PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Cyber Cafes

Devil
08-01-2002, 09:10 AM
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on something. Do you think we will see Xbox cyber cafes take off like internet cafes? It could be pretty cool having your own sports league with prizes and such and going in at a set time each week for your league. It may also come up in areas where broadband is not available. Think about it. You could bring your xbox into the cafe and rent the broadband time, system (if you don't want to bring your own and the software for the particular online game.

How much would you pay per hour for something like this?

thanks,
Devil

Duke
08-01-2002, 11:20 AM
I'm not really sure how feasible that would be. Really the only areas that don't have BB are low population. Sure there still are plenty of people in areas that are offered but don't want to pay the cash.

That aside, I think that sooner rather than later BB will be the norm. Most of the folks I know already have it with more signing up every day. Once you go BB you really can't go back.

Hugh_Jass
08-01-2002, 11:32 AM
I can't see paying money to play the XBOX in a cafe environment.

POD13259
08-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Me neither. And besides, I can't stand the smell of coffee.

LynxFX
08-01-2002, 06:39 PM
When I lived in NYC internet cafes were hugely popular. They also had a section setup for gaming online. Counter Strike was a popular choice.

I could easily see someone buying a dozen or two Xboxes and getting each on LIVE or just having them all linked up. It wouldn't take much investment and could be just as popular as lan parties.

FYI, a guy died in the Phillipines playing Counter Strike all night in an internet cafe. His heart gave out. :eek:

Tinny
08-02-2002, 09:21 AM
It would be cool is you can have like 4 X-Boxs and 4 TVs. You can have the TV (64") hanging from the ceiling and placed in a square shape (so you have four sides to see the games in). Place the four seats so each one faces the TVs and have the four X-Boxs right in the middle. Dolby Surround with snacks and spectators. Have a building totally devoted to X-Box and each room would be set up like that. Heck, for CTF you can set up a room so two TV are facing one side and the other two are facing the other side of the room. Not exactly a cyber cafe (more just like a system link party building) but it would be great to see. Oooh and the basment could have individual X-Boxs and TVs for one gamer. These are linked up like XBL so you can have like 32+ players playing at one time. A great way to hold tournaments. Too bad cheating will be a problem.

PS. Yes the Cyber Cafe is a good idea. It is true that not everyone has BB (though that will change in 2/3 years time - people will start talking about BB the same way we talk about 56k modems now).

P-Rock
08-03-2002, 11:56 AM
These cafes could act as a lobby. Kind of like a meeting place, where all players come into. Then, from the lobby, there could be doors into new gaming rooms, for you specific game.

Kind of what OnChat uses, but better, and without as much lag.