PDA

View Full Version : OK, what is the truth...

Highlite23
08-18-2002, 10:58 AM
I have to admit i don't pay alot of attention to the competions details, but i'm getting tired of debating the on-line situation.

Now we all know the XBOX LIVE plan...
$49.95 for the Starter Kit/Communicator (1 Year Membership Included)
$??.?? for your Monthly Broadband connection.
That's basically it right??

Now i keep reading Sony is FREE, but you do need...
$39.95 for the Starter Kit (BB & Dial Up)
And even though MOST publications don't say it, you do still pay a monthly fee just as with Braodband, albite a little less expensive, to your provider. Yes, Sony isn't going to charge anything for the games, but i would bet my left arm the developers will.

So why is it that when i readan article comparing the 2, PS2 seems to always get the upper hand?? Just because its capable of using a dial-up connection?? Even though the same dorks righting the article admit dial up is not the way to go. And my favorite...With the PS2 you don' have to pay for anything except your starter kit, but in the same article they mention that with XBOX you will have a monthly fee to your provider. What??? Don't you pay a monthly fee to your ISP provider?? Yes i know, it's cheap[er, blah,blah, blah, but to not mention it with one and use this reason as a knock on the other is rediculous.

So i guess i just wanted input on anything i may be missing or not kjnow about so i can be more informed in my debates with my leming friends.

Thanks in advance.

Just for the record, Broadband is not available in my area and you could'nt pay me enough to play on-line via dial-up, i would rather not play.

;)

Duke
08-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Well, to make a short, kind of uneducated answer,

You will need to spend the extra dough on at least the on-line accessory. You will have to pay $100? for the hard drive although most probably won't use it as add-ons have never been very popular. A lot of games will probably charge, but Sony is not running the servers, so they won't actually be the ones charging you. And, of course, there will be lag as dial-up users will be playing too.

From what I hear there is a good chance that some xbox games will have extra fees, and that sucks, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of titles (at least in their release forms) will be fully included with your subscription.

The reason why Sony seems to always have the upper hand in the articles you read is probably because it remains the most popular system and probably will until the nex-gen systems come out. (and maybe even after that who knows? My magic 8-ball says "answer unclear, ask again)

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 12:39 PM
$49.95 for the first year.
$9.95 a month after the first year (still worth it)

And then whatever your broadband connection costs. I would not even try to play console gaming across a 56K line. OMG! That is gonna be horrible! IMO!

faceoff508
08-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Its up to the publishers to assign the monthly fee!!

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Its already stated the Xbox Live will cost $9.95 a month after the first year. If publishers charge that wil be on top of Microsofts charge.

Marc
08-18-2002, 03:53 PM
I mihgt be wrong, but I don't think the publisher's will charge anything for the games available on xbox live. I mean, they won't add an online fee. Sony's publisher's almost certainly will.