PDA

View Full Version : Which Console has the best online g aming strategy?

Integra Man
08-07-2002, 12:31 PM
I read this in the latest Electronic Gaming Monthly This is what they said

XBOX 42%
no adapter to buy, but ur limied strictly to broadband and have to pay a monthly fee

PS2 37%
Buy a 56k/broadband adapter separtely($39.99) and play online for free.

GAMECUBE 21%
Buy either a 56k or broadband adapter separately ($34.99) and play online for free.

pretty intresting eh

robnyack
08-07-2002, 12:33 PM
I think if the entire plans were laid out, people would overwhelmingly pick the xbox live plan. Afterall, xbox live really is the only "live PLAN". ps2's "plan" is hardly a plan at all. put an adaptor out and let game developers handle the rest.

OppiumNitrates
08-07-2002, 12:35 PM
thoes numbers look skewed too me, anyone with a full understanding of the plans wouldnt make any other choice then Xbox, i mean no other system even has a HDD or modem built

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 01:36 PM
with the ps2, you probly have to pay. since the developers are the ones who are running the servers. they can charge you to play their games. but i think xbox live is the best plan. its broadband only, so you dont have dial-up people lagging the servers. its like impossible to play online with a dial up connection.

Zion
08-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ZGXB

XBOX 42%
no adapter to buy, but ur limied strictly to broadband and have to pay a monthly fee

PS2 37%

GAMECUBE 21%
Buy either a 56k or broadband adapter separately ($34.99) and play online for free.

pretty intresting eh

PS2 online play WILL NOT BE FREE! The servers are being run by the game developers and NOT by Sony, meaning that they can charge whatever they want. You'll probably be looking at $9.95 per month PER GAME to play the PS2 online.

The way I see it the Xbox is the ONLY console with an online gaming plan.

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 02:05 PM
WTF? Its not free to go online. They charge you monthly for each game you play. THOSE ****ERS.

DZNUTZ
08-07-2002, 02:12 PM
game developers can charge whateva they want
some games will be free
some will be pay to play
some will be broadband only
some will support both broadband and 56***

regardless of these things....xboxlive will crush ps2 and GC in terms of their online strategy.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 02:15 PM
did u know, that if u have dial up, only 2 people can play that twisted metal game? lol. and if you have dial up, you cant even play socom.

Highlite23
08-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Obviouslly this is gonna sound biased in here, but MS has the goods. No add-ons, i price, end of discussion. Even though in the current market Broadband isn't mainstream (Yet) they still have the better plan.

I don't have Broadband available in my area yet, and i can't wait to play on line. But i sure as hell no which system has the most bang for my buck.

On a side note pertaining to Faceoff508's comment...I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not, but a few of my PS2 freinds reacted the same way when they finally understood exactlly how Sony's plan will work. I think Sony, intentionally or not, may have misled their users with the word "FREE".

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 02:20 PM
yea, and with xbox, you have 1 username and password for every game, and 1 credit card number for every game (meaning, once you enter your credit card number, you never have to enter it again). but with sony's plan, you have a different username/password for every game, and you have to use your credit card number for each game. so, all i gotta say to the ps2 users is, you better stock up on notebooks! lol

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
Obviouslly this is gonna sound biased in here, but MS has the goods. No add-ons, i price, end of discussion. Even though in the current market Broadband isn't mainstream (Yet) they still have the better plan.

I don't have Broadband available in my area yet, and i can't wait to play on line. But i sure as hell no which system has the most bang for my buck.

On a side note pertaining to Faceoff508's comment...I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not, but a few of my PS2 freinds reacted the same way when they finally understood exactlly how Sony's plan will work. I think Sony, intentionally or not, may have misled their users with the word "FREE".

Yeah, when I had the August EGM mag with me and my friend saw the word free, and hes like wow. I can play online for free. But then I told him. Sony is tricking people to think that they have the cheapest online strategy.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 02:23 PM
sony doesnt even care about online gaming. theyre not even doing anything. theyre just telling the developers to host the servers. all sony is doing is producing the harddrive and adapter.

l Maximus l
08-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ZGXB

XBOX 42%

PS2 37%

GAMECUBE 21%

pretty intresting eh

Actually, Microsoft hasn't announced that there will be a monthly fee. It's rumored that there will be a monthly fee after an entire year...but, no confirmation about that.

