PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a list of games that support HDTV rez?

JimmieDoogan
08-17-2002, 01:52 AM
Just as the title states, I would like to know if anyone has a list or knows of one that shows all of the Xbox games (currently out and ones coming if possible) that support HDTV resolutions. What ever they may be. Thanks in advance!

Brevity
08-17-2002, 02:02 AM
here (http://144.92.220.70/hdg.asp?System=Xbox)

LynxFX
08-17-2002, 02:03 AM
There is a link in my sig.

But here is the very short list.

Street Hoops Basketball is the only game to support a resolution other than 480p. It supports 720p.

Dragon's Lair 3D is supposed to be 1080i.

Other than those, none really have been announced.

Home Theater Forum (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8539) has a great thread that keeps track of this for all platforms.

Hugh_Jass
08-17-2002, 04:18 AM
Have you tried Street Hoops, Lynxfx? I may have to rent it just to experience 720p. Basketball just isn't my scene, however.

(BTW--Lynxfx, I'm stage manager for Frankenstein at our civic theatre. It's going to be a great show.)

addict733
08-17-2002, 04:40 AM
hey lynxfx, what do you think about the 27" RCA tv with the "vport" i dont have a component tv yet. and its only 300 bux. and also i hope to buy an rca home theater system for about 300 bux. 500 watts. so what do you think?

LynxFX
08-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
Have you tried Street Hoops, Lynxfx? I may have to rent it just to experience 720p. Basketball just isn't my scene, however.

(BTW--Lynxfx, I'm stage manager for Frankenstein at our civic theatre. It's going to be a great show.)

No I didn't even know this game existed. I just saw it on the shelf at EB and saw the back say HDTV-720p. I checked out the HTF and sure enough the reports were coming in. So I think I will have to rent it. Honestly, the back of the box with the screens didn't look all that promising.

Frankenstein. Wish I was there!!

addict733,
I think the RCA tv with the 'vport' is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. You are probably better off just finding a nice tv with component inputs and call it a day. Your sound system should work fine. Just make sure that it says DD 5.1 and DTS, not just pro logic. I would also advise looking for a setup that has a seperate powered subwoofer versus a passive one. Alot of the HTIB(home theater in a box) setups usually only have passive subwoofers so just check around. There are quite a few options in your price range.

MerimacHamwich
08-17-2002, 09:03 PM
All games ,unless they are a Playstation2 port, support HDTV.

robnyack
08-18-2002, 07:15 AM

this, of course, is just plain wrong.

LynxFX
08-18-2002, 01:27 PM
: MerimacHamwich
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by robnyack

this, of course, is just plain wrong.

As usual.

Hey Merimac, why don't you go here (http://home.attbi.com/~lynxfx/HDTV/index.html) and click on "Difference between SDTV, EDTV, and HDTV."

Just a quick rundown: All xbox games with the exception of Agent Under Fire SDTV are EDTV and currently only one game supports the 720p resolution of HDTVand that is Street Hoops Basketball.

No game supports the HDTV resolution of 1080i.

MerimacHamwich
08-18-2002, 01:32 PM
So you are saying a game that supports 480p isn't HDTV? Usuasally when I say HDTV I am not talking about the different resolutions. I am talking about a TV that produces a clearer image than a regular one. So in my case I guess you could say Higher Definition Television not High. I am sorry if I led you astray by thinking that EDTV was HDTV.

LynxFX
08-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
So you are saying a game that supports 480p isn't HDTV? Usuasally when I say HDTV I am not talking about the different resolutions. I am talking about a TV that produces a clearer image than a regular one. So in my case I guess you could say Higher Definition Television not High. I am sorry if I led you astray by thinking that EDTV was HDTV.

That is exactly what I'm saying. 480p is not HDTV. HDTV isn't and shouldn't be used to describe something that is clearer than something else. It is a standardized format with its own specs. Acclaim got nailed hard for putting "HDTV" support for the game Burnout when it doesn't support HDTV at all (720p or 1080i). Doing stuff like that just continues to confuse the public. That is the only reason why I pointed you to my site so you can see the difference between the two. It is like saying a stationwagon is a bus. Sure you can haul more people than say a pinto but it is no where near the hauling capacity of a real bus. :)

But in the end unless the HDTV is being sent a high def or progressive signal it won't be any clearer than a standard def interlaced tv.