PDA

View Full Version : Okay.. how do I hookup SVideo / DolbyDigital?

Malot
11-03-2001, 10:07 PM
To use SVideo and dolby digital what do I need? Do I use the Advanced AV pack or the High Definition AV pack?? This should be the most common way to hook it up, since most people don't have switchable component in.. they'll leave their DVD hooked up, but they want digital sound.. what is the answer? And the HDTV hookup says it does 480p.. what about 425i??? or whatever the normal NTSC is?? ugh this is **** confusing and there isn't a lot of info.

Marc
11-03-2001, 10:53 PM
I feel your pain, cause I was stressin about the exact same thing. After a lot of reading, it looks like if you have S-video and a receiver with Dolby 5.1, you will need the Advanced AV pack. The HDTV pack is for HDTVs and Dolby 5.1 receivers. I have an HK-AVR 310, but an older Toshiba TV with S-Video. The Advanced AV Pack should suit your needs.

Malot
11-03-2001, 11:04 PM
Yeah.. but from what I read the 5.1 surround hookup only comes on the HD AV pack. Is this true? If not where is it stated? I also heard somewhere that it is an optical out... UGH.. I only have 2 opticals.. and one is DVD and one is Satellite

Malot
11-03-2001, 11:05 PM
I'd consider the HD pack, but I'm out of Component inputs, and Component sitchboxes are expensive. Plus I don't know if the component outputs put out the lowly non HD scanrate.

Marc
11-03-2001, 11:10 PM
When I read the Advanced AV pack, it said for S-video and Dolby 5.1 receivers. If I am wrong I am screwed. I need the digital out to the receiver and the S-video on the same AV pack.

Bundy
11-04-2001, 08:05 AM
The advanced av pack has 5 outputs on it. Svideo, digital out, and rca for left and right sound, and video. This allows you to do what ever combonation of svidoe and digital sound you may have.

Marc
11-04-2001, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Bundy, you put my mind at ease.

Malot
11-04-2001, 03:48 PM
Here is the answer. A closeup from amazon.com you can see the inputs, and their label. Now the questions is which type of connection the Digital Audio is. Looks optical, but I'm hearing it may be the smaller connector, not toslink. Wish I could use the component inputs. Guess I'll wait till I get that 16x9 HD television :D