PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding xbox live

MensurB
08-09-2002, 12:25 PM
HI.
I just talked to one of the support guys on the xbox.com support chat. I asked him if I will still be able to play my xbox online once it actually goes "live". The problem is my Dsl modem, it's and USB modem and it doesn't have an RJ-45 plug. I have played my xbox with xbconnect before, and it worked fine. I just plug the xbox to my ethernet card on my computer and it works. The support guy said that I will need a router. Is that true?

thank you very much for your help:)

Dre
08-09-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by MensurB
HI.
I just talked to one of the support guys on the xbox.com support chat. I asked him if I will still be able to play my xbox online once it actually goes "live". The problem is my Dsl modem, it's and USB modem and it doesn't have an RJ-45 plug. I have played my xbox with xbconnect before, and it worked fine. I just plug the xbox to my ethernet card on my computer and it works. The support guy said that I will need a router. Is that true?

thank you very much for your help:)

No, the support guy has no effing clue what he's talking about. You current setup will work fine.

ShannonX
08-09-2002, 01:37 PM
it will work the way it is.... just set up your computer (i assume your using windows 2k or higher) up for internet connection sharing and you'll be all set.

MensurB
08-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Actually I'm using windows 98, so you're saying the setup will be the same or similar to xbconnect?

thebruce
08-09-2002, 02:00 PM
The way you have it now would mean your PC would need to be switched on in order for you to be able to play online.

With a router your PC can be off, and you can network other PC's and XBox's with it (it has an inbuilt switch) so that they can share the internet connection and also see each other for gaming with more than 1 XBox\PC.

Whisper
08-09-2002, 03:10 PM
thats the setup im using right now, works fine... XBOX straight to computer... works fine... althought I keep getting sirty sick errors :rolleyes:

MensurB
08-10-2002, 04:39 PM
thank you all for your help:)

Zion
08-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Get a router...do it right and get it over with.

peejay2288
08-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Get an adapter for a RJ-45 plug.

MensurB
08-11-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by peejay2288
Get an adapter for a RJ-45 plug.

Where can I get an adapter like that, I'm not using my ethernet card for anything, so I might just as well use it for my xbox.

Snoopy7548
08-11-2002, 06:38 PM
u can get adapters, that plug into your usb port, and let you hook up an ethernet cable to it. ive seen some for like 20 bucks.