PDA

View Full Version : Modchips for xbox?

DenniZz81
08-06-2002, 02:37 PM
I guess nobody has not noticed that there are chips out for xbox now. What do you think of it?

The only reason i could think of getting one is that i could play games i would never get to play if i hadnt got the chip.. we dont get all the games here =(

Snoopy7548
08-06-2002, 03:03 PM
ive known about the modchips for a long time. i wanna get one so bad, not just for copying games. but theyre beginning to port pc games to the xbox, and emulators for like snes, nes, genesis, mame. i would get one, but im afraid ill ruin my xbox, cause ive never soldered anything before

Plewis
08-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
ive known about the modchips for a long time. i wanna get one so bad, not just for copying games. but theyre beginning to port pc games to the xbox, and emulators for like snes, nes, genesis, mame. i would get one, but im afraid ill ruin my xbox, cause ive never soldered anything before

im with snoopy on this one...

DenniZz81
08-06-2002, 04:52 PM

luckily for you, there is people wo does this for money. i know a place here in sweden but not sure about any place in the us... but there must be! just search the web..

Integra Man
08-06-2002, 04:56 PM
im getting mine really really soon. going down to china town and then buying games for 5 CND. i know this is really bad but Im saving up for my car. please dont yell at me:( and plus over here in canada they over charge like a byyzzatch. its 79.99 plus tax thats like 90 bucks. Way too much!

Spike Minoda
08-06-2002, 05:10 PM
I dont wanna take my xbox apart

http://www.xboxchip.com/disassembly.html

Plewis
08-06-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ZGXB
im getting mine really really soon. going down to china town and then buying games for 5 CND. i know this is really bad but Im saving up for my car. please dont yell at me:( and plus over here in canada they over charge like a byyzzatch. its 79.99 plus tax thats like 90 bucks. Way too much!

the currency is different here.... a canadian dollar is worth like 60something american cents or something.... but I wont yell... id be a hypocrit... but Im doin it for PC ports... and anyone who pirates music would be a hypocrit to flame you either....

Integra Man
08-06-2002, 06:06 PM
:) thank you YAY i didnt get yelled at

but thats true same thing goes with pc games, songs, programs which everyone does.

Chr0nik
08-07-2002, 07:04 AM
There is a guy in Montreal who does it for 250.00 canadian chip and installation included. He also guarantees the chip for the life of your Xbox (defective, obscelete, etc...)

My friend got it done, but he does not have any copied games yet. He has a ton of ISO images, but a lack of a DVD burner.

SkoalMint
08-07-2002, 08:40 AM
Before you go modding your Xbox you might want to consider whether or not it will effect your ability to go on Xbox Live (assuming your planning to). As of yet, I haven't heard a definitive answer one way or another, and I don't think we will until Xbox Live goes live and they can test these modded Xbox's. I wouldn't put it past MS to have developed some type of method to determine whether or not a box has been modded. I for one would not want to have to buy another box just to go on Xbox Live.

Spaztic
08-07-2002, 09:39 AM
you can make a switch to boot from the "hacked bios" or the origional bios. It isn't very hard, and that would gaurentee that you could play on xbox live!

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 09:47 AM
But will the people who have modships, still buy the good excluisive games. Because if they dont then the Xbox games will fail.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Before you go modding your Xbox you might want to consider whether or not it will effect your ability to go on Xbox Live (assuming your planning to). As of yet, I haven't heard a definitive answer one way or another, and I don't think we will until Xbox Live goes live and they can test these modded Xbox's. I wouldn't put it past MS to have developed some type of method to determine whether or not a box has been modded. I for one would not want to have to buy another box just to go on Xbox Live.

yea, microsoft will do something about that. i heard that they will check for a modchip, and they will like flash the bios or something. theres a thing about it on the forums at www.xboxhacker.net

DenniZz81
08-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508
But will the people who have modships, still buy the good excluisive games. Because if they dont then the Xbox games will fail.

well i know i will still buy the good games. I will only download the games i would never buy. If everybody does that, it wont hurt the sales.

