PDA

View Full Version : Xbox: New keyboard and mouse

Chr0nik
08-05-2002, 11:02 AM
05/08/02: 14:20]
With Xbox gearing up for online gaming, the debate for ‘PC’ peripherals grows warmer than a mouse's ear

With the Xbox prepping up for online gaming with the forthcoming Xbox Live!, once again rumours that the console will get a mouse and keyboard abound.

Microsoft made it clear from the conception of Xbox that it would be a home console and not a PC in all but name, and as such have been somewhat uncomfortable with the thought of adding a mouse or keyboard. Across the web recently, reporting on this issue has varied from ‘don’t know’ to it’s basically a ‘forgone conclusion’.

We spoke to Microsoft to establish the current situation and the truth behind the rumours. While noting that individuals from Microsoft had been misquoted in the online press, the official line given was that “[Microsoft] are investigating the possibility of doing a keyboard with Xbox Live! because some game developers have asked for it and we would like to work out a solution. However, nothing has been announced at this time.”

Microsoft further added that “All Xbox Live! multiplayer games will incorporate Voice and will be the primary mode of communication.” While the headset peripheral Voice is a dynamic way to communicate, experience suggests it would be hard pressed to actually replace the need (or desire) for a keyboard for online gaming.

So the possibility of doing a keyboard for Xbox is being considered at the least but beyond that the rest is pure speculation.

However, the question is whether Microsoft should be so keyboard/mouse phobic. Clearly there are plenty of games that would benefit from such peripherals and with Xbox going online that can only make the case for their addition stronger.

Should Microsoft cut off their nose to spite their face and refuse to release a keyboard and mouse, or bite the bullet and let the Xbox gamers have their little bundles of ‘PC’ joy? Email us with your opinions.

Full Story (http://www.gamesradar.com/news/default.asp?subsectionid=159&articleid=63889&pagetype=2)

Duke
08-05-2002, 11:08 AM
I personally could care less about a keyboard/mouse. I know there are advantages, but that was the thing I like most about the idea of on-line console gaming. Everyone playing with the exact same equipment.

Oh well, if and when the come out I certainly won't be the first to buy them, but if it seems that those who have it have an advantage, I'll run straight to the store and pick them up. After all, it isn't how you play the game...................

MixMasta
08-05-2002, 11:17 AM
i wouldnt want a mouse n keyboard because one of the things im looking forward to is lounging on my couch kicking butt at unreal championship!

Professor Kaos
08-05-2002, 11:18 AM
exactly, that was the whole point of console online, no key board or mouse just the controler, thats also y we get the communicator so we dont have to type to each othe, and i personally think it would suck playin with a key board and mouse.

laters

OppiumNitrates
08-05-2002, 11:56 AM
i am totaly agains the K/M combo for any console, especially Xbox . . .

i read somewhere that they will make it for people who would be impaired and cant use the comunicator, and that u WOULD NOT be able to play games with it, only for communication propuses . . . but if someone who is impaired, need to relay a message to a teamate so he puts down the controller and types the message, he would be dead before, he finished the message or in a raceinr game he would be stopped to use it .. . . the whole idea behind the communicator is that its quick and easy, also doesnt inturupt the flow of the game . . . i just hope u cant play games with it if they do make it, everyone should be using the same "type" of input device for gaming . . . ill try and find the link to where i read that

ShannonX
08-05-2002, 10:23 PM
hmm, i'd have to say i'm against the mouse/keyboard combo also. Thats one reason i've never played many FPS games on the PC. i dont like using the keyboard and mouse like that.

I would probably have to stop playing certain games if those games became clogged with keyboard/mouse players. Oh well.

Zion
08-06-2002, 07:19 AM
Keyboard/mouse is for a computer. Xbox is not a computer.

I hope they stand firm and never release a keyboard/mouse for the Xbox.

Tkf5000
08-06-2002, 09:34 AM
im against it too. and like everyone is saying, whats the point of having it if we have the communicator? with the comuniator we dont need to stop and type. its the furture, why type?

