace and not have to worry about running out of money for new items. Enclave also lookgs to have a lot of replay value, as once you finish the light side's game, the dark side is unlocked, and there are supposed to be hidden modes and characters to unlock as well. While the game's story seems pretty typical and even has some plot holes(why is there no story showing how you get the second character? She just shows up in the next cinema!), Enclave is an action game, and it can be overlooked; my only complaint is the save system, as you can only save between levels, and it would have been nice to be able to save anywhere a la Max Payne.

If you've been looking for a good fantasy action/hack and slash title, give Enclave a shot; it's easily the best of its genre to hit a console system in a long time, and at least right now, I'm baffled as to why this game hasn't received higher score in most of its reviews.

Lee
http://s1.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=13970&topic=3728738

Chaotic
08-01-2002, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the post I was wondering what others thought of this game.

Spaztic
08-01-2002, 08:35 AM
...its very hard, graphics are great! not going to be everyones cup of tea! I suggest a rental...I have been playing nhl hitz to much to really enjoy this game! It is almost cooler to watch then play!

studepaber
08-01-2002, 09:24 AM
I think this game is pretty kick @ss thus far but one reoccurring thing keeps happening that is really pi$$ing me off......

THE DIRTY DISK ERROR MESSAGE!!!!!

and it occurred right after I beat level 3 but before it got a chance to save :mad:

Chaotic
08-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by studepaber
I think this game is pretty kick @ss thus far but one reoccurring thing keeps happening that is really pi$$ing me off......

THE DIRTY DISK ERROR MESSAGE!!!!!

and it occurred right after I beat level 3 but before it got a chance to save :mad:

OUCH that sucks man i would take my xbox and bounch it off the walls a few times if that happened. :mad:

So what do you think of this game? I have it but haven't had a chance to play it yet?

Is it worth it? and what type of things to you get to do?

Like quests,little missions,etc....

EHWfedPres
08-01-2002, 12:30 PM
I dont care about some retard's opinion on the game...I have been waiting for this sucker for about a year now, so when my b-day rolls along in 8 days, i'll be playing that...

Some crybabies are complaining...oh, it's too hard...who cares. If it was easy, you people would be saying it was too short and easy. I remember every single Super Nintendo game was impossible, yet nobody complained.

Afro Aura
08-01-2002, 04:53 PM
I have to say this game is rather dull, sure its absolutely gorgeous without a doubt but it's just another hack and slash game all the way through. Yes it is hard and the combat system is pretty ropey, I'm on level eight I think (I'm in a boat at the start and theres a grunt in a cage) and I've been killed so many times here, man it's depressing.

It's a real big shame like you EHWfedPres I've been waiting for this game for ages, I got it the first day it got released and to tell you the truth I don't think I would have got it as it is pretty boring, personally I think you should rent it first and make your own mind up

anyway thats my 2 cents or pennys I'll go back at play Outlaw Golf now theres a game I'm proud to have

Woocifer
08-01-2002, 08:58 PM
I agree with Afro...this game looks nice, but it feels dull. It just doesn't have the appeal or the story or the immersion that would cause someone to be MORE interested in furthering themselves in the game.

Actually the story in it isn't even a story...you just kinda hear a few things, a couple suggestions and then go. It's pretty simplistic at heart. I'm not knocking that at all because games like Virtua Tennis were EXTREMELY simple but I LOVED playing them.

This game just didn't have the hook or draw that keeps a gamer completely interested. It's all right...Like I've posted before, I saw pics of this game a while ago, similarily like Hunter, and though wow this is a great looking title and has a great premise to it. Unfortunately both turned out to lack some form of substance and just kinda turned into a game that you'd play inbetween the next good game. It sucks...especially since this was the only title that I was interested in until the wave of disgusting games comes in the fall.

Though the latest announcement about Brute Force and its lack of system link/online play is starting to make me waver on actually getting excited about any game. I'm becoming very cynical towards releases and don't think they are worth my money anymore. I need more substance and less repetition.

