PDA

View Full Version : Madden 2003 vs NFL2k3...the Real Deal

robnyack
08-16-2002, 04:30 PM
ok, first of all, my background. I am a long time Madden guy who made no bones about the fact that I bought the first NFL2k game and did not like it and it solidified my Madden bias.

Due to EAs horrible decision making process this year, I finally had had enough. Being mainly a Madden pc gamer, I had felt EA had screwed over the true football gamer one too many times. Madden over the last few years was famous for it's bugs, bad AI, and we fans were always waiting for a patch 1.1 to come out, and then patch 1.2, and then 1.3, and so on and so forth. However, because the pc version had the greatest football gaming mode EVER (online franchise leagues), we put up with it.

But, one of their awful decisions was to kill the pc online frnachise mode this year, and of course the other horrible decision was to not participate with XBL. Well, all I can say to EA is THANK YOU!!

Without these awful decisions, I would have never strayed and given Sega NFL2k3 a shot. Wow.....this game is EXCELLENT. I cannot say enough about NFL2k3 right now. If you love football, and you love football gaming, then my god, this game is for you!

I have both Madden 2003 and NFL2k3. Madden 2003 is a good game, nothing wrong with it (as far as I can tell so far....AI is always a worry). But, it just is sort of there. Doesn't get my juices going really. NFL2k3 is different though. I am INTO this game.

As a FORMER Madden guy, it does take a little getting used to NFL2k3's player models and graphics. They seem a little "cartoonish" to me at first compared to Maddens. But, after I adjusted to the difference, I now can appreciate just how nice the graphics are on NFL2k3. Different than Madden, no doubt, but top notch, nonetheless. Stadium models are better than in Madden. Why? Because in NFL2k3, you get a truer sense of just how big these stadiums are. In Madden, the players always seem a little out of proportion in relationship to the stadium size.

The overall presentation of this game is TOP NOTCH. Madden does not even come close in this dept. NFL2k3 has raised the bar in this area to new heights. It is just an incredibly well thought out, well put together football game. The ESPN tie-in is SUPERB. They really nailed it. LEad in to games are excellent with actual commentary relavent to the two teams and how they are doing in the current season. The weekly wrap up is really nice. REALLY nice. Even though the play of the week seems all too often to be the same play! Again, Madden has nothing to even compare to in the area. The Franchise mode is DA BOMB. The best I have seen, and this is where a football game is won or lost with me.

As for game play....NFL2k3 is TOUGH. Now, I know why Urlacher is on the cover......in this game, defense counts! I like that. I got my butt whip 42-0 and 38-6 my first two games. There is definately a learning curve, ulike Madden, where you can just jump in and not really know what you are doing and still score 17-21 points in a game. NFL2k3 is a much better sim of the NFL game. No question.

Commentary: Oh my god, Madden is still using the same exact canned phrases that he has been sputtering for the last 3 years. I was shocked. I can't listen to these same old phrases anymore. It DRIVES ME NUTS! Al Michaels is ok, doesn't add too much, but is ok. NFL2k3, I'm not totally thrilled with the two announcers, but, I must say, the game is called very well. It's called in a way that makes you feel like this actual game is being called. It's not just a bunch of canned phrases repeated over and over everyu single game.

Madden has some things I miss, like more adjustments on defense, but, overall, I have to say NFL2k3 is the best football game I have ever played. Truly, Sega has raised the bar.

My Ratings:
NFL2k3: 9.6 out of 10
Madden 2003: 8.6 out of 10

peejay2288
08-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by robnyack
ok, first of all, my background. I am a long time Madden guy who made no bones about the fact that I bought the first NFL2k game and did not like it and it solidified my Madden bias.

Due to EAs horrible decision making process this year, I finally had had enough. Being mainly a Madden pc gamer, I had felt EA had screwed over the true football gamer one too many times. Madden over the last few years was famous for it's bugs, bad AI, and we fans were always waiting for a patch 1.1 to come out, and then patch 1.2, and then 1.3, and so on and so forth. However, because the pc version had the greatest football gaming mode EVER (online franchise leagues), we put up with it.

But, one of their awful decisions was to kill the pc online frnachise mode this year, and of course the other horrible decision was to not participate with XBL. Well, all I can say to EA is THANK YOU!!

Without these awful decisions, I would have never strayed and given Sega NFL2k3 a shot. Wow.....this game is EXCELLENT. I cannot say enough about NFL2k3 right now. If you love football, and you love football gaming, then my god, this game is for you!

I have both Madden 2003 and NFL2k3. Madden 2003 is a good game, nothing wrong with it (as far as I can tell so far....AI is always a worry). But, it just is sort of there. Doesn't get my juices going really. NFL2k3 is different though. I am INTO this game.

As a FORMER Madden guy, it does take a little getting used to NFL2k3's player models and graphics. They seem a little "cartoonish" to me at first compared to Maddens. But, after I adjusted to the difference, I now can appreciate just how nice the graphics are on NFL2k3. Different than Madden, no doubt, but top notch, nonetheless. Stadium models are better than in Madden. Why? Because in NFL2k3, you get a truer sense of just how big these stadiums are. In Madden, the players always seem a little out of proportion in relationship to the stadium size.

The overall presentation of this game is TOP NOTCH. Madden does not even come close in this dept. NFL2k3 has raised the bar in this area to new heights. It is just an incredibly well thought out, well put together football game. The ESPN tie-in is SUPERB. They really nailed it. LEad in to games are excellent with actual commentary relavent to the two teams and how they are doing in the current season. The weekly wrap up is really nice. REALLY nice. Even though the play of the week seems all too often to be the same play! Again, Madden has nothing to even compare to in the area. The Franchise mode is DA BOMB. The best I have seen, and this is where a football game is won or lost with me.

