PDA

View Full Version : The Reason Why I'm Not Buying Mech Assault

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 02:09 PM
Well.. the MAIN reason is that I think the mech's don't look that nice.

I watched the movie on ign and i just didn't like how the mech models were made. I wish they were made with more focus on making them move like humans. And also... it's a third person view rather then a first person view we will be playing.

Seems like it's a lot of torso twisting and strafing with little strategy.

The mechs I like are like the ones in Murakumo or GunMetal. Now those are cool looking mechs.

I also think they should have put more of an emphasis on flying. Not "floating"... as shown in the movie.

VenoM
08-07-2002, 02:21 PM
mechs are not human so they dont have to move like humans..... and as for the 1st or 3rd person views......i dont think it would matter....i kind of like the 3rd person view myself....imo the game looks very fun..reminds me of alien front online for the dc...that game was hella fun when dc was alive....the game was great online as well....MA looks to be better so im putting MA on my most wanted list.....its gonna be great on xbl...cant wait for this game ;)

faceoff508
08-07-2002, 02:23 PM
in gunmetal how you fly an airplane is totally wrong. And Gun Metal sucks. Mech Assault crushes Gun Metal in ever aspect.

thedrisc
08-07-2002, 02:30 PM
The mechs in the game are supposed to be more like tanks than the plane flying types in robotech. It’s a classic RPG and I think Microsoft would be hard pressed if they change the play and feel of the game too much.

Only the light ton mechs are supposed to have jump jet capabilities. It kind of balances things for the light mechs.. The big mechs can take a beating and the lighter ones are more maneuverable.

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 03:46 PM
I guess I was looking for a differnt type of game.

Why can't Murakumo be released in North America?!?!
damn.

Anyone remember Virtual On for Dreamcast? that game was hela fun with the dual joysticks!

l Maximus l
08-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Mech Assault, to me, actually looks pretty cool. But, I'll probably end up passing it up unless it gets raves from the Addicts!

I can't wait for Unreal Championship, though! That game has me salivating more than Dracula staring at a bloody pimple!!! :D

Spike Minoda
08-07-2002, 04:23 PM
I rented gunmetal and didnt like it. i took it back 30 mins later and told em it had a bug. so i got wsb2k2 instead. hey max, are you gonna get xbl?

ShannonX
08-07-2002, 05:01 PM
i'll probably get mech assault initially for the solo missions, then i'll do the multi thing... unreal championship is a must get for me also.... looks like i'm going to be really poor soon.

symposiumx
08-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac

I watched the movie on ign and i just didn't like how the mech models were made. I wish they were made with more focus on making them move like humans. And also... it's a third person view rather then a first person view we will be playing.

The mechs I like are like the ones in Murakumo or GunMetal. Now those are cool looking mechs.

I also think they should have put more of an emphasis on flying. Not "floating"... as shown in the movie.

MA looks like a top notch game. At first I was a little put off that it was 3rd person, but overall the game looks amazing.

Microsoft wanted to be true to the Hardcore Mechwarrior universe (FASA Corp). If they just made up new "Mechs" on the spur of the moment they either A) alienate the hardcore "old-school" fans, or B) turn it into an entirely different Mech game (and lose the name recognition in the process).

As far as "Fun-Factor" goes, this looks to be right up there. The Chance to "practice" solo missions at home, and then hook up to XBL to pound away at enemy maruading mechs is first rate.

I still wish It would have been first person, but I'll live (until someone pumbles me with a well placed Gauss Rifle).

Nat
08-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Hey, how do you get the movie of Mech Assualt playing online from IGN working? I tried downloading as they suggested, but it wouldn't run it under Windows Player or Quicktime, and I tried streaming it, but it wouldn't work! A little help be nice.

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 08:56 PM
I dunno what you did. I'll tell you how I watched the movie:

I downloaded it onto my hardrive by right clicking on the link and pressing "save target as". Then I opened it fro my desktop using Quicktime (the newest version)...

