PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fever Not That Good!!!!

lllSmokelll
08-07-2002, 12:41 PM
NFL Fever03 got a 7.2 from gamepot, and 7.7 from IGN....they say its exsactly the same as Fever02 except for updated roster!!!

Chr0nik
08-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Do those ratings suprise you? Don't trust these sites, play the game, then you can be your own judge.

Integra Man
08-07-2002, 12:44 PM
i agree, they dont know how to rate games for ****

JJaX
08-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Fever 2002 gets a 2/10 in my book.

The gameplay is to arcady and it just blows.

I would expect the same thing out of 2003.

Play a real game like madden

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Fever 2002 gets a 2/10 in my book.

The gameplay is to arcady and it just blows.

I would expect the same thing out of 2003.

Play a real game like madden
you damn right! I read the reviews of both gamespot and ign. I agree with every single word that comes out of that review. I thought that Fever sucked in relation to Madden and 2k2 last year. And the fact that it was so overrated made me hate it more. Graphics are similar and gameplay is so much better in Madden and 2k2.

Highlite23
08-07-2002, 02:35 PM
I know it's sacralidge to some, but i never cared for Fever, as stated to arcadie, the players look to round and puffy, just didn't do a thing for me.

I'm a 2K fan, so i'm sticking with it, never been dissapointed, this years instalment is supposed to be phenominal acccording to most reports.

Madden, well, i have a bug up my butt concerning EA, i'll just leave it at that.

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac

you damn right! I read the reviews of both gamespot and ign. I agree with every single word that comes out of that review. I thought that Fever sucked in relation to Madden and 2k2 last year. And the fact that it was so overrated made me hate it more. Graphics are similar and gameplay is so much better in Madden and 2k2.

But do you wish it would get better, or do you want it to suck for iternity?

I doint really care about realism. NFL fever is easy to pick up, and is very fun. I love it.

yall
08-07-2002, 03:04 PM
I thought fever was ok. not great, but ok. 2k3 should be the best this year though. ever since 2k came out on the dc, sega sports has been ahead of ea in a.i., gameplay, graphics, and sound. the only category madden has over anyone this year is depth as far as gameply options go. but who honestly cares about that? football is meant to be multiplayer, and many of those options will most likely pertain to single player only stuff, ie dynasties. can you play madden on xbox live? nope. go sega.

JJaX
08-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508

But do you wish it would get better, or do you want it to suck for iternity?

I doint really care about realism. NFL fever is easy to pick up, and is very fun. I love it.

You dont care about realism, THEN WHY THE FUK ARE YOU PLAYING A FOOTBALL GAME?

Fever is for people who dont know chit about football. Ill leave it at that.

Segas Football games a respectable, But i lost faith cause my cousin kept using the Bucks and dunn would spin off every tackle. I hate games where you spin and you cant be tackled during the animations. Thats just lazy game design if you ask me. (although i heard these issues were addressed in 2k2 + 2k3)

But fever is just horrible. Enjoy all 1 of your powder puff tackles. Its weak.............

JJaX makes really loud and annoying fart sound and flips the computer off

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 03:42 PM

Segas Football games a respectable, But i lost faith cause my cousin kept using the Bucks and dunn would spin off every tackle. I hate games where you spin and you cant be tackled during the animations. Thats just lazy game design if you ask me. (although i heard these issues were addressed in 2k2 + 2k3)

But fever is just horrible. Enjoy all 1 of your powder puff tackles. Its weak.............

JJaX makes really loud and annoying fart sound and flips the computer off You damn right for the second time.

Like I said before, Fever is in a stupid part of the "football game realism continuum".

Blitz is extremely unrealistic, but that's what makes it so damn fun.
Madden would have to be the most realistic along with the most functions. This allows REAL football fans to appreciate it. The passing and running are all based on strategy. Same with 2k2... and I think they addressed some of the 2k1 and 2k2 problem in 2k3.

Fever isn't trying to be totally fake and not trying to be anything real. The game is stuck in a place where it's too fake for real football fans and gamers to appreciate. And too real for arcade type gamers to appreciate. However, the fan boys and ignorants like this game, and that's why it's still alive.

