PDA

View Full Version : Theres just one more thing I wish MS would do for the XBOX....

yall
08-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Now before I say anything else, I'm not saying I'm dissapointed with the XBOX or anything like that.

What I wish MS would do though, is to have developers port some PC hits to the XBOX.

The machine has a fast enough processor, more than enough ram, a hard drive, and a freakin geforce3 for cryin out loud. It could run some of todays best pc games.

The OS is already windows based, so why isn't MS beating down the doors at EA, Sierra, etc, to port over some games that have been big hits and makes sense for being on the system. Half-Life immediately comes to mind. How long do you think it would take developers to port that to the XBOX. 2 months dev time, a couple of months testing, go gold, ship it, BAM! Done!

Diablo 1 or 2 could probably be done in record time. What about any of the titles from the C&C franchise. Any before any of you say anything, the original C&C worked quite well on the PS1.

What do you guys think?

RudedogX
08-02-2002, 02:57 PM
One word...(as much as like the game)

MORROWIND

Do we really need all those bugs on a console game?

yall
08-02-2002, 03:02 PM
I have both the PC version of Morrowind and the XBOX version. I have had zero problems with the XBOX version after loggind over 50 hours. Compair that with my pc version where I had a CTD about every 20 minutes.

As far as bugs in PC games go, the reason 99% of them exist, is due to the fact that the game has to run on many different systems with almost limitless configuration possibilities. The XBOX has 1 way of being configured. The developers would need to spend most of their time debugging already existing code, and could release it to an installed user base of over 3 million (or however many have been sold) in the US alone! Its easy money for them, and great gaming for us.

symposiumx
08-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by yall
I have both the PC version of Morrowind and the XBOX version. I have had zero problems with the XBOX version after loggind over 50 hours. Compair that with my pc version where I had a CTD about every 20 minutes.

As far as bugs in PC games go, the reason 99% of them exist, is due to the fact that the game has to run on many different systems with almost limitless configuration possibilities. The XBOX has 1 way of being configured. The developers would need to spend most of their time debugging already existing code, and could release it to an installed user base of over 3 million (or however many have been sold) in the US alone! Its easy money for them, and great gaming for us.

I agree. I would like to see many more PC games ported over to our beloved XBOX. I think they compliment each other very well.

Spaztic
08-02-2002, 03:47 PM
dude just mod your xbox! I am playing pc ports....hopefully even gta3 very soon!

symposiumx
08-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
dude just mod your xbox! I am playing pc ports....hopefully even gta3 very soon!

ok...I'm totally ignorant about all this. So if I mod it, then I can just take (for example) my Diablo 2 PC game and stick it in the Xbox and it will work?
what about controller set up, etc etc?

Toonz
08-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Not that simple no but release groups are working on versions of popular PC's games that can played on Xbox if you have a Mod chip. Quake 2 has been done and the same peeps are working on Quake 3 and GTA3 now.

symposiumx
08-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
Not that simple no but release groups are working on versions of popular PC's games that can played on Xbox if you have a Mod chip. Quake 2 has been done and the same peeps are working on Quake 3 and GTA3 now.

ok..so you have to get your hands on special verisions of the game then? where would one 'aquire' these?

Toonz
08-02-2002, 06:27 PM
I seen Quake 2 on alt.binaries.games.xbox or it might have been alt.binaries.cd.image.xbox can't remember. As far as the others go they are not out yet but rather only being talked about being in creation. Those are newsgroups btw if you did not know. If you are unfamiliar you might need someone to help ya.

symposiumx
08-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
I seen Quake 2 on alt.binaries.games.xbox or it might have been alt.binaries.cd.image.xbox can't remember. As far as the others go they are not out yet but rather only being talked about being in creation. Those are newsgroups btw if you did not know. If you are unfamiliar you might need someone to help ya.

Thanks a lot for your help. I know about the binaires from all the days of joing por.....er..um....game groups, yeah yeah, that's it...GAME groups. hahahaha

thanks again!

Toonz
08-02-2002, 06:46 PM
:cool: np mang

Evil_Dr_Beefy
08-02-2002, 06:57 PM
i wish that microsoft would find a way to upgrade memory...and a bigger harddrive.....But, mostly..i wish that microsoft would tighten up on it's quality control..because some of these games, *(holds head down, walks aways)*:rolleyes:

symposiumx
08-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
i wish that microsoft would find a way to upgrade memory...and a bigger harddrive.....But, mostly..i wish that microsoft would tighten up on it's quality control..because some of these games, *(holds head down, walks aways)*:rolleyes:

But that can be said for any console (poor games). I agree that some games suck donkey @ss, but still...

AT least we are lucky enough to have several great titles within such a short span. I think Xbox has had the most within the initial 8 months of a console release (if you count million sellers = great games).

l Maximus l
08-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy

There is a way to upgrade the hard-drive. My nephew just installed an 80 gig hard-drive into his XBox.

Whisper
08-04-2002, 12:22 AM
modding is bad... very very bad... not only am i totally ignorant on the subject, isnt it a form of piracy? ah who cares not like i didnt do it with PSX...

it would be my dream to have a resident evil game on xbox.. but.. :confused: i dont... think... :confused: it can every... happen.. :(

hook-worm J
08-04-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

There is a way to upgrade the hard-drive. My nephew just installed an 80 gig hard-drive into his XBox.

Say what?! you serious? How did he copy the OS and all the system files to the new hard drive? Doesn't sound possible to me.

xboxfan
08-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Theres a little program at xboxhacker.com that lets you do that, but you box has to be modded i think....now xboxhacker dosnt support piracy or warez so if this post is against the forum gidelines just delete it...and dont ban me :D