MaddenFanatic
08-06-2002, 09:55 AM
There are only a few reasons i can see using k/m
1. searcing for ur buddies with xbox live, if they incorporated a search by name then it would make it easier.
2. die hard sports fans should agree, that making roster changes to a team can be a total nightmare, it can take longer then the game itself, if the soprts franchises (madden, fever, 2k3) incorporated a player search by name, u can eaily type it in and make the process a whole lot easier. I am a little bitter on this subject because i spent the weekend updating madden. I know its easier to buy the 2003 version, but id rather put that money to another game, other then football...know what i mean...
3. changing screen names and what not would also be a lot better with a kew board.

I DO NOT AGREE with using the mouse keyboard for any game...whether it be FPS, RPG, sports or trivia for all i care.
it would be an unfair advantage to the people who do not use them.

Madman
08-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Keyboard and mouse..... isn't that the thing that I am using right now to type on the COMPUTER!
Keep it to the computer, which Xbox is not.
The controller seems to work fine for the box even in games where I thought the keyboard and mouse would be a necessity eg. Halo!
Don't go the Dreamcast route here trying to make the box into an entire online browsing system.... because you see what happened to the....um......something-cast :D

LynxFX
08-08-2002, 01:25 AM
If there is one thing the Xbox deserves, it is a FREAKIN MOUSE AND KEYBOARD.

It still amazes me how defensive some of you get whenever someone mentions the possibility of a mouse and keyboard for the Xbox. You all think it is the end of the world when all it is ACTUALLY doing is making the console better and giving more options. Give more options, and more people will end up purchasing the Xbox. Isn't that what we all want, more users? :rolleyes:

How many times do we have to hear "XBox is not a computer" and "We should all be using the same controls"?

For one thing, Yes the Xbox is a computer. The PS2 is a computer. NES is a computer. Your Microwave is a computer. The Xbox is not a Personal Computer though but a dedicated gaming/dvd player/music player/online chatting computer. Hmm seams like we are stretching the purpose a bit aren't we? Get over it.

Second, what is this fear about playing against someone with a mouse and keyboard. For some there is no alternative, especially with FPS. How many different types of controllers do we have out there? Quite a few including programable controllers. You play with what you are good at. If you prefer the standard controller, great, play with it. No one is forcing you to buy the M/KB combo. Who also said that a keyboard means that you are going to use it to type messages? You can easily have M/KB and Communicator. M/KB is just another type of controller doing the same function in a different casing.

I swear that the death of the Xbox or any console comes more from the die hard fans rather than the general public that is on the wire of going one way or the other.

Alien
08-08-2002, 06:20 AM
I would like to see a mouse and keyboard come to the Xbox. It would be great, for not only FPSs, but other games, like RPGs. Menu's could be made easier to operate, it would just be nice. Plus if they added a chat feature to a game that would be able to be played over XBox Live, the keyboard and mouse would be a nessesity. By the way, how warm is a mouse's ear?

Zion
08-08-2002, 06:46 AM
I don't think it's really a concern..Microsoft has already said that there will be no mouse/keyboard for it since it's not a PC.

Personally, I'm glad to see that. Xbox don't need no stinkin mouse/keyboard. It's a game console, not an internet kiosk.

Woocifer
08-08-2002, 07:57 AM
A keyboard has 104 keys or so... That honkin huge chunk of garbage controller for that new mech game coming out has 40 buttons, two joysticks and 3 foot pedals.

There is no ******* difference between these two things other than your little minds can't see past the amount of usage that a full keyboard of buttons could add to any game.

Does this mean the huge 40 button honkin controller is an unfair advantage as well? Does that mean people never should have bought the Controller-S either because it is different than the regular xbox controller?

Don't be so ignorant. And the fact that the dreamcast had a keyboard does not explain its demise...it was lack of advertising and its timing in the market...which btw is something Microsoft faces too..

Where the PHUCK is all the advertising? The console will never prosper if people aren't constantly reminded how well it looks and plays.

Keyboards in, whiney people who cry over spilt milk out.

Tinny
08-08-2002, 08:18 AM
Microsoft ought to get the keyboard out for the X-Box and XBL. I remember ranting about this a while ago (I better go and check that thread now) and I am glad that some serious thought is going into it.