Afro Aura
08-01-2002, 10:09 PM
yeah it's funny really, like you I thought that Hunter: The Reckoning was going to be some kick @ss game but all it really was is a kick in the teeth sure it's Ok for a bit with friends around but you do get bored with it I've completed it once and I'm playing again but I'm so fed up with it I'll be leaving it to one side with Enclave, like you said I have no real interest in playing them at the moment I'm having fun with Outlaw Golf and a bit of Gunmetal

studepaber
08-02-2002, 08:26 AM
Okay I got another copy of the game and it seems to work fine. All in all this game is at least worth a rent (at least to see the game's shweet graphics), although I have no regrets about buying this game. My only problem with the game thus far is when you switch from short to long range weapons the enemies suddenly gain all this courage and charge you, sorta cheap.

Highlite23
08-02-2002, 09:23 PM
I've been playing for a couple of hours and enjoy it quite a bit. I think if your into the fantasy aspect of it it helps. I don't mind games that get difficult, thats the challenge. As always, I usually buy the games that interest me and play them for a few days and then decide whether it's a keeper. So far i'm not teriblly disapointed.

MerimacHamwich
08-04-2002, 03:45 AM
Enclave has beuatiful graphics and sound and great gameplay. I find the controls are good, they are default Halo joysticks. I play this game for hours on end. It is kind of like Rune or Blade of Darkness. Both very fun games. I never found it boring yet and it has a decent story line. With all of the different characters you can play as I found great replay value in each level. You can buy new weapons and armor after each level with the gold you find which I like. I was not expecting that part but I am glad they included it. You get a different experience with each weapon. Some are faster, some slower, more powerful, less etc. Plus after you beat the "light" campaign you can play the dark one. The dark campaign is supposed to be harder. I havent beat the light campaign yet so I do not know. You can also buy weapons and everything like in the light campaign. There is also replay value found in collecting gold. If you cannot find all of it in one go you can play the level over again and try and find it. Using bows is incredibly fun. With sniper arrows you can zoom in and get headshots, as well as any part of the body - shots. It is cool catching one of the enemies naping and shooting him in the face with an arrow. There is a first person as well as third person view. If you are not sure about this game rent it. After you have rented it I can almost garuantee you will want to buy it. I would label this title as a must buy for any xbox gamer.:)

Spaztic
08-05-2002, 08:49 AM
...I got a chance to play this game some more this weekend! I am really begining to enjoy it! I am not to far but I haven't noticed the difficulty being to hard, just challanging! The graphics are great! The gameplay is good, the story though not much to it is simple enough....everyone complains about the story....isn't it about the gameplay? I never got a game that keeps me going because of the story!

Sodacider
08-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
...I got a chance to play this game some more this weekend! I am really begining to enjoy it! I am not to far but I haven't noticed the difficulty being to hard, just challanging! The graphics are great! The gameplay is good, the story though not much to it is simple enough....everyone complains about the story....isn't it about the gameplay? I never got a game that keeps me going because of the story!

I'm debating between Enclave, Gunmetal, other recent or upcoming games, and Outlaw Golf (which I've played and was very impressed with). I appreciate your post but just wanted to point out:

Games can be good without story (except for RPGs with lame stories like umm Final Fantasy but that's personal pref), your right, but games can never be truly great without stories. I mean the people who gave Halo Game of the Year awards always mentioned the superb storyline, and Warcraft III is another point to boot.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Thanks to you and all the others for your reviews of Enclave

consolegamer
08-08-2002, 04:28 PM
I don't care what anyone says. Enclave is the best Xbox game to date! Even surpassing the all mighty HALO. And for all you peeps who think it's hard and want to get a great look at the latter levels (this game is big and beautiful) pause the game during gameplay and press
X Y X X Y Y X Y X X Y Y
You'll get god mode and level complete.