As for game play....NFL2k3 is TOUGH. Now, I know why Urlacher is on the cover......in this game, defense counts! I like that. I got my butt whip 42-0 and 38-6 my first two games. There is definately a learning curve, ulike Madden, where you can just jump in and not really know what you are doing and still score 17-21 points in a game. NFL2k3 is a much better sim of the NFL game. No question.

Commentary: Oh my god, Madden is still using the same exact canned phrases that he has been sputtering for the last 3 years. I was shocked. I can't listen to these same old phrases anymore. It DRIVES ME NUTS! Al Michaels is ok, doesn't add too much, but is ok. NFL2k3, I'm not totally thrilled with the two announcers, but, I must say, the game is called very well. It's called in a way that makes you feel like this actual game is being called. It's not just a bunch of canned phrases repeated over and over everyu single game.

Madden has some things I miss, like more adjustments on defense, but, overall, I have to say NFL2k3 is the best football game I have ever played. Truly, Sega has raised the bar.

My Ratings:
NFL2k3: 9.6 out of 10
Madden 2003: 8.6 out of 10

Good Job! You typed alot! Put this in the reviews section!:)

rockreid
08-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Because so many of us right now are getting our butts kicked hard with learning NFL2K3 right now, I think the level of skill playing on XBOX LIVE! will be AWESOME.

I can't tell you how many times I've hit my couch in frustration playing NFL2K3 the past 2 days, but I am getting the hang of it. I am starting to get my pass timing down and following my blockers better. Madden 2002 was a joke in comparison with too many MONEY PLAYS that worked against the AI every time. Right now I win easily when setting NFL2K3 to Rookie level, but lose on Pro. Haven't even tried All-Pro yet.

I can't wait for XBOX LIVE NFL2K3 tournaments in November. Will there be a way to watch other games going on while they're being played? That would be cool to be able to view a championship game from a real TV coverage perspective with auto camera switching.

chili325
08-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by rockreid
Because so many of us right now are getting our butts kicked hard with learning NFL2K3 right now, I think the level of skill playing on XBOX LIVE! will be AWESOME.

I can't tell you how many times I've hit my couch in frustration playing NFL2K3 the past 2 days, but I am getting the hang of it. I am starting to get my pass timing down and following my blockers better. Madden 2002 was a joke in comparison with too many MONEY PLAYS that worked against the AI every time. Right now I win easily when setting NFL2K3 to Rookie level, but lose on Pro. Haven't even tried All-Pro yet.

I can't wait for XBOX LIVE NFL2K3 tournaments in November. Will there be a way to watch other games going on while they're being played? That would be cool to be able to view a championship game from a real TV coverage perspective with auto camera switching. that my friend is an AWESOME idea. Imagine if G4 did the championship on cable?!? u should email them.

peejay2288
08-17-2002, 10:58 AM
U said your getting your timing right on passes. How are you supposed to see the receivers on the outside!!??!! That is so damn annoying!!!:eek:

rockreid
08-17-2002, 12:04 PM
there is a camera Option that zooms the camera out to see the whole field on passing plays. Your players look real small but you can see all of them. It helps me immensely.

Grand Prix 1
08-18-2002, 12:34 AM
I just disagree. I'm new to football games, and got Sega 2K3 first. I had heard it was best, and Madden was a dead franchise - but I really liked NCAA 2K3.

I played and played and played 2K3. It just didn't feel right at all. The players look like Macy's day parade floats, all blown up like dolls and they run like a bad cartoon. Passing - this maximum passing thing - perhaps I just haven't mastered it - but the proportions and speeds of the players aren't very realistic at all.

Play calling outright sucks - even when you organize the plays by package - the superimposed play is a terrible idea. Looks awful.

The juke and spin work in Madden like you would think they should. PLayers look much better - running speeds and proportions seem correct - play calling is straightforward.

The lack of online play will propel 2K3 ahead for sure, but for me and a friend who just play coop against the AI - Madden is a much better game.

Zion
08-18-2002, 12:48 AM
Amen, brother. I couldn't get Madden out of my Xbox and back to Blockbuster fast enough (thank you, game pass!!!) so I could get NFL2k3. MAN what a difference. 2k3 is just amazing, while Madden is...like you say..just dull. Bland. Blah. Yuck. No thanks.

NFL 2k3 all the way!! EA had better get off their buttocks soon before Sega takes them down.

Bakeman
08-18-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Grand Prix 1
I just disagree. I'm new to football games, and got Sega 2K3 first. I had heard it was best, and Madden was a dead franchise - but I really liked NCAA 2K3.

I played and played and played 2K3. It just didn't feel right at all. The players look like Macy's day parade floats, all blown up like dolls and they run like a bad cartoon. Passing - this maximum passing thing - perhaps I just haven't mastered it - but the proportions and speeds of the players aren't very realistic at all.

Play calling outright sucks - even when you organize the plays by package - the superimposed play is a terrible idea. Looks awful.

The juke and spin work in Madden like you would think they should. PLayers look much better - running speeds and proportions seem correct - play calling is straightforward.

The lack of online play will propel 2K3 ahead for sure, but for me and a friend who just play coop against the AI - Madden is a much better game.

LOL wait a minute... you mean spinning in a circle in madden is realistic?!?!?!?!?!?!