Listen. Keyboard: Excellent idea. Optional communication for us and only communication for people who can not use the Communicator. Like Woocifer said, we are gonna get a 40 button controller for basically just one game (or for a couple of games in that specific genre) so why the heck should we not have a keyboard? Atleast it will help quite a few people around the world to commuinicate with each other and gives us the ability to chat without having 20 voices in our heads at one go. Read texts or listen to 20 people at a go... hmmm, I guess I rather read text.

(Oh and you only need 40 - 50 keys for the keyboard. Most of the other keys can be pressed when you hold down the shift button. The alphabet, numbers and space and enter, arrow keys and shift key is all you need. Basically look at your keyboard right now. The Numberpad and the arrow keys square part can be removed and you are left with something thats barely 30cm wide.)

I am extremely wary of a Keyboard and Mouse combo however. Personally I just want a keyboard (it could even be a scaled down version without so much keys) and if there is going to be a keyboard and mouse combo I will certainly won't be using that. It won't matter if I keep getting beaten online (in FPSs), I prefer the tremendous fun of actually pulling a trigger. Again, click a mouse or pull the trigger, your choice. For RTS and the likes I guess I am going to stick with my joypad and use the anologue sticks. Maybe I will even get that pad with a roller ball (acting like a mouse) but I doubt it.

Zion
08-08-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Woocifer
A keyboard has 104 keys or so... That honkin huge chunk of garbage controller for that new mech game coming out has 40 buttons, two joysticks and 3 foot pedals.

There is no ******* difference between these two things other than your little minds can't see past the amount of usage that a full keyboard of buttons could add to any game.

Does this mean the huge 40 button honkin controller is an unfair advantage as well? Does that mean people never should have bought the Controller-S either because it is different than the regular xbox controller?

Don't be so ignorant. And the fact that the dreamcast had a keyboard does not explain its demise...it was lack of advertising and its timing in the market...which btw is something Microsoft faces too..

Where the PHUCK is all the advertising? The console will never prosper if people aren't constantly reminded how well it looks and plays.

Keyboards in, whiney people who cry over spilt milk out.

All your whining is not going to get you a keyboard/mouse. It's NOT coming out, they've already said it will NEVER come out. You lose.

OppiumNitrates
08-08-2002, 10:01 AM

Dude take your own advice and . . .

Don't be so ignorant.

the regular controllers and S controllers arnt exactly the same (and this goes for the other contorllers as well Madcatz, Gamster etc.) but they all have 2 analog sticks, a D-pad, 2 triggers, A, B, X, Y, white, black, start, and back buttons the same can not be said about a keyboard it has none of these except 'A', 'B', 'X', and 'Y' buttons :cool:

and that 40 buttton Steal batalion controller will only work with Steal batalin(as of now but other games said they would support it down the road) and the reg controller DONT work for steal batalion so everyone playing SB would have a standard input device . . . the same can not be said if some people are playing FPS with the mouse and keyboard and some are playing it with a controller . . . .

Mercury
08-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Having no M/K for the xbox makes it different from the rest of the consoles. If they do release both, with they won't, I might as well get a PS2.

Having a M/K for a console is just plain dumb. It will never happen with the xbox. THANK YOU MS!!!!

JimmieDoogan
08-08-2002, 11:06 AM
I would prefer a keyboard/mouse for games like Enclave, Halo, Mech Assault, GunMetal, Unreal Championship, and the slew of other games that would just feel at home with a m/kb setup. I bet Enclave's battle system wouldn't feel so clunky if we had those two simple cost effective items. I wouldn't use it for communication, but DEAF people could. I would not call my Xbox a PC because it had a M/KB setup, the DC has it... the PS1 had it, hell I think the N64 even had a mouse (not sure about a keyboard though). Wouldn't bug me one bit, it would benefit me. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

peejay2288
08-08-2002, 07:55 PM
I say we're okay with the letter pad we already got on our xbox controllers. We can still spell a few words. i.e. bay, ax, ya,

Afro Aura
08-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

Dude take your own advice and . . .