To get XBox Live, the name of Microsoft's $3 Billion on-line network, it will cost consumers a mere $49.99. For that price, us lucky XBox gamers will get in return 12 months of unlimited access, a game, and the XBox Communicator so you can talk live to people from around the world.

How is it possible for Sony or Nintendo to compete with that?

Yes, the XBox requires broadband...I say: GOOD! :D

robnyack
08-07-2002, 04:10 PM
as I said previously, xbox is the only one of the 3 that actually have a true "plan". The other two are just cobb-jobs thrown together with no real rhyme or reason.

Marc
08-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Although it may sound biased, it is the simple truth that the xbox live plan is the ONLY plan. If you take Sony's plan you have to buy the extra equipment and pay for every game you want to play as oppossed to paying 9.95 to play all of them. Whatever...no one else even HAS an online strategy.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 04:25 PM
lol, max. did u get the beta test emails?

y2kash_14
08-07-2002, 04:29 PM
I choose the PS2 plan, simply because it will be available to 56k users also. I hate the idea that Microsoft had to make it Broadband exclusive, their are FAR more people with Dial-Up than their are using Broadband. Right now is just not the time to make a Broadband exclusive plan, its too soon.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 04:30 PM
so you would want 56kers lagging up the game?

robnyack
08-07-2002, 04:36 PM
their are FAR more people with Dial-Up than their are using Broadband.

it's all about positioning for the future.

god, to be on the side of the guys who actually think 5 years down the road. Now that's what we mean by a PLAN.

it's good.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 04:38 PM
yea, and if they made xbl so that dial up users could play, it would be so bad. because since there are far more dial up users than broadband, most of the servers would have dial up users on them, so like every server would be lagging so much

robnyack
08-07-2002, 04:43 PM
snoopy, no offense, but we don't want 56kers on our game network.

I played many seasons of Madden 2002 and 2001 with 56kers, and it's HELL. Lag-sacks, lag-ints, lag-incompletions, lag-missed FGs, etc, etc, etc. Awful, just awful.

Not having to consider 56k users, game developers can be free of the limitations they put on them when developing a game.

As they said at E3, "playing a game using 56k is like trying to suck a pizza through a straw."

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 04:47 PM
lol, i never said that i would want 56kers, read my post again. lol, read it carefully this time. haha:)

y2kash_14
08-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Microsoft would be hell of a lot more succesful if they made it available to people with 56k, because like i said their are many more 56kers than their are people using Broadband.

robnyack
08-07-2002, 06:01 PM
i think you guys are missing the point. going broadband only will open the doors to xbox live crew and game developers. They will not be limited by 56kers. They can think bigger and give more. If you allow for 56k, you then automatically have to make sure 56kers can handle it. So, in effect, allowing 56k would only reduce everyones overall experience.

broadband only let's them swing the doors wide open. pour it on! full speed ahead!

symposiumx
08-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Zion
The way I see it the Xbox is the ONLY console with an online gaming plan.

So well put!

For PS2 and Gamecube, They do not even have a harddrive? So wouldn't the gamer have to buy one? (@ about $80-$100) ?

Plus the inconsistencies of having games basically "unsupervied" by either Sony or Nintendo. Letting each Dev. control the cost, set up, ect of their games is going to spell disaster for the PS2/GC customer.

maybe they are counting on them to be too young to understand online gaming concepts? <---appology for the gratuitous ps2er/gamecuber bashing.

Snoopy7548
08-07-2002, 06:52 PM
nintendo like isnt even doing anything. all we hear about is PSO.

symposiumx
08-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

I think Nintendo is doing something where you can download a game from the cube to a pocket station.

(raises index finger, twirls it around, shouts "yippeee" sarcastically, rolls eyes)

y2kash_14
08-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

they are focusing more on their kick-ass offline plan, their concentrating on hitting big with the Trio of, Mario, Link, and Samus, god i can't wait till Metroid Prime

lllSmokelll
08-07-2002, 07:55 PM
i like how ps2 and gc is free!!!

clutch
08-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Some online games for the PS2 wont be free, I dont know about gamecube though, a good example of this is Final Fantasy XI where the users have to pay a monthly fee.

robnyack
08-07-2002, 09:15 PM
ps2 will not be free. you could end up with the following situation:

play game #1: go to their server, go thru the registration process, give them your credit card, pay a fee

play game #2: go to their server, go thru the registration process, give them your credit card, pay a fee

play game #3:go to their server, go thru the registration process, give them your credit card, pay a fee

play game #4: go to their server, go thru the registration process, give them your credit card, pay a fee

you could have 10 games, and 8 of them could charge. Each one it's own fee. You would be wishing for one small fee real quick.