Marc
08-07-2002, 03:52 PM
I totally agree with you guys. If you don't care about realism play NFL Blitz. It's an arcade football game. Fever is an arcade football game attempting to come across as a sim and it just doesn't get the job done. The ESPN license should give Sega a BIG push this year. Madden will always be my favorite, especially since it is Madden himself that we have to thank for 11 v 11 football. They tried ti get him to put his name on a 7v7 version and he said, "That's not real football. If it's not real football I won't put my name on it." If not for that, we might be stuck playing 8 v 8 or something. A lot of people b!tch about Madden's commentary, but you have to respect the man. As far as NFL 2K3 vs Madden, I think they are about equal. Madden has more depth. The online thing that EA pulled, or failed to support, is classless and inexcuseable. In my view that move is indicative that they are backing the wrong horse in this race...Sony. I hope Microsoft scraps Fever, buys Electronic Arts, and dictates their every move.

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Marc
I hope Microsoft scraps Fever, buys Electronic Arts, and dictates their every move. Yes... what are the odds of that happening? :D

robnyack
08-07-2002, 04:03 PM
I agree with the previous poster, Fever 2002 was a decent game, not a great game. I had Madden and Fever and ended up playing Madden FAR more than I ever played Fever.

Having said that, Fever had some really good points in it's favor. #1 it was different and new. Same ol same ol with Madden year in and year out. It was nice to see someone step up to the plate and take a shot at competing with Madden.

Madden has it's share of problems too. The defensive backs AI SUCKED in 2002, and you could throw downfield all day long, just like you could in Fever. Madden fans forget that. Madden has problems EVERY year. That's why we get so cooked up for these new versions every year, because we can't wait to see if they fixed what drove us nuts the previous year.

I was really hoping the boys at Fever really took 2003 serious and realized their sophmore season is probably more important than their freshman season. If they don't come back strong their sophmore season, it's "one hit wonder" status. I still remain hopeful, and will probably buy the game. Hell, online alone will be worth the price.

I have not considered Sega since way back when with their first season version back on dreamcast. Just didn't like it that much. Nothing really wrong with it, but, just didn't like it. For the first time since then, I am considering buying NFL2k. More than considering, I will buy NFL2k3 and give it a chance.

I think Madden stood still this year. I was hoping NFL2k took a big leap forward (every indicator seems to say they have) and I was hoping Fever took a big leap forward and both would give Madden a kick is the arse (which they have sorely needed for a number of years now).

So maybe Madden has stood still, and Fever has stood still and Sega has taken the biggest leap forward. Problem is, Madden could afford to stand still for a year. Fever could not.

If the makers of Fever think they could just throw out the same game as last year with a few new animations and give it online play, they have made a huge misjudgement. Here's hoping that's NOT what they did.

Marc
08-07-2002, 04:10 PM
wweomaniac: Proably about the same as me getting elected president of the US and winning the lottery in the same year.

robnyack: Have you heard anything about Madden having gang tackling this year? I heard that and it was stated as a fact, but now I can't find the source. In fact, I can't find schit about it.

robnyack
08-07-2002, 04:39 PM
gang tackling: I've heard it talked about for Madden and for Sega, but I have no idea if it's true or not.

by the way, what are we even talking about? Gang-tackling? Don't my guys get gang-tackled in 2002?

Xbox Owner
08-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
However, the fan boys and ignorants like this game, and that's why it's still alive.

What the hell are you smokin? My one friend..who absolutly loves PS2 and wouldn't trade it for the world, was telling me he wish they made a NFL Fever for PS2. It's not fanboys or ignorants who like it geeze, maybe it's a opinion.:rolleyes: The fast paced makes the game fun. I for one find Madden a peace of crap. Well, atleast 2002. I do actually plan on buying Madden this year now, and maybe not fever, but that doesn't mean I don't like fever. I have respect for it, could you make a better football game? I think not, so don't flame things if you can't make something better.:rolleyes:

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
could you make a better football game? I think not, so don't flame things if you can't make something better.:rolleyes: odds are i could too

JimmieDoogan
08-07-2002, 05:02 PM
So basically its just like Madden in terms of the fact that they really don't do any updates other than roster... Madden has been exactly the same for me since Genesis graphics aside. If you liked Fever before, then you'll like playing it online. If you didn't like Fever before, then you'll not like playing it online. Plain and simple... Sega's NFL 2k3 will be online and its already better than Fever, so either buy Fever if you like it... or buy 2k3... it's up to you, however, I don't suggest Madden... no online play.

