PDA

View Full Version : I'm goingto purchase a new tv for my Xbox. What should I get???



consolegamer
08-07-2002, 10:23 AM
I have a 36" sharp now and I'm running my xbox through svideo. I was thinking on getting a sony vega. It's only 32", but I heard the resolution is way better cause it's flat screen. What would you people suggest? Should I get the vega or not? Also does it support the high-definition pack? I really need some feedback on this.:confused:

Or should I just keep what I have and invest in a 5.1 receiver

OppiumNitrates
08-07-2002, 10:36 AM
humm thats a rough situation . . . i have the 27" Sony Wega and it does support the component input, and a frined of mine just bought the 36" Wega with the curved speakers on the side and its a great TV, but if u alread have a nice 36" TV that suports the S-video i personally would get the 5.1 reciver and some high quality speakers its really worth it, and since most Xbox games support that option its a must for gaming (for me anyway) i have played Halo where the surround sound saved my life, no joke. I had the volume cranked up and i was standing around looking for my ememy in a 1v1 and i heard the foot steps in the rear speakers, so before he could melee me in the back of the skull, i turned and droped a grenade . ... . well anyway it really can bring your gaming to the next level . . . get the reciver now then get the TV down the road a bit, thats my $.02

Chr0nik
08-07-2002, 10:54 AM
May I suggest.............



Drooling (http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?itemid=26881&bb=wega&scatid=9903&hierc=9685x9901)

Chaotic
08-07-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Chronik
May I suggest.............



Drooling (http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?itemid=26881&bb=wega&scatid=9903&hierc=9685x9901)

I was going to suggest the same think i have one and its awesome!!! :) :eek: :cool:

OppiumNitrates
08-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Yo i walked into the Wiz and passed the TV section and that Grand Waga's picture was glowing compared to the other TV's pictures, i was very impressed, probly 1 of the best TVs on the market right now

DBXNY
08-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by consolegamer
I have a 36" sharp now and I'm running my xbox through svideo. I was thinking on getting a sony vega. It's only 32", but I heard the resolution is way better cause it's flat screen. What would you people suggest? Should I get the vega or not? Also does it support the high-definition pack? I really need some feedback on this.:confused:

Or should I just keep what I have and invest in a 5.1 receiver

Component doesn't really mean much over S-video unless you get an HDTV set. Otherwise, if you really just want a flat screen TV, I'd also suggest looking at the Panasonic Tau's. They're just as good as Wegas but cost less. Wegas are great TVs, but they are much overpriced simply because they have Sony's name on it.

If I were in your shoes and I couldn't afford to upgrade to an HDTV display, I would keep your exsisting TV and invest in the 5.1 Surround setup. The "wow" factor would be greater since you already have a fairly large screen.

SkoalMint
08-07-2002, 12:44 PM
Just curious here. Are the Wega's true HDTV? I know they are 16:9, but isn't there a difference?

robnyack
08-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Wegas are analog sets, not digital, although, as pictured above, they are starting to put out large screen rear projection HDTV Wega sets.

But, beware, the regular sets are analog, not digital.

My suggestion to the thread parent, if you are going to invest that much into a Wega 32", put a little bit extra in and get a widescreen rear projection HDTV. You will thank yourself for years to come. It makes no sense to buy a analog set when they are basically on their way out.

besides, the Wega sets weighs about 5 billion pounds. You would need to reinforce your floor to get one :p

DBXNY
08-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Just curious here. Are the Wega's true HDTV? I know they are 16:9, but isn't there a difference?

Actually, it depends. Some Wegas are HDTVs some are not. I think the smallest HDTV Wega is like 34". Also, not all are 16:9 sets. However, i believe most, if not all, 4:3 Wegas have a "16:9 enhanced mode". This mode just allows the set to squeeze all the resolution of a 16:9 video signal into the 4:3 screen, but still as letterboxed. This isn't the same as watching 16:9 material on an actual 16:9 display.

Zion
08-07-2002, 01:20 PM
Man, look at a Panasonic Tau before you buy a Wega. You'll wonder why you ever wanted a Wega!

Integra Man
08-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by TheMentorsXbox


I was going to suggest the same think i have one and its awesome!!! :) :eek: :cool:

u have one!!!


can i come over please

or buy me one