PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live possible threat ?

KviK
08-17-2002, 09:52 PM
What if a hacker tricks a xbox live enabled game to play on gamespy making it think it is on live with a t3 host ? Live would be pointless no?

It doesn't have to be gamespy because they would probly be sued, it can be this underground thing like ftp warez, only goes through people and no1 outside knows about it.

The downloads, who cares ? subscribe to oxm.

The lag ? Well, some people in counter-strike pay for t3 hosts, im sure this could be the same for xbox ?

Voice communication ? Hey if the guy programs his program right, there would be no problem ... t3 hosts and everyone is playing on broadband = no lag. Plus if that doesn't work, use rogerwilco on the computer.

I'm not a hacker or anything but this is a possible threat no ?

Whisper
08-17-2002, 09:53 PM
i doubt it will be a threat... but if it is... gee that would suck

Snoopy7548
08-17-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by KviK
What if a hacker tricks a xbox live enabled game to play on gamespy making it think it is on live with a t3 host ? Live would be pointless no?

ummm, thats not gonna happen. in order to play on gamespy, you need it to be installed on your computer. and when you hook your xbox up, its not even hooked up to your computer. so theres no chance of that happening. and you cant just launch a program like that with the xbox.

Snapple
08-17-2002, 10:16 PM
dont worry i highly doubt it will happen

Marc
08-18-2002, 12:27 AM
Xbox live uses MILITARY GRADE encryption. No worries...

Reversion
08-18-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Marc

Yes XBOX Live does..

Anyone could easily reverse engineer/hack into xbox and setup a FREE service to play over the net.

It can happen it will happen and it will happen.. and you know what? rightly ****ing so.

You realise what MS has done with the xbox is setup their own micro monopoly.. they could say next year hey the price has doubled because we are silly monkeys and wed have to pay it..

If someone develops an xblive server emulator or just develops a completely different server using the same protocal.. (remember xbox is just sweet little pc tucked away in a box) microsoft will be forced to give us serious incentive to pay for the subscriber service and not use the free underground one..

and personally.. i think if it is illegal for someone to setup an alternate method of playing over net using xblive protocal then thats absolute BS, its like saying you cant change the engine on your car to use diff parts!

In my opinion this would only be good for the paying subscribers and the people who cant afford the xblive service when it comes out.. you guys should try to think of it in that light as well.

:(

addict733
08-18-2002, 06:27 AM
how about banning system wide. talk about STUPID. if one person has a grudge against you, you can kiss your ass good bye. no playing ANY games online.

Snapple
08-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Marc

man i just learnd something and its ccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaazzzzzzzzzyyyyyyy

Reversion
08-18-2002, 09:09 AM
Forgive me if english isnt your first language but wtf does that mean?

Originally posted by addict733
how about banning system wide. talk about STUPID. if one person has a grudge against you, you can kiss your ass good bye. no playing ANY games online.

Snapple
08-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Reversion
Forgive me if english isnt your first language but wtf does that mean?

i dont know:eek: ,lol yea its like 9:00am were i live and i wasnt trying to spell right:o anyway it supposed to mean i didnt know that xbox uses a military thing and its amasing that it does

felix_fabulous
08-18-2002, 09:47 AM
I know most of you folks are geeks with the fear of god "oooooh but what about the demise of the dreamcast, let me spread my cheeks for the bastions of consumption" type deals, but I'd feel like such a tool if I ever, ever, ended up paying for the pleasure of playing X-box online when there will always be a zillion ways to enjoy that suff without having to fork out for the privilage of being restricted

X-Ray
08-18-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by KviK

It doesn't have to be gamespy because they would probly be sued, it can be this underground thing like ftp warez, only goes through people and no1 outside knows about it.

The downloads, who cares ? subscribe to oxm.

The lag ? Well, some people in counter-strike pay for t3 hosts, im sure this could be the same for xbox ?

Voice communication ? Hey if the guy programs his program right, there would be no problem ... t3 hosts and everyone is playing on broadband = no lag. Plus if that doesn't work, use rogerwilco on the computer.

I'm not a hacker or anything but this is a possible threat no ?

If I could only put into words your lack of critical thinking skills.

Reversion
08-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by xboxfan38

i dont know:eek: ,lol yea its like 9:00am were i live and i wasnt trying to spell right:o anyway it supposed to mean i didnt know that xbox uses a military thing and its amasing that it does

actually its not really amazing.. netscape has used military grade encryption for a long time..

thats why they ask you if your a terrorist in the EULA

EHWfedPres
08-18-2002, 11:14 PM
I see no purpose in hacking into the Xbox at all, so if someone does, i think we should really feel sorry for that poor unfortunate soul.....

Whisper
08-18-2002, 11:58 PM
i dont know, if they did, and deleted soundtracks, for a person with alot, that could really **** them off

Sodacider
08-19-2002, 12:08 AM
just a very general comment towards this thread-

The XBOX has a BIOS and it's almost guaranteed part of that is programmed to respond only to Microsoft while online (not LAN).

What your saying ONLY makes sense if every game can also be played on LAN, which seems unlikely.

KviK
08-19-2002, 12:53 AM
funny how gamespy will have more online games then live when launched.

SoccerCJM77
08-19-2002, 07:36 AM
:cool: Man that would suck badly