PDA

View Full Version : beta testers get everything free

chili325
08-18-2002, 11:05 AM
posted this in the live forum but no ones there so heres a link to the ign article which states the info. I WAS AWARE of the old info where u had to pay upfront. This NEW info is from the XO2 conference just recently.ign article (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/361/361526p1.html)

Duke
08-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Actually, from what I've read, you will still have to pay your $49.99 up front, but it will include the length of the beta plus the year. So no, it's not fee. That's the last I heard. I'll post again if I get to looking it up for you before I hit the hay.

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Beta testers will have to buy their equipment at $49.95. And they will get their beta time and the first year free. But all the subscribers also get their first year free. SO really the only benefit you get as a beta is you go live earlier than the rest of the world!!!! Thats still kewl and I'd do it!!!!

chili325
08-18-2002, 01:12 PM
did either of u read the article at question? read the part about beta testing. IGN ARTICLE (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/361/361526p1.html)

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 01:15 PM
Uh huh....and when has microsoft given something away for free? Too at least 5,000 people too!..LOL! It'd be great if they gave it away free, but I highly doubt it, and it was said before that beta testers would have to purchase their equipment. But would get extra benefits here and there.

chili325
08-18-2002, 01:27 PM
I dont c what ur missing, did u read the article?This isnt something im saying they SHOULD do. They said they ARE doing it.

LynxFX
08-18-2002, 01:30 PM
I thought the only thing beta testers are getting free are the games, like Fever 2k3 and possibly one other unannounced game. At least they better get the game free because if I'm picked I'll be damned if I go out and buy a game I wouldn't have bought anyway, ie Fever 2k3.

Otherwise everything else that you buy for $49 is the same stuff that every xbox owner on earth is going to get when they pay the $49 for the Live started kit.

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 04:12 PM
My main question is, Is that letter endorsed with the Microsoft name? If not then I would say wait til you get your info for the beta test and see if its really free.

Plewis
08-18-2002, 04:19 PM
Is there going to be a beta test?

In fact, there is. About 10,000 Xbox owners will be selected to participate in the beta test of Xbox Live beginning in late August. They'll automatically receive 12 months of service for absolutely free along with the rest of the XBL starter kit. NFL Fever 2003 will be the first game testers will have to play, but Microsoft has plans to increase the number of beta testers and the library of test games throughout the early fall until November 15. Testers will also receive an orange, limited edition beta tester "man bag" or "he-purse" as a token of Microsoft's appreciation.

I think IGN got their facts a little messed up... but if they didnt yea for me! If I get in...

CrazyCougar
08-18-2002, 04:27 PM
I acutally think everyone is reading into that everything free sentence. I think they are saying You will get a starter kit and games along with a FREE year of service. Bad grammar can ruin everything...LOL!!!!

LynxFX
08-18-2002, 05:46 PM
How about we just stick to what the actual company that is putting this on says.

From MICROSOFT:

If you're chosen to be on the Beta Team, you must purchase the Xbox Live Beta Starter Pack for $49.95 to participate. With the Beta Starter Pack, you get one year of Xbox Live's intense gaming service, Communicator headset and module, setup DVD, handy reference guide, Beta game(s), including the prerelease, online-only version of NFLâ„¢ Fever 2003, and more. To say thanks for playing and participating in the Beta, we're throwing in some additional high-speed game play, on us. So you'll play for nothing until the scheduled official launch in November 2002.

You will HAVE to pay $49.95 to participate in the Beta.

IGN is wrong...yet again.