Zen
08-07-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SkoalMint

First of all this is bull****, Microsoft sells you the machine and at that point your aloud to do as you wish with it... you can smash it with a hammer and they wont penelize you, your warranty however will be broken when you open the box up.... they cannot flash your Bios as sombody posted, unless they want to pay you for a new Xbox because of deformation of property. now if they notice your playing a copied game somehow... thats a different story, but sorry to say for microsoft... in the end the hackers always get around everything, thats just the way it goes...

also...
this has been discussed so many times with the people who are actually coding and cracking Xbox security and Bios software... if any of you guys are on Irc you could go to some of the rooms where these doods hang out and get the real skinny instead off of boards with kids who Lie about $hit all the time.... like for instance the kid claiming he's only waiting on his freind to get a DVD burner... almost every xbox game fits onto a regular Cd disc... beleive it or not, a couple don't but alot do.

My Xbox is modded, my next door neighbor does it at his work with some kinda e Prong burner or i dunno what the hell he said, but he did it for me for 50 bux, he then showed me what he did at his house before slosing the box up, it was clean and exactly how i heard it was supposed to be done... since then ive been playing every game i can get my burner on.

Surfs up on Free games, nothing to be afraid of

Zen
08-07-2002, 11:04 AM
theres an emulator in the works for Ps2 and gamecube games... thats a big reason i Modded my box...

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 11:05 AM
thats cool. but, its good to use a dvd burner. since you know that every game will fit (the reason most games do fit on a cdr, is because theyre ripped, meaning they took the music out, and some of the movies too). and if you use a dvd burner, you know you can fit any game that will come out (its not like every game is gonna be 700mb or 1 gig, a lot of games coming out will be really big)

Zen
08-07-2002, 11:08 AM
thats cool. but, its good to use a dvd burner. since you know that every game will fit (the reason most games do fit on a cdr, is because theyre ripped, meaning they took the music out, and some of the movies too). and if you use a dvd burner, you know you can fit any game that will come out (its not like every game is gonna be 700mb or 1 gig, a lot of games coming out will be really big)

true...

Still waiting for prices on those Burners to come down

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 11:23 AM
not if youre just making back-ups of your games. and how will they find out if youre pirating software? they cant, unless they come to your house and see it. and even if they did find out, wouldnt you be smart enough to hide or destroy the pirated stuff?

Chaotic
08-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark

O.K. you are wrong there. If you have a modded xbox and dont do anything with it then you are fine. But if you are pirateing games to play on your xbox then you could have a possible lawsuit from MS and from the game developers. Since pirating software is illegal.. So you are weront there

You guys worry about too many little things , MS has better things to worry about then some kid pirating software. They go for the big fish not the bait :rolleyes:

SkoalMint
08-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Zen

First of all this is bull****, Microsoft sells you the machine and at that point your aloud to do as you wish with it... you can smash it with a hammer and they wont penelize you, your warranty however will be broken when you open the box up.... they cannot flash your Bios as sombody posted, unless they want to pay you for a new Xbox because of deformation of property. now if they notice your playing a copied game somehow... thats a different story, but sorry to say for microsoft... in the end the hackers always get around everything, thats just the way it goes...