Marc
08-07-2002, 05:20 PM
robnyack: You hit a guy, then you hit him with another guy. The second guy makes no contact or difference. If you hit a guy then hit him with another guy and it knocks his ass further, that's gang tackling and it doesn't happen on 2002 games to my knowledge. I mean, I have played them all and not seen it.

Azazel
08-07-2002, 11:00 PM

What a dumb a s s thing to say about a game. I prefer Fever because it is more fun and much more fast paced then Madden. Madden is more realism like you said, but who cares about that. Its all about the fun factor.

I guess I just dont care about realism, if I did NBA Jam wouldnt be my favorite basketball game.

Filthy Superman
08-08-2002, 08:15 AM
If you own NCAA Football 2003 you can watch a preview for Madden 2003 that shows the gang tackling at work.
Simply put, gang tackling is where more than one defensive player is actively engaged in a tackle. (ie: you have three defenders literrally hanging on to a running back who is trying to push for those extra couple of yards)
In Madden 2002 you could hit the runner with as many people as you wanted and the runner would react, but the second defender and so on would not actually "grab" the runner along with the first.
As far as improvements, I've read up and here's what I've found:

Fever 2003: Vast gameplay, AI, and animation improvements. Very little graphics improvements.

NFL2K3: Amazing leaps forward in animations and graphics, fixed the presentation annoyances, tweaked the audio and the play-by-play, little gameplay or AI improvement.

Madden: concentrated on fixing audio and adding new features (training camp with the madden tour bus), added even more depth to the dynasty modes and tweaked the graphics up a little. Worked little on animations (though I know they fixed the "get stuck in an animation and can't do a damn thing untill it's done" thing over last year.)

Now.. here's an unbiased look at all three by someone who owns all of last year's versions and plans on buying all three of this year's.

Fever: This game says to me: "Get your wife/girlfriend who doesn't know anything about football or video games and hand her a controller. She'll be able to play this game in a few minutes and have fun. " It's easy to pick up and play.

NFL2K: This game says to me: "I wanna play football, I wanna crush my friends, I wanna be online, and I want it to look GOOD"
It's the ultimate in multi-player "real" football.

Madden: This game says to me: "Screw video games, I'm a walking football encyclopedia, football is my life, my religion and ****** I want to be able to look up 1200+ (seriously in 2003 version) stats and I'm the type of person that will set it on the hardest difficulty and play all 30 years of the dynasty without simming a single game because I LOVE FOOTBALL"

All three games kick ass. For different reasons.
I'm buying Madden and NFL2K3 next week... Would buy fever but I'm waiting to see if I get it in the beta kit for Xbox Live.

Filthy

JJaX
08-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Filthy Superman

GOOD POST!

I 100% agree!

CrazyCougar
08-08-2002, 12:24 PM
I agree too that each game has its own personality and qualities. Personally I will be buying NFL 2k3 and Madden. I am buying Madden because I have NCAA 2003 and want to be able to import my draft classes. That is totally kewl. Plus I am one of those diehard football gamers, i love the stats, offseason and such!! That is fun to me along with the gameplay. As for the online football , I have been seeing many pictures and movies and think NFL2k3 is the leading product over Fever and of course Madden(without online play). If Madden had online I htink this discussion would probably go very differently with Madden near the top of most people's list.

Filthy Superman
08-08-2002, 12:28 PM
I agree, I got NCAA and I can't wait to import some of my players to Madden. If NCAA is any indicator as to how good Madden will be, then it's gonna kick ass. The first week me and my friend were playing it all we could say over and over again was "Wow, they fixed that!"
NFL 2K3 will be my online game I'm sure, unless I get reaallllllly good at Fever during the Beta ;)
The only "?" in my buying plan is whether or not to buy NCAA2K3.
Hmm....