40 buttton Steal batalion controller will only work with Steal batalin(as of now but other games said they would support it down the road) and the reg controller DONT work for steal batalion so everyone playing SB would have a standard input device . . . the same can not be said if some people are playing FPS with the mouse and keyboard and some are playing it with a controller . . . .
I agree with you mate as having people playing with K/M would really upset the flow, there are some people who have been playing FPS on the PC for years which would give them an advantage, I've never played any FPS on a PC so I'd get my @ss kicked in, now I'm OK playing Halo with a controller I might get my butt kick in but at least I know someone has done it using a controller and I know at least I have a chance of getting my vengeance as we are on equal terms, if the K/M where introduced into the FPS I don't think I'd be playing any of them online

so yeah I'm against having the K/M for the XBOX, the XBOX controller rulz and so be it

CrazyCougar
08-12-2002, 02:36 PM
The Xbox is not a computer! Its a console and thats it! A very good one , but just a console...No need for a mouse and keyboard. Thats just stupid, that what my puter is for.

Woocifer
08-12-2002, 03:31 PM
I seriously do not understand any of you. The keyboard and mouse are input devices... they don't make a computer a computer. If anything I welcome all peripherals and apparently most of you did not realise this. More or less what is being said is because a controller has more than the allotted buttons on it than the Xbox controller then it is completely acceptable UNLESS you call it a 'keyboard' or 'mouse'. Would it be okay to use a joystick on the Xbox? SURE why not! Just as long as it doesnt have letters on it we are happy. What about a steering wheel and pedals? Hell yes! We can't type or point with a steering wheel so everything is okay..... say what?

Perhaps you should drop the notion of 'computer' here and just focus on PERIPHERAL. If someone has one of those snowboarding peripherals, does that make it unfair? Is it wrong because hey its a video game and I'm not snowboarding? A steering wheel, hey sorry its a video game and you cannot simulate using a steering wheel because ITS A VIDEO GAME...well how about typing and using my mouse to point and direct my movement... of course not, that would be an unfair advantage...and how exactly is that? Let me ask you another question, if having a keyboard and mouse is so much of an advantage, why wouldnt you want to use one in the first place to be the best you could be?

What kind of closed minds deny someone from pushing buttons on a different controller while using their game systems. And to think that just because you all think it is unfair that someone is better with a mouse and keyboard than they are with a joypad is outrageous and completely dismissing.

Who are you to say what I can and cannot have on my console just because you think you will lose because I may have more experience using a keyboard and mouse? That's none of your business and really sounds pretty juvenile to complain that someone has an advantage because they are more adapted to something other than you are. I suppose people using sign language or speaking in another language you may not know is purely obnoxious just because you aren't in on it right?

Realise its just buttons and a pointing device... if anything it isn't digital/analog, nor does it have force feedback, and you need a desktop to be able to use it, but it is still just an input device...just like the controller...just like the steering wheel...just like the snowboard.

The reasons are pretty weak to be jumping down my throat. So I jumped down all of yours. Sorry but since you guys are using a keyboard to post these messages, I thought it was really unfair.

M/K or no M/K doesn't make much of a difference to me. I would prefer to play games like Comandos 2 with a keyboard and mouse, WHICH will stop me from buying it on this and buying it for me pc instead. But the subject at hand isn't what this is about. The logic and rational points in here are seemingly ass backwards.

With this kind of mentality we would still be sitting here playing with Atari joysticks...one button...one stick...everyone is equally disabled...makes so much sense guys.

Dre
08-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Good post Woocifer. I agree with you on almost everything.

However, I think that when it comes to a service like Xbox Live, measures should be taken to ensure that everybody is using the same form of input device. Why give someone an advantage over another?

For personal use, I'm totally up for a k/m setup. I just believe that when Xbox live comes around EVERYONE should be starting with the same kind of setup.

Also, the choice to use a different input device sometimes doesn't just come to a matter of personal preference. It can be a multitude of things such as financial reasons or even just comfort...playing with a mouse and keyboard on your lap isn't exactly the most relaxing/convenient thing in the world.