PDA

View Full Version : played xbox, and i'm not amazed.

sinizuh
11-03-2001, 12:27 AM
is there something wrong with me?

i went to eb today to see a glowing green light from the distance, once i get there, i see the store is basicly empty but the xbox display is up... some kid was looking at some movies... i so grabbed the second controller to see how it felt... and i must say, it's a great size, but the triggers are wrong. but i can touch every button without even trying. so i tried some "Halo control config" holds (from the Halo button config i found somewhere), and it felt good... i thought shooting and aiming with the same hand (shoot = right trigger; aim = right stick) would be odd... but since the xbox controller is big, it felt fine... it would be horrible if it was any smaller (like PS2 controller)

anyways, the kid left and i took 1st controller and looked through the movies/games. and the oddworld demo was okay (not like i would buy it) the graphics are nice, but there was load times :o the controls were too sharp. oh well, it's a rental on my list.

when i looked at the system itself, it looked smaller than i thought... from all the pictures and everyone saying how big it was, it looked smaller in the kiosk case. and for some reason, they replaced the TVs brand name with "microsoft" :p

sure, todays xbox eXperience was great... but from all the hype, i was waiting for more... and the jewels on the controllers were ****ing lame... it was like a card board cut out. and the jewel on the console looked like there was a light behind it...

oh yea... i was playing it (it's right by the front door) and 2 kids (like 10-12 years old) came running in saying "xbox! it's the xbox!" to each other. i found it funny, but it got better... about 10 mins later (i'm still playing :D) 3 teenagers (13-15) ran in doing the same thing... but when they saw i was playing, they backed off and played PS2 ;)

and the movies weren't "high res DVD" movies... dissapointing... oh well, when i get it home and pop in the Halo DVD (or the demo disc) i'm sure i'll be eXcited and amazed.

SciFi
11-03-2001, 01:18 AM
I am guessing that the kiosks do not have the final copy of the game's abilities...
They may get better:D

xboxlover
11-03-2001, 02:47 AM
Well i'am not sure if there is enough time left to improve upon the games but lets hope those demos were made yonks ago an are just like 10% of the quality of the final product.

Tazilla
11-03-2001, 03:29 AM
The TV's they have in the Xbox Kiosk are lame,.. they don't do the graphics justice at all,.. I think that they are Sanyo,..

although the graphics in the Munch Demo are amazing,.. I can't wait to see what they look like on a much better television.

RPGr
11-03-2001, 06:14 AM
That munch demo is months old and those movies are from old builds of the games. But I'm hearing that new demos are being sent out to the stores now.
My babbages had Halo (the final game) up & running. It felt a little weird at first using the left stick to move foward, backward, and strafe left & right, while the right stick to aim and look. I played it for only a few minutes. I roamed the countryside for about a minute without even seeing an alien. I was behind some huge boulders at one point, wading in this water. This water looked so cool! It looked so smooth. It almost looked better than real water, I can't explain it, but then I ran into some aliens. A few small ones and a bigger one. The small ones went down easy, but the bigger one took awhile. Then there was a narrow bridge I had to cross and still not comfortable with the control scheme yet, I didn't make it across. I fell down this very deep canyon to my death, so I quit playing.
That was just playing like 3-5 minutes! Man, I can't wait for my Xbox, and My Halo!!!!!! :D