I bet taht's what you did, but that's all I can say.

l Maximus l
08-07-2002, 09:35 PM
I just got my OXM magazine and demo disc #10 in the mail...it features a demo of Mech Assault...and, all I can say is that the game stinks. It's way too easy...graphically, I was pretty impressed with the backgrounds...nice landscapes...but, the character graphics were extremely poor. I'm really disappointed by what I was seeing and playing.

wweomaniac
08-07-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I just got my OXM magazine and demo disc #10 in the mail...it features a demo of Mech Assault...and, all I can say is that the game stinks. It's way too easy...graphically, I was pretty impressed with the backgrounds...nice landscapes...but, the character graphics were extremely poor. I'm really disappointed by what I was seeing and playing. Thats exactly what I thought after seeing the demo on ign. It looked like simply shooting and there didn't appear to be any obstacles to hide behind or be hidden in any way. There also didn't appear to be any "shock" or "stun" after being hit.

It didn't look that great graphically either....

That was exactly what I was thinking after watching the video.

Thanks Maximus for the update. Now we all have another source to listen from.

Dyslexic Chaos
08-07-2002, 11:31 PM
From what I can tell, you guys are talking about 3 different Games, not just MA!!!

1)Mech Assault: the game your SUPPOSED to be talking about.

2) Mech warrior: the game that you guys said had "Name recognition" is mech warrior, not mech assault. MA is a totally new game, which is meant to be a much faster paced game.

3) Gun metal: the Game that was on OXM #10, not MA, so Maximus, you were playing Gun Metal, not MA, so don't judge MA just yet, although there is a movie of Mech Assault on the disc.

Hope this clears things up a bit!!! :)

Caliadar
08-08-2002, 02:19 AM
You are confusing Mechs with Mecha. You like Mecha, the nimble sleek looking robots popularized by Japanese animation. Mech Assault focuses on mechs, giant lumbering bipedal tanks with a focus on tons of firepower and tons of armor.

If your more into Mecha you should definitely check out Robotech:Battlecry coming out next month.

wweomaniac
08-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Jerred B
From what I can tell, you guys are talking about 3 different Games, not just MA!!!First of all... we were never talking about mech warriors... at least I wasn't.

So was the demo in OXM Mech Assault or was it Gun Metal. I'm a bit confused.

ShannonX
08-08-2002, 08:56 AM
First of all... we were never talking about mech warriors... at least I wasn't.

it was gun metal, trust me, i played it for about an hour cause i was bored.

thedrisc
08-08-2002, 08:57 AM
Well mech warrior and mech assault are based on the same battletech universe. They are 2 different styles of games based on the same clans and mechs.

We were just talking about 2 but I think that’s what’s confusing people.

faceoff508
08-08-2002, 09:01 AM
Maximus its not Mech Assault, you were playing Gun Metal. Gun Metal sucks.

JJaX
08-08-2002, 09:04 AM

You Obviously dont know s4it about the mechwarrior / FASA / Battletech universe. Your comments make you look like a freebirth. I hope you embrace cowardice and burn in the seas of hell.

Freebirth scum..................

wweomaniac
08-08-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

You Obviously dont know s4it about the mechwarrior / FASA / Battletech universe. Your comments make you look like a freebirth. I hope you embrace cowardice and burn in the seas of hell.

Freebirth scum.................. what's up your ass?

JJaX
08-08-2002, 09:34 AM
First of all... we were never talking about mech warriors... at least I wasn't.

Well when you create a thread slandering "mech assault" people assume your talking 'mechwarrior' stuff. Being its all the same universe you piece of s4it. And then you start talking about jump jets and torso twisting all the mechwarriors are gonna jump on your sack.

The demo disc had a playable demo of gunmetal on it. But theres also a movie on the fukin disc with a mechassult movie on it.

This isnt difficult

nice and slow for all you retarted fuks

GUUUUN MEEETAL (GUNMETAL) = Bootleg fast paced action jet flying crap

Mech......mech.......Mech Assault = lumbering Mechs battling in futuristic battles. Lots of history, games and books. Kick ass GAMES BASED ON FASA / Battletech universe.

JJaX
08-08-2002, 09:40 AM
what's up your ass?

