PDA

View Full Version : GameCube Beating Xbox But not for long

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 09:38 AM
According to a Reuters report released today, Nintendo's next-generation GameCube console has amassed a considerable hardware sales lead over Microsoft's Xbox platform since the two systems debuted worldwide. But this could be a short-lived lead if analysts are to be believed.
GameCube has sold through 4.8 million pieces of hardware around the globe compared to 3.8 million Xbox units, cited a study conducted by the Ziff Davis Media Game Group, which polled some 2,000 videogame players.

Interestingly, though, the study also showed that 15 percent of those surveyed wanted to buy an Xbox compared to just nine percent GameCube. Based on those results, the Media Group projected that Xbox will see a total installed base rise to 13.7 million homes globally in 2003 versus 11.2 GameCube owners in the same year.

--IGN

VenoM
08-07-2002, 11:07 AM
hmm..once mario comes out...sales will increase on the gc..not only that but metroid due out this fall too..i cant see the GC dropping in sales anytime soon..but who cares...:p i have xbox and GC..doesnt matter to me who sales more...love them both

Tkf5000
08-07-2002, 11:13 AM
well our sales should go up cuz xbox live,steel battalion, fable, brute force, unreal, etc. our highly anticipated games are better than a a little kiddy mario game where u shoot plants with a water gun. i cant belive thats the "big game" for gamecube.

robnyack
08-07-2002, 11:53 AM
i jsut read that since the price cuts, xbox actually has outsold GC in Japan. That has got to make MS happy.

DBXNY
08-07-2002, 12:03 PM
I'm not so sure about Mario Sunshine. It's getting alot of hype because it's Mario, but so far, the previews and info that I've come accross suggest that it's not really a breakthrough game. Both the graphics and gameplay are reminiscent of Super Mario 64. I think it may suffer the same fate as Luigi's Mansion.

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 12:54 PM
Heres a longer version of the article, and it states something about Mario effecting sales:

"SAN FRANCISCO, Aug 6 (Reuters) - The GameCube video game console has opened a wide lead in its user base over the rival Xbox, but the Xbox is closing fast as the two jockey for position to challenge the industry-leading PlayStation 2, according to a study issued on Tuesday.

Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s 7974.OS GameCube is installed in 4.8 million homes, compared to 3.8 million for Microsoft Corp.'s MSFT.O Xbox, the Ziff Davis Media Game Group reported in a study of some 2,000 video game players.

However, the study showed 15 percent of those people polled want to buy an Xbox, compared with just 9 percent for GameCube. Based on those figures, Ziff Davis projected that in 2003 Xbox's installed base will rise to 13.7 million homes, compared to just 11.2 million for GameCube.

Neither matches industry leader Sony Corp. 6758.T and its PlayStation 2. The publisher of gaming magazines said the PS2 has a user base of 14.1 million units now, expected to rise to 24.1 million by 2003.

The study also showed 50 percent of Xbox users have a broadband Internet connection, compared with 41 percent of PS2 owners and 31 percent of GameCube owners. All three will launch online broadband gaming later this year.

Ziff Davis also polled people on their favorite game franchises, with Nintendo's "Mario" franchise top-rated. The latest title in that franchise, "Super Mario Sunshine," will be released later this month.

The video game market has become big business, with sales of game hardware and software expected to reach $30 billion internationally this year.

Financial analysts are predicting a multiyear cycle of record growth and profits for game publishers, owing to the heated competition in the industry."

lllSmokelll
08-07-2002, 01:23 PM
its cause sales are better than xbox in japan