PDA

View Full Version : Words from Bethsoft on the Dirty Disk Error

jschelm
08-06-2002, 07:06 AM
*************This is from the Official Morrowind Board*******

We have had a few reports from users who experience a dirty disc message even though their disc and Xbox seem to be working properly. We’re doing our best to investigate this problem, but as it is so rare, we have not been able to isolate it. If we do find a cause and solution for you, we’ll let you know immediately. Some users say that wiping their cache solves this problem.

Wiping your Morrowind Cache

This can be done in two ways:

1) Play 3 other Xbox games
Play 3 other games, before playing Morrowind again. You simply must load the 3 other games on your Xbox, then load Morrowind again.

Different games cache at different times, so there is no guarantee that every Xbox game out there will cache at the initial load up. The Xbox needs 3 other games to cache their information before Morrowind’s cache gets cleared.

2) Delete Morrowind from your Xbox Hard Drive
You will need an Xbox memory unit for this. To clear your cache with a memory unit, follow these steps.

1. Turn on the Xbox console with no disc in the disk tray.
2. Select MEMORY, and then select Xbox Hard Disk.
3. Select the specific individual saved game name in the collection of saved games.
4. Select COPY to move that saved game to an Xbox Memory Unit.
5. After the save game you want to keep is safely stored on your memory
card, select the Xbox Hard Disk again.
6. Select Morrowind from the list of games, then select Delete.
7. After Morrowind is deleted, select your memory card again, and select your save game.
8. Select Copy and copy it to the Xbox Hard Disk.
9. Insert your Morrowind disk and play from your save.

UPDATE: 7/30

We have worked with save games sent by gamers and have found that turning the autosave option off in the Options menu and then every one to two hours, saving your current game and then loading the save game may also clear up this error. If you are currently experiencing the dirty disc message sooner than 2 hours, you should save and reload your game earlier.

Saving frequently will not solve the problem by itself. You must load the game after you save it.

Mike Fridley
Associate Producer: QA
Bethesda Softworks
Raid- Tough on Bugs.

I think that since they think this is an infrequent error we might want to all start e-mailing them to let them know this is a HUGE problem. I guess if only 1/50th or less of the people with this problem are e-mailing them they won't realize how bad it is.

John002
08-06-2002, 07:19 AM
Who do I email? It is a huge problem. Everyone I know that has Morrowind has experienced this problem eventually.

Tkf5000
08-06-2002, 09:22 AM
i used to be te guy that never experienced it except once i started the game. the day b4 yeasterday night it did it 3 times when i was playing! and yesterday it did it a couple more times. it semms like if you push a lot of buttons it does it faster. like i was using boots to levitate up a hill then i changed my boots back to my good boots then killed a cliff racer and checked my map. it semms once u get your file over 200 memory blocks it starts doing that. i think everybody has already seen that letter. someoine posted it a while ago. but thanks for the 7/30 update.

Shadow20002
08-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Well, this may be some kind of solutions that we need for the "dirty disc error" but how about the many bugs that occur in the game ? Or i will say how about a patch file ??

Tkf5000
08-06-2002, 05:44 PM
all that bethesda is saying is they might have some with xbox live. but by the time xbox live comes out well be playing other games like unreal and stuff. i wish that you could like get a disc from them and get patches and mods burnt onto the disc for like 50 cents per mod or like 5 dollars for a upgrade disc with the top mods. or put like the top 10 mods on the OXM disc...

jschelm
08-06-2002, 08:41 PM
I think one problem with this might be that MS is dead set against letting devs do patches to XBox games. Not only would it be bad publicity for them, but it would encourage game devs to start releasing games sooner to get an extra buck and then just put out a patch to fix all their screw ups. I might be wrong, but I think about all we could hope for is for a new fixed version to be sent to us or we will have to live with it.

John002
08-07-2002, 05:43 AM
I'm so frustrated with the problem, I want to throw the disc out the window. I finally get a character to the level at which I can complete the Main Quest and now I have to deal with this "dirty disc sh*t. I think it's time to shelf the game for good. I loved it, but now I hate it. I feel like Bethesda scr*wed me.
:mad:

elitewp
08-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Bethesda is notorious for creating games that freeze and have glitches in them. Sea Dogs was my first experience with them. I had to install about 5 different patches so I could play longer than 15 mintues without a crash. They make great games, but they need to work on the beta testing before they release their software. Just curious...if anyone has the PC version...how stable is it?

-EW

Supperdog
08-16-2002, 06:06 PM
funny, i've been playing morrowind like a madman for a while without a single problem...

i mean NOTHING

pwn@g3

:P

John002
08-17-2002, 05:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Supperdog
funny, i've been playing morrowind like a madman for a while without a single problem...

i mean NOTHING

pwn@g3

:P [/QUOTE

I said that also early on, but just wait. I thought everyone else was nuts.
:)

Tkf5000
08-17-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by John002
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Supperdog

i mean NOTHING

pwn@g3

:P [/QUOTE

I said that also early on, but just wait. I thought everyone else was nuts.
:) lol same exaxct thing with me lol. i thought my xbox was like superxbox or sumthin.