Whats up my ass?

You create a thread tallking about Mech assualt, Then you post

"FIRST OFF, I WAS NEVER TALKING ABOUT MECHWARRIOR"

Well its the same s4it. Pardon those who are trying to correct you.

And my intial post had good intentions. I was insulting you with words that only a mechwarrior would recognize. I was having some fun.

But than i read you wrote "FIRST OFF, I WAS NEVER TALKING ABOUT MECHWARRIOR"

That kinda pi55ed me off.

wweomaniac
08-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Mech......mech.......Mech Assault = lumbering Mechs battling in futuristic battles. Lots of history, games and books. Kick ass GAMES BASED ON FASA / Battletech universe.

I'm sorry. I never played any of these games. I guess "mechs" aren't my type.

And wasn't the first one to mistake mech assault for gun metal. Maximus was, and I went on what he said.

u gotta chill out. Didn't know you loved mech gaems so much. Why don't you marry one?

JJaX
08-08-2002, 09:43 AM

I'm sorry. I never played any of these games. I guess "mechs" aren't my type.

And wasn't the first one to mistake mech assault for gun metal. Maximus was, and I went on what he said.

u gotta chill out. Didn't know you loved mech gaems so much. Why don't you marry one?

If i could marry a mech i probaly would. Id jump jet to your house and blow your ass up.

How could you let me blow smoke up your ass? You know me! When i insult you dont take it to heart chief.

faceoff508
08-08-2002, 09:48 AM

The demo disc had a playable demo of gunmetal on it. But theres also a movie on the fukin disc with a mechassult movie on it.

This isnt difficult

nice and slow for all you retarted fuks

If your talking about Maximus, he said he PLAYED mech assault on the demo disc. I think he got confused.

wweomaniac
08-08-2002, 09:52 AM

If i could marry a mech i probaly would. Id jump jet to your house and blow your ass up.

How could you let me blow smoke up your ass? You know me! When i insult you dont take it to heart chief. :: sarcastic voice ::
ohhh my god! I'm being insulted over the internet by someone who would marry a giant metal robot! I really feel intimidated now. Oh my god. Please stop!

JJaX
08-08-2002, 10:10 AM
:: sarcastic voice ::
ohhh my god! I'm being insulted over the internet by someone who would marry a giant metal robot! I really feel intimidated now. Oh my god. Please stop!

Actually, I was telling you not to take my insults to heart.

My God your a dumb one arent you.

Duke
08-08-2002, 10:21 AM
The only thing I find disappointing about Mech Assault without having actually played it is the 3rd person view.

I've played a few of the MW games, but I spent a lot of time on MPBT: Solaris and MPBT3025 (which never made it out of beta cause goddam ea killed it)

If this game gets moderately good reviews I'll be picking it up. Can't really pass on a decent mech game. Mechs are what first got me into online gaming.

symposiumx
08-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Ok everyone...

First off, enough bickering right now please.

Second, Mechwarrior ROCKS.

ok...back to topic....

I have yet to receive my OXM #10. So I want to know what game you guys are shredding, ect.

I THINK that Mech Assault is just a movie on the disc, and GUNMETAL is the actual "playable". Is this correct?

which one looks like Sh*t, and which one looks good? (if either)

I am hoping that Mech Assault will be all that I expect.

I would like to have an XBA Mech Clan.

If Mech Assault is a dissapointment, we'll (mech fans) will be p!ssed, QUIAFF?

JJaX
08-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by symposiumx

I THINK that Mech Assault is just a movie on the disc, and GUNMETAL is the actual "playable". Is this correct?

Yes as i stated above.

Gunmetal = playable demo

mech assault = movie

Knight
08-08-2002, 11:29 AM
I got Mech Assault on preorder & will have fun playing it!!

symposiumx
08-08-2002, 11:35 AM

Yes as i stated above.

Gunmetal = playable demo

mech assault = movie

JJaX, thanks. What is your experience with the FASA universe? (i.e. mechwarrior on PC, books, role-playing).

side note: Has anyone played the MECHWARRIOR figurine game made by WizKids (Mage Knight) ?