I have to disagree with you on this. I'm pretty sure that if MS feels that there is a serious enough problem with modding, one possible solution would be to incorporate some type of EULA with Xbox Live that would prevent people from using the service if they have modded their Xbox. In other words, the agreement could say that you consent to them flashing the bios of your Xbox. I suspect that this would be a relatively simple thing for them to do when you install the Xbox Live software from the disc. So you pay $50 for the Xbox Live kit, install it on your modded Xbox, and get a message that says you cannot use Xbox Live since your Xbox has been modded. Hopefully, you will get your $50 back, or you can wait until someone figures out a way around it. I do believe that the hackers will eventually figure out a way around it However, I also believe that MS will come up with another solution. It is a never-ending cycle with the modders caught in the middle (i.e., constantly having to update your system with the latest hack). My reason for pointing this out to DenniZz81 is that he only a discussed a reason to mod his Xbox, and I was just trying to point out a possible reason not to. Personally, I have considered modding my Xbox, and I still may do it. However, I think I will wait until I can afford a second box and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 11:39 AM
yea, and whats the point of modding your xbox and not doing anything with it? thats just a waste of money

Zen
08-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark

O.K. you are wrong there. If you have a modded xbox and dont do anything with it then you are fine. But if you are pirateing games to play on your xbox then you could have a possible lawsuit from MS and from the game developers. Since pirating software is illegal.. So you are weront there
Snoop basically covered what im about to say...

anyways, i said exactly what your saying by saying unless they figure out youve got copied games somehow, for that to happen youd have to be playing a copied game online other then that they will not have a clue, Wrong where?

Skoal, you brought up a valid point in the beggining...and i dont disagree microsoft will try their best, but they can't do anything to your xbox without your knowledge, i do understand that they might hide it in the fine print somewhere... ill look for it when all this comes out. the cool thing is they will just come out with a stealth modchip like they did for the Ps1 and it couldnt be detected... question is... how hard is it, if possible at all...to swap modchips?

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Zen

Snoop basically covered what im about to say...

anyways, i said exactly what your saying by saying unless they figure out youve got copied games somehow, for that to happen youd have to be playing a copied game online other then that they will not have a clue, Wrong where?

Skoal, you brought up a valid point in the beggining...and i dont disagree microsoft will try their best, but they can't do anything to your xbox without your knowledge, i do understand that they might hide it in the fine print somewhere... ill look for it when all this comes out. the cool thing is they will just come out with a stealth modchip like they did for the Ps1 and it couldnt be detected... question is... how hard is it, if possible at all...to swap modchips?

Will you still buy the good excluisive games?

Kleen
08-08-2002, 01:48 PM
READ THIS. NO MOD CHIP CHECK - straight from M$ (That's the word, anyway):

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-948804.html?tag=fd_top

SkoalMint
08-09-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Kleen
READ THIS. NO MOD CHIP CHECK - straight from M$ (That's the word, anyway):

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-948804.html?tag=fd_top

Interesting read. Good find Kleen. With only 9 soldering points and an on/off feature, this chip just might be the answer. I'd be interested to hear from any XBA's that try this chip, especially after XBL goes live.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
08-09-2002, 05:03 AM
mmm..i got two xboxes..the one with a modchip. (i don't play bootleg games..why would you want to play an hacked up game..missing movies and music?) I like emulators like mame, super nes and genesis games on my xbox is like a dream come true...can't seem to get that divx player to work..there are a few japanese games i am going to import.....and i have one without (chipless)...just for xbox live:) The bad thing about emulators on the xbox is it's limited memory...Some of the larger games won't play on my xbox. Alot of my friends say it's a lot of trouble to play old and moldy arcade games.

Snoopy7548
08-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
(i don't play bootleg games..why would you want to play an hacked up game..missing movies and music?)

you could just buy a dvd burner and rip and burn the games yourself, without ripping out the movies and music.

Kleen
08-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Snoop's right. As for XBL, you could install a disable switch for the mod. If you read carefully the M$ guy in the article said that M$ won't be checking for MODs through XBOX Live. I think I'll put in the disable switch anyway, just in case. Then Wait to see if anyone get's busted. I got through the second XBL survey, so next week I expect to here some good news.

Kleen
08-09-2002, 02:35 PM
I was thinking that if you install XBL, and you have EvoX installed on your HDD, you probably want to switch the dashboards back first. XBL might want to add a link to the M$Dashboard.