PDA

View Full Version : Placing your XBox on a Speaker

jschelm
08-01-2002, 07:22 AM
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble or luck placing their XBox on a bookshelf speaker. I recently got new front speakers with pretty hefty magnets and I don't want them to hurt my XBox.

Integra Man
08-01-2002, 07:23 AM
nothing to worry about my friend. im pretty sure nothign will happen. ive been playing xbox with my big speakers for months now.

Chr0nik
08-01-2002, 07:24 AM
Not sure, but I would be a little concerned about the HD if there are strong magnetic fields being generated.

Zion
08-01-2002, 07:36 AM
NOT a good idea...unless you have a death wish for your Xbox. By placing your Xbox on top of a speaker, the vibrations will destroy the hard drive, eventually destory the circuitry, and cause the laser in the DVD drive to skip. Magnetic fields are also not good, but the vibrations are the biggest thing to worry about. Don't put your Xbox on a speaker.

jschelm
08-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I think just to be safe I will try and find somewhere away from the speaker. Even though the XBox will get shaken up pretty bad when I crank it getting it off the speaker cabinet will probably help.

Casper
08-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by jschelm
Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I think just to be safe I will try and find somewhere away from the speaker. Even though the XBox will get shaken up pretty bad when I crank it getting it off the speaker cabinet will probably help.

Yeah, keep it away from the speaker...but to keep it from shaking that much, take a big towel, fold it up, and place it under (or even a big piece of foam)...that way it'll stop from shaking and won't skip :)

Hugh_Jass
08-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by casper

Yeah, keep it away from the speaker...but to keep it from shaking that much, take a big towel, fold it up, and place it under (or even a big piece of foam)...that way it'll stop from shaking and won't skip :)

That would help, but it will also prevent your XBOX from cooling to the same degree as one on a flat surface.

Duke
08-01-2002, 12:24 PM
wow, i've been keeping mine on the top of my beer fridge for awhile now.

haven't had any real problems, but i guess it's time to start looking for something else. maybe this finally gives me a good excuse to buy that entertainment center.

Casper
08-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
wow, i've been keeping mine on the top of my beer fridge for awhile now.

haven't had any real problems, but i guess it's time to start looking for something else. maybe this finally gives me a good excuse to buy that entertainment center.

It's not that bad because of the cooling fan being on the back of the Box. But also, you have to realize that the heatsinks that are on the processor are so highpowered, that it would take a room that's about 105 degrees for a month straight to overheat it.

pounder
08-01-2002, 06:29 PM
ive had my xbox on top of one of my main speakers since i got it..nothign wrong has happened..so its outlived many many other xbox's that were not placed on speakers...itll be fine..speaker boxes are made out of MDF..so theres really low resonation..why do you think they make all those coffee table subs?..they throw out like mad, and you can have a glass of whine sitting on them..nothing to worry about..slater

ShannonX
08-01-2002, 08:08 PM
hey man, you here in kansas city yet? if you are, well have to have some beers and play some games man!

pm me, i'll give you me cell number.... just let me know bro!!

Zion
08-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by pounder
ive had my xbox on top of one of my main speakers since i got it..nothign wrong has happened..so its outlived many many other xbox's that were not placed on speakers...itll be fine..speaker boxes are made out of MDF..so theres really low resonation..why do you think they make all those coffee table subs?..they throw out like mad, and you can have a glass of whine sitting on them..nothing to worry about..slater

A glass of wine is not a delicate piece of electronic gear, and it has no parts moving at 5400 rpm.

Don't put your Xbox on a speaker. It's that simple. Common sense should prevail here people.

GokuX
08-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Most decent speakers these days are shielded so their magnets won't affect other electronic components.

pounder
08-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Zion

A glass of wine is not a delicate piece of electronic gear, and it has no parts moving at 5400 rpm.

Don't put your Xbox on a speaker. It's that simple. Common sense should prevail here people.

no it doesnt..but the glass is delicate, and you can actually see that it is fine..you think microsoft is stupid? really though..the xbox is in today's world..full of kids dropping the box, and hell even putting the xbox in the car..if you think a speaker is going to damage it..then it would even survive my car hittin 155 db's..seriously i think people are just wayy to overcautious..if you dont wanna risk hurting he box..dont put it on the speaker..mine is more then fine, and has outlived many other xbox's that were just used on a daily use..hard drives arent that delicate, but thats just my opinion