PDA

View Full Version : My DSL Modem

Fred Gasman
08-12-2002, 02:34 PM
This is a chat I did with an xbox.com dude:

Topic: I have a dsl modem. Before I go on the net, I have to open a small program called "access manager" and click connect (this activates the modem). Will my Xbox know how to activate my modem, or will I have to have my computer connected as I go on Xbox Live?

Jean-Francois: Hello and welcome to the Xbox Interactive Online Support, my name is Jean-Francois.
Fred Gasman: Jean my man, whats up????
Fred Gasman: tough question?
Jean-Francois: Yes, good question. It has been raised in the past but we do not have the confirmation however I am positive that the Xbox Live team is fully aware of users such as yourself.
Fred Gasman: ok......
Jean-Francois: I also do know that there are options in your Xbox Live dashboard (that will be updated when you purchase the Xbox Live kit.
Jean-Francois: You can input information such as gateway, ip, ppp information that can be provided by your ISP.
Fred Gasman: but, do I have problem?
Fred Gasman: will I be able to connect?
Fred Gasman: you here?
Jean-Francois: Yes, sorry for the delay.
Jean-Francois: Again, we do not have all those technical details yet. As we're nearing launch of the Xbox Live service, this information will become available.
Fred Gasman: ok man
Fred Gasman: later
Fred Gasman: thanks
Jean-Francois You're welcome! I hope that you have found our session today helpful. Thank you for using the Xbox Interactive Online Support. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate and come back to see us again!

He couldn't even answer my question!
I want to know if my modem is XBOX COMPATIBLE. What do you guys think?

CrazyCougar
08-12-2002, 02:39 PM
i got DSL and use my xbox fine online. I dont understand why you have to turn yours on though. Mine is on all the time. I have a constant interent connection no matter if the puter is on or not.

Snoopy7548
08-12-2002, 02:41 PM
just run the access manager thing on your computer until its connected, then go and play xbl. its as simple as that.

Fred Gasman
08-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
just run the access manager thing on your computer until its connected, then go and play xbl. its as simple as that.
Yeah, I guess that's what I'll do. But it would be better if I didn't have to use my computer.
OH WELL

Snoopy7548
08-12-2002, 03:00 PM
lol, i have another way. do u keep your computer on all the time? i do, i never shut it off. but you can just run it once, then just keep your computer on all the time, and never have to worry about it. or you could make it so that when you start your computer, it automatically runs the access manager.:D :)

teddeboy
08-12-2002, 06:46 PM
I'm betting that 'access manager' is one of those stupid PPPoE client packages that some ISP's use to keep you from staying connected to your DSL line 24 hours a day (that way, they can keep you from putting up servers and such).

Xbox live is "supposed to" have built-in PPPoE support (from an online video I saw, so it may or may not have it). If Xbox Live does have PPPoE support built in, it will actually make the connection itself instead of requiring your PC to make the connection.

I have Earthlink, which uses WinPoet as a connection manager for my DSL connection, and I used to have to make my PC connect with this app to get my DSL connection made. Well, I bought a Linksys router with PPPoE support, and now, my connection stays on 24/7 without requiring my PC to make any sort of special connection.

So, in sum, I'd give it a 80/20 chance that your DSL will be just fine. But that's just a guess, take it with a grain of salt, I don't know your DSL provider, nor do I work for Microsoft, so I can't say with certainty, I just know from my experience with these 'connection managers'.

Mercury
08-12-2002, 08:50 PM
I have sympatico and they make you use that access manager crap. But my only salvation is that WindowsXP has that built in. So maybe MS will have it with XBL. I can only hope they do.

Paradox
08-13-2002, 01:45 AM
I am nearly positive that the Xbox will be PPPoE compatable. Hell, even the Dreamcast was. But you'll probably want to get a router anyways so that you can have your PC and Xbox hooked up at the same time. And once you have a router, you won't have to worry about "connecting" to the internet with your DSL. You will be connected all the time.