Has anyone seen more info on MA? I think it loks great so far.

Knight
08-08-2002, 11:41 AM

side note: Has anyone played the MECHWARRIOR figurine game made by WizKids (Mage Knight) ?

It's not out yet!!

symposiumx
08-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Knight

It's not out yet!!

ok...cool. I wasn't sure one way or another.
You planning on picking up a starter kit for it when it DOES come out?

Knight
08-08-2002, 01:03 PM
For the figurine game No!! I do plan to pick up Mech Assault & MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries!!

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=224148

JJaX
08-08-2002, 02:49 PM

JJaX, thanks. What is your experience with the FASA universe? (i.e. mechwarrior on PC, books, role-playing).

Has anyone seen more info on MA? I think it loks great so far.

I recall mechwarrior on SNES

Than there was the genesis one, where you were in a timberwolf / madcat

Then i got mechwarrior 2 on the PC and fell in love with that!
Then i read like a book or two about the inner sphere, cause mechwarrior 2 got me interested. Although that only touched on the Jade falcon and (i forgot the other clan)

Than the expansion pack came out, and new assault mechs were introduced (kodiak / atlas)

Then i played mechwarrior 3, than 4. (i wanted mech commander but never tried it)

I also always wanted to go to chicago to the FASA HQ and play in there virtual mech game! THat just kicks ass!

I also want my own personal Elemental! ;)

Battletech kicks ass!

symposiumx
08-08-2002, 03:09 PM

I recall mechwarrior on SNES

Than there was the genesis one, where you were in a timberwolf / madcat

Then i got mechwarrior 2 on the PC and fell in love with that!
Then i read like a book or two about the inner sphere, cause mechwarrior 2 got me interested. Although that only touched on the Jade falcon and (i forgot the other clan)

Than the expansion pack came out, and new assault mechs were introduced (kodiak / atlas)

Then i played mechwarrior 3, than 4. (i wanted mech commander but never tried it)

I also always wanted to go to chicago to the FASA HQ and play in there virtual mech game! THat just kicks ass!

I also want my own personal Elemental! ;)

Battletech kicks ass!

The books were called "way of the clan". One of the main characters was named "Phelan Kell".
The books centered around the Jade Falcons and the Wolf Clan.

Elementals ROCK!! If you could assign a "star" of 5 elementals into your squad, in upcoming Mech games, that would be the best!

FASA HQ in Chicago!! That is one of my dream places to go!!

I have been up to Wizards of the Coast. (In Seattle). I;ll have to go again, i think they have mech pods [now]

Knight
08-08-2002, 03:16 PM

I played at the virtual mech game(chicago one) it was fun, But it's no longer open!!

symposiumx
08-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Knight

I played at the virtual mech game(chicago one) it was fun, But it's no longer open!!

that makes me sad :(

I always "dreamt" of going there one day.
Hopefully they are up and running up in Seattle when I go next!!
ER PPC here I come!!!

Knight
08-08-2002, 03:41 PM

that makes me sad :(

I always "dreamt" of going there one day.
Hopefully they are up and running up in Seattle when I go next!!
ER PPC here I come!!!

I think all virtual Battletech centers are closed!!
There's MechWarrior4!!

JJaX
08-09-2002, 02:50 PM
It would be cool if FASA made a ****pit you could by and play Mechwarrior games over XBOXLIVE.

That would kick ass............

But im sure mech assault will be just fine! ;)

symposiumx
08-09-2002, 02:57 PM
It would be cool if FASA made a ****pit you could by and play Mechwarrior games over XBOXLIVE.

That would kick ass............

But im sure mech assault will be just fine! ;)

yeah..that would rock...but a ****pit you could buy would be prohibitive (expense-wise).

i want Mech Assault ! I would like to see a Mechwarrior for Xbox also. With ****pit view. I'm surprised that there is not one yet....with Mechwarriors PC success. Are they afraid of receptivness of console gamers?

BlindSniper
08-10-2002, 04:57 PM

I know the modesl do look weerd i never liked mech ga,es and def do not want this one