PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Inside of XBOX

Whisper
08-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Ok, so I went out this morning and bought my first game in a long time! I bought Enclave.. bought I get to the part where some chick wants to join forces... then I get a dirty disc, this is going to happen at every in-game load point... same thing happens with Halo, and THPS3.... my CDs are mint condition.. nothing is wrong with them... this has been happening the last 2 weeks... i dont have the extended warranty.. and the original is long gone... will cleaning out the inside of the box work? help me out or else I will be a member without an XBOX ... :(

SkoalMint
08-12-2002, 01:10 PM
First thing I would try is deleting any OXM Demo Disc files from your hard drive. Also, delete any save games from games you won't play anymore (i.e., rentals you didn't like).

I don't think cleaning out the inside of the box will help. You might also try a lens cleaner cd to clean the DVD Lens.

cityson
08-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Yea, DVD lens cleaner works. :) Good luck with your Xbox.

Whisper
08-12-2002, 01:35 PM
hmm deleting stuff, ill do that hopefully it will help... what about soundtracks?

as for the DVD lens cleaner, where can i pick one up and how much are they? about? canadian?

SkoalMint
08-12-2002, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure about soundtracks. Leave them at first and if the problem goes away, good. If not, then you can try that. I'm also not sure about the price of a cleaner in Canada. Can't be too much. I saw one in Wal-Mart the other day that included both a lens cleaner as well as a disc cleaner for $13 US.

Whisper
08-12-2002, 05:22 PM
now im having more problems! I rented the Lord of The Rings, the special feautres DVD runs in my XBOX, but the XBOX doesnt recognize the movie DVD... i think i heard this before on here? can someone give me some info as to why this is

K-Rock
08-12-2002, 09:35 PM
I work at babbage's and our XBOX rep gave us a disc that's labled "FORMAT XBOX HARD DISK" go to one of your local stores (game) and ask them to use it in the store. (THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING AND RESTORE THE XBOX TO FACTORY DEFAULT SO USE IT AS A LAST HOPE.)

K-Rock

teddeboy
08-13-2002, 06:39 PM
My friend,
I'd suggest you quit messing with that thing and try to swap it for a new one. It sounds like you got a serious lemon. Just take it back to the store, explain that it won't play anything, and get it swapped out. Save yourself the headache of fighting with it.

Whisper
08-13-2002, 07:22 PM
teddeboy, i would have done that if i didnt buy it last december :) but thanks for the reply

Professor Kaos
08-13-2002, 08:28 PM
its gotta b the lenz like someone else posted, cuz i played lord of the rings in my xbox and both disks worked just fine. you could go to the microsoft help line chat thing, ask a rep what they think

ftyards
08-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Try getting a can of compressed air and spray it inside the xbox, it should work

Warthog
08-14-2002, 12:53 PM
that must suck but call "1-8004myxbox" they helped me with things, good luck

Whisper
08-15-2002, 09:43 PM
dam... went out and bought a dvd lens cleaner... ran it for 30 seconds (as in instructions), but i pop in Halo... finish a level... freezes, and get dirty disc... oh the pain...

No Fear 23
08-15-2002, 09:52 PM
whatever u do, dont ever try to take apart ur xbox to try to clean it. jsut try the disc cleaner, from whati heard, it fix the problem most of the time for some ppl

Whisper
08-15-2002, 11:30 PM
would it hurt it if i ran the cleaner over night? it's a 30 minute track, and i could just put it on repeat so it spins all night... maybe ill do that when i goto bed

Whisper
08-16-2002, 05:12 PM
yeah... im done... my XBOX just wont work, the DVD lens cleaner didnt help at all... I dont have the extended warranty, and there is no way to walmart will take back an XBOX bought in December.... I'm still going to be very active pretaining to XBA... but im an addict without a working XBOX... i can still play movies, but not what the XBOX was made for... games...

needless to say... im heart broken :(

ImmortalTech
03-29-2003, 09:39 AM
don't be worried you could probably send it in to xbox or a repair place to fix it. I only used a lens cleaner and it worked but you said it didn't.

squid413
03-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Well since its a first gen xbox i heard they were replacing the drives for free if you call them and tell them the manafacture date because something was wrong with the original drives so try that. 1-800-formyxbox. hope this helps

Master Gracey
03-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Geez... another old thread. :rolleyes:

For a moment, I thought "I can't believe cityson is back. Please put a bullet in my brain." But all is good now... :D

squid413
03-29-2003, 11:56 PM
lol when i posted i didn't even realize how old this was but i didn't bump it

gcgalt
03-30-2003, 07:48 AM
I had the same problem with mine. I called 1-800-4myxbox and they informed me that early systems were equipped with crappy lasers. If there was a tiny miniscule fraction of a spec of lint on the disc you will get the error because it will deflect the light. Xbox had me send my system back to them at no $ to me. Here is the best part. I sent it to them on a Friday and had it back 3 days later on the following Monday repaired. That was 3wks- to a month ago and I haven't had an error since.

Cyclone
03-30-2003, 05:49 PM
I would post my method to getting a new working Xbox but I'd probably be banned/flamed a lot :P