JGennaro
08-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Okay...here's the scoop..imagine Halo with no in game checkpoints and ONLY an end of level save with 30 minute length levels...that's the frustration of this game...and it's a big problem too...it takes away from what this game could've been and will be a big factor in whether some of you will want to even buy this game...it's up to you...but thought you should know that...and yes, there is the cheat for the game but how much fun is that when it's a pain in the butt to go through levels in the game without any cheat? Last game I bought was Outlaw Golf and at first its very difficult to learn just how to swing perfectly and aim right considering the roll of the ball, different turf, putting distance, power..etc..etc....but after playing for awhile you can almost become a pro at the game...it truly is a great game IMO...

:D

BlindSniper
08-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JGennaro
Okay...here's the scoop..imagine Halo with no in game checkpoints and ONLY an end of level save with 30 minute length levels...that's the frustration of this game...and it's a big problem too...it takes away from what this game could've been and will be a big factor in whether some of you will want to even buy this game...it's up to you...but thought you should know that...and yes, there is the cheat for the game but how much fun is that when it's a pain in the butt to go through levels in the game without any cheat? Last game I bought was Outlaw Golf and at first its very difficult to learn just how to swing perfectly and aim right considering the roll of the ball, different turf, putting distance, power..etc..etc....but after playing for awhile you can almost become a pro at the game...it truly is a great game IMO...

:D

exactly its so frustrating and hard you could get shot in the head right at the end and have to do it all over agaain

robnyack
08-11-2002, 06:59 AM
despite the horrible save scheme, I have found the further I go in this game, the more I realize just what a friggin GREAT game this is. This game simply is amazing. The levels are in-friggin-credible! I find myself getting the crap scared out of me when I'm going through these levels.

The sound in this game is just amazing. You hear little rocks falling and leaves being russled, in the background which can scare the hell out of you when you are slowly creeping around looking for the next Orc Deathdude!

Whatever environment you are in, you are gonig t hear what it should sound like. In a ship yard? You hear water lighly rolling in on the shore. You hear a dingy swaying in the wind, you even hear the rope holding the dingy sort of stretching and rubbing against the pole it's attached to. It really is amazing.

Yes, because of the horrible save feature, it gets to be a VERY hard game. But, I have found a well placed god mode here and there really helps out.

If you gave up on this game, man, go back, put some time into it. The further you get in this game, the more amazing it gets.

Afro Aura
08-11-2002, 11:03 AM
OK robnyack I'll have a go again using this god mode, but when it's done I'm off to get rid of the game I don't think I could play it again it just doesn't exite me

consolegamer
08-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by robnyack
despite the horrible save scheme, I have found the further I go in this game, the more I realize just what a friggin GREAT game this is. This game simply is amazing. The levels are in-friggin-credible! I find myself getting the crap scared out of me when I'm going through these levels.

The sound in this game is just amazing. You hear little rocks falling and leaves being russled, in the background which can scare the hell out of you when you are slowly creeping around looking for the next Orc Deathdude!

Whatever environment you are in, you are gonig t hear what it should sound like. In a ship yard? You hear water lighly rolling in on the shore. You hear a dingy swaying in the wind, you even hear the rope holding the dingy sort of stretching and rubbing against the pole it's attached to. It really is amazing.

Yes, because of the horrible save feature, it gets to be a VERY hard game. But, I have found a well placed god mode here and there really helps out.

If you gave up on this game, man, go back, put some time into it. The further you get in this game, the more amazing it gets.

Man, I totally agre. The god mode rules when you get frustrated and just to see the latter levels brings a chill up my spine.

RadRider
08-11-2002, 02:55 PM
I found this game to be very good. The graphics are nice (despite some occasional chop. I wonder what the PS2 version will be like :D) The controls are responsive and precise (no double-step then jump like in some games), and the difficulty level is always increasing to keep you on your toes. There is quite a wide variety of characters that play quite differently from each other, so if you have little success with one character, you might want to try another. The gold isn't exactly easy to find all the time, and more gold will make the game a little easier, so there's that incentive to replay old levels as well.

I do admit that the lack of a "save anywhere" feature makes the game more difficult than I'd like, but I'm not a wuss, so I won't complain about it. :D