Zion
08-07-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by y2kash_14
I choose the PS2 plan, simply because it will be available to 56k users also. I hate the idea that Microsoft had to make it Broadband exclusive, their are FAR more people with Dial-Up than their are using Broadband. Right now is just not the time to make a Broadband exclusive plan, its too soon.

That's pretty darn stupid, man. If you want to game online, you're gonna HAVE to get broadband. Have you ever tried online gaming over a 56k dialup line? Other than the constant disconnects you'll have nothing but lag, no voice communication, and can't have more than 2 people in a game.

You might as well choose reel-to-reel movies over DVD movies even though DVD's are cheaper, easier, have more features, and are the future.

Zion
08-07-2002, 09:23 PM
Microsoft would be hell of a lot more succesful if they made it available to people with 56k, because like i said their are many more 56kers than their are people using Broadband.

Sorry, but as was stated before, we don't want 56k users on the network. Sorry, that's just the way it is. That would just defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

Zion
08-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by goldberg
i like how ps2 and gc is free!!!

Sorry dude, they are not free. You'll be paying a monthy fee for EACH game you play online.

Xbox is $49 for an entire year which includes unlimited play with an unlimited number of games. You also get a game ($49 by itself!) and the Xbox communicator headset.

Again, PS2 and GC online WILL NOT BE FREE. I don't know why people think that :rolleyes:

l Maximus l
08-07-2002, 09:27 PM

Microsoft was adament about attracting a very specific type of gamer...described as "hardcore" gamers...and, they said that they can do this with broadband.

Personally, I think 56K can go down with pull starters :D

NonFanboy
08-07-2002, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have a link that says you will have to pay to play online games on PS2 and GC?

SNaray8442
08-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Zion

Sorry dude, they are not free. You'll be paying a monthy fee for EACH game you play online.

Xbox is $49 for an entire year which includes unlimited play with an unlimited number of games. You also get a game ($49 by itself!) and the Xbox communicator headset.

Again, PS2 and GC online WILL NOT BE FREE. I don't know why people think that :rolleyes:

LOL, dude, I think he was joking about them being free

Anyway...XBL sounds like such a sweet deal. I can't buy a game for that price :eek:

Highlite23
08-08-2002, 09:09 AM
I don't have broadband, but you couldn't pay me enough to play through a 56K modem.

Been there done that, you'll get your hind side handed to you, not because your a bad player, but because by the time you react...your dead. TOO SLOW.

I want to have fun on-line, and getting pulverized isn't fun.

I would rather play my games a-la-syslink until BB is available to me.

I don't know what the average age around here is, but remeber when DVD's first came out. Everyone said NO ONE would buy all there movies over again and then a player. Have you looked around latelly. BB will be the norm soon enough.;)

Highlite23
08-08-2002, 09:19 AM
Oh, and by the way, all of you who believe you can play on-line for FREE, on any console...

NOTHING IS EVER FREE!!

You will pay in one way or another, trust me. Sony's ploy is simple. Our service is FREE, that's right SONY won't charge you a dime, except for the periferals you'll need. ( Which will cost you MORE than a 1yr romp with XBL and include a game and comunicator)

Now the developer, thats another story, there gonna want something out of this, don't you think.

Here's the way i see it, and they actually laid this out in OXM...

Sony wants to make money on the add-ons
The past has shown that add-ons just don't sell well.
The small percentage of players buying add-ons won't make it worth the hassle for developers. Not enough $$$.

This isn't Sony bashing, if this was the XBOX or GC with the same strategy it would crumble too.

peejay2288
08-08-2002, 05:36 PM
geez!, I knew it was too good to be true. We have a built in modem/ethernet but we are the only ones stuck with a monthly fee for the MAIN service. (gamespy and others are free)

peejay2288
08-08-2002, 05:40 PM
A fee for each game you play. OOOO! ok. Xbox is deffinetly better then. I didn't know that to play PS2 online there was a fee for every friggin game. But still, I wish we could just play anthing online for free!!!! Since I got my XBox 3 weeks ago, the PS2 seems to look worse and worse every week... maybe I'll sell it?