PDA

View Full Version : To rent or not to rent?

Sodacider
08-16-2002, 06:37 PM
I personally am a no-go on renting because I generally trust reviews (and when I didn't trust them I got shafted when I got Airforce Delta Storm). I figure, why spend over 10% extra on the game if your gonna get it anyway?

Also, you can play games on OXM disks and at friends houses...

Your takes/opinions?

Sodacider
08-16-2002, 06:38 PM
wrong forum. damnnn it.

soki
08-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Yup, I agree with reviews, especially EGM's, so I usually don't bother renting games.

Snail man
08-16-2002, 09:16 PM
Brute Force Sounds too good to rent. I would buy it if I had enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D

Young_Fledgling
08-16-2002, 10:26 PM
every game i own i did not rent first..... i bought it day it came out.

I ONLY BUY GAMES that i know for sure i will like

or

if i rented it just once or played it elsewhere and i REALLY liked it.

ScorpionX
08-17-2002, 12:48 AM
I always rent a game before I buy it, but not at Blockbuster, its a ripoff. I go to a family owned place right near where I live where it is 2 bucks for 3 days. I don't really trust the reviews because people have different genres they enjoy so they give games rave reviews. And it really sucks because I don't have an EB anywhere near me so I can't return games, thats why I like to rent.

CrazyCougar
08-17-2002, 05:48 PM
I always rent before I buy also. I rent at Blockbuster. $6 for 5 days a rip off? Thats the cheapest around here. Plus I used there Freddom Pass card. $19.99 a month forall the rentals I want. I can keep them as long or as little as I like. Only stipulation is I can only have 2 games out at a time. Take one back or both back and replace them with new games whenever I like.

I rented Mike Tyson for about an hour..... Took it back and traded it in right away!!!!!! Thats the pro about renting compared to buying.

Snapple
08-17-2002, 05:54 PM
i rent before i buy a game:) or sometimes just go ahead and buy it if it looks good enough:D

ALC
08-17-2002, 06:14 PM
I love renting.. Games like Max Payne, that are kickass, but have little replay appeal, are perfect for renting..

I didnt rent any of the games I own before buying them, but If i'm nto sure, i'll rent.. Thank GOD i rented wreckless and only wasted about 5 bucks. I'd kill myself If i payed the 60 some to buy it.

Tkf5000
08-17-2002, 09:47 PM
i buy. sometimes i make big mistakes tho. ALC i am one of those people who obught wreckless.

BORNGD
08-18-2002, 03:06 AM
if i rent, i wont buy the game, its that simple...then i really dont get into the game, ect....although i heard blockbuster has a 30 day rental system...that might change my mind

Duke
08-18-2002, 10:36 AM
I don't rent very often, but it has saved me from making a few mistakes (SpyHunter comes to mind) Took me 2 days to beat that and virtually no replay value other than the original. I could play that forever.

Anyway most of the games I buy I've heard that they're good from others on this forum who have the same tastes as I do. There isn't much that I would pre-order. The only game I've put an order in for other than Halo since I bought my box is UC

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey BORN, look at my post above. I have the Freedom Pass at Blockbuster(30 day pass) . It is well worth the 19.99!!!!! So far I have rented about 30 games this month! All for $19.99!!!! WTG Blockbuster! But i also think its only a summer promotion.

Sodacider
08-18-2002, 03:07 PM
WOW this freedom pass may be the way to go.

LoverBaby_2000
08-18-2002, 03:28 PM
I usually rent games before I buy them. I find that $6 canadian is a pretty good way to ensure that you are buying the correct game. I never used to rent from blockbuster before, but now some of the "older" games are $5 for a week + due back after that week the next day by 10. I usually buy sports/car games because they usually have tons of replay value. (Take for example NHL HitZ, There are so many things in it and cool stuff to take advantage of that you can play it and not get really bored) Here is a good example of why people should rent...
I saw rave reviews for Bruce Lee, I heard that it was an exact copy of himself and his characteristics.... as you all pretty much know, the game didn't live up to the standards of a wicked game.
(check out the bruce lee forum) After renting it and playing it for about 30 minutes I turned it off and played a different game. That would have been a waste of my hard earned money... and if you go to Microplay or one of those game specialty stores you might as well rent it for that 5 or 6 bucks and go to zellers because those specialty stores usually charge 5 or 6 bucks more than a department store anyways......

shrew king
08-18-2002, 05:10 PM
i always rent, why not? if you cant beat the game in the 3-8 (our Blockbuster lets you rent the game for a week) then you should buy it if you enjoyed it. I rented Halo a couple of times before i bought it because the first time i didnt really give it a chance cause it was christmas and i didnt play it all that much, but the second time i was used to the controls, and my friends liked it, so i bought it. The one time i didnt try a game before buying was Tony Hawk 3, that game sucks for so many reasons. Its multiplayer is only 2 people without system link, that is so stupid, why have only 2 players when you had 4 players on Tony Hawk 2? its just retarded. I will never buy another game without renting it ever again, big mistake.

LoverBaby_2000
08-18-2002, 05:14 PM
Ya, I can agree that Tony Hawk 3 was a stinker... I decided to go with Tony Hawk 2X... That is a pretty sweet game. In IMO I think that when Halo 2 comes out I will rent it first because it may not live up to the standards of the first one.

rollypop
08-18-2002, 06:51 PM
All we have is overpriced Blockbuster. Which means renting is out of the question. Have you noticed that blockbuster always has a strange way of calling you up and letting you know you have a late fee? Yea right ! You say ! Like there prices are not way to high already. I vote no rent ! With ebay who cares about renting when you can spend 10-20 dollars more and own the game. Not to mention you can turn around and sell it. Online auctions and trades , etc. Is going to close down everything except walmart as we are not only consumers but online businessmen as well. If you check this stuff out and become familiar with prices online, You can walk into your local shops and crack up laughing at their over priced, sky high, markups! O well its time for me to turn back into a plow mule and continue plowing this here field..hee haw !

xbox_elf
08-18-2002, 08:41 PM
all i do is rent,probaly because i never have any cash,besides,most of the xbox games that have come out so far aren't worth buying.