Filthy

peejay2288
08-08-2002, 04:31 PM
I'm thining of getting NCAA 2003 and am deffinetly going to get NFL 2K3. The only question I have is whether or not I should get Madden 2003. If I gotmadden, I would want it to be on PS2 so I could play online. Then again, I would want it on Xbox because I could import my players from NCAA. Ahhhh! Does anyone else have this question in their mind, "Why the hell is Madden not online for the damn Xbox?" If only it was online, I would only have to buy that and maybe NCAA. But now I'll prbly have to get NCAA 2003, Madden 2003, and NFL 2K3 all for the Xbox. Unless I decide to get Madden for PS2. Then I wouldn't bother with the other two. ( but I still gotta buy the friggin adapter!) How does this purchasing combination sound guys? NFL 2K3 and NCAA 2003 both for Xbox.

P-Rock
08-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Didn't I tell everyone that most sports games are the same, just with slightly better graphics and updated rosters?

Well if I didn't, they are. :D

Duke
08-08-2002, 07:07 PM
I don't think that most sports games are the same at all. Sure they're playing the same sport, but there is a definite difference in AI and gameplay for pretty much every one out there.

I don't know how much you play them, but maybe you should give 'em another look.

*edit - unless you are just comparing versions of the same game. On that, I'd have to pretty much (75%) agree with ya.

BigGamer X
08-08-2002, 07:21 PM

JJaX makes really loud and annoying fart sound and flips the computer off LOL you crack me up. Sitting on your couch or whatever playing a VIDEO GAME, talking about realism? Get OUTSIDE and play REAL FOOTBALL then complain about realism ! How about someone "taking a play off", is that in Madden? No. How about someone running up the field, pulling something (hamstring) without even being touched? Happen in Madden? No. Can you feel the pain of being gang tackled in a video game? no. I have played em all and nfl2k and madden are basically the same, fever a little more "arcady" and faster. Whatever someone prefer's let them enjoy it!

peejay2288
08-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Preach It Big Gamer X ... Preach It

Nick D
08-09-2002, 02:32 AM
I purchased NFL Fever 2003 today!

I have to say that the graphics look somewhat better. Actually the gameplay seems a little better also. However, if you take away online ability the game does not warrant a $50 increase from Fever 2002.

:mad: I also have a complaint in regards to gameplay. After every snap on offense, the game blinks/glitches and then assumes play again as if it didn't happen. I have Fever 2002 and this does not happen on that version. If you get Fever 2003 today, it is very hard to play it without this getting on your nerves. It is very obvious and bothersome to me. Perhaps it is just my copy?

Maybe some of you who also purchase the game can let me know. All of this is of course my opinion of the game after playing for a few hours today. All except the glitch/screen blink thing, that is fact!

I will probably end up taking this back and trading for NFL 2k3. I really enjoy Fever and am in no way bashing the game. I do feel however after playing the game myself that the poor reviews from the websites were correct. It just doesn't feel like much of an improvement on last years game. I look forward to reading others comments on these issues.

Good luck with becoming a Beta tester to all those in the running!

Nick

Bakeman
08-09-2002, 03:10 AM
In the past Madden had a better Franchise mode.. but have you guys been reading up on NFL 2k3's franchise mode?!?!?! It sounds to me it's gonna be better then madden's...

I'm totally pumped for NFL 2k3..... and I'm gonn have to check out Madden.. I love being able to create plays.. and now madden has gang tackles woot!!! I'll rent it just to see the tackles :)

People that have FEVER 2003... When you select dynasty mode can you change the quarter lenght?? I remember in 2002 when I rented it.. there was no way to change it from 5 minutes..

tennyson
08-09-2002, 09:10 AM
I'll have to admit, I don't really get into football that much where I think about strategic play calling and execution at higher levels, so for me Fever was a great game. I've been looking at 2K3 and was wondering: are the features (graphic, AI) enhanced for the XBox? One of the reasons I like Fever was because they took advantage of the XBox's abilities, since it was an exclusive. Thanks.

peejay2288
08-09-2002, 10:04 PM
guys, you are pitiful...the answer to all this is....dudududuuuu.... NFL Blitz. Duh! anyone who knows anything about real football would know this is the game to get.

robnyack
08-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Just read elsewhere that IGN gave ps2's Sega NFL2k3 a 9.2 and most think the xbox version will rate even higher!