PDA

View Full Version : XBOX + Microsoft= Breakdowns???

Slash10
11-04-2001, 06:39 PM
Ok, som people have been telling me that since microoft is making the XBOX that its going to be a piece of **** and all and that it will probally break down alot and what not. Is there a chnce of this happening? I dont think so, because my atari still works fine and all so I dont think think the Xbox hould have problems but will there be????

Infinite
11-04-2001, 07:39 PM
:lol

ChaZ
11-04-2001, 09:51 PM
Shlash,

Don't believe everything everyone tells you.

-ChaZ

benz_300sl
11-04-2001, 10:01 PM
the odd system will obviously break down...that happens with ALL consoles (n64, ps2 etc.), but not ALL of the units will break down, this would have been obvious in their testing phases and they wouldnt release it....or they would delay it until they could fix the problem

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 10:37 AM
Hey slash. Oh man! you have to seriously jump off a cliff! Come on! You have to!

Are you willing to believe this?

:D

-Max

mojo__31
11-05-2001, 11:43 AM
There is one thing about the Xbox that makes it more apt to have a failure, the hard drive. It is the most fragile of any component ever in a console. If people try to carry there Xbox around to friends and back and stuff, they will be more apt to crash, the Xbox will need to be treated with care like a PC, and not like the indestructable consoles like the N64 and stuff. And before any Xbox fanatics tries to put my theory down, let me say I to am buying and Xbox as well, but note, I do tech support for hard drives for the company who makes the Xbox drives, and I deal with this stuff everyday for a living. Microsoft will have to expect a larger number of failures than other consoles due to this. I just hope there speed of service is good, god knows there service for windows problems leaves alot to be desired.

Twolf77
11-05-2001, 04:37 PM
good point abut the hard drive, but dude i can't speak for anyone but myself. but i handle my console with care it is not like i trow it around and stuff :D

scarecrow kfj
11-05-2001, 04:40 PM
I actualy still plan on using mem cards. I know I couold save in the hd but i would rather keep it in the card to keep more space open in the hd to create less load and more speed

CharlesDD2
11-05-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by mojo__31
There is one thing about the Xbox that makes it more apt to have a failure, the hard drive. It is the most fragile of any component ever in a console. If people try to carry there Xbox around to friends and back and stuff, they will be more apt to crash, the Xbox will need to be treated with care like a PC, and not like the indestructable consoles like the N64 and stuff. And before any Xbox fanatics tries to put my theory down, let me say I to am buying and Xbox as well, but note, I do tech support for hard drives for the company who makes the Xbox drives, and I deal with this stuff everyday for a living. Microsoft will have to expect a larger number of failures than other consoles due to this. I just hope there speed of service is good, god knows there service for windows problems leaves alot to be desired.

And that is exactly why my X-Box is going to stay here when I get it, I never was a fan of transporting consoles or anything game related, too many things could go wrong.

mojo__31
11-05-2001, 05:01 PM
The saves you make on the hard drive will not affect system performance or load times. The main use of the memory card is to be able to transport saves to another system, like over to a friends house or something, the hard drive is all you need if you won't be doing that.

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by mojo__31

Dude, you have to be kidding! The GameCube and the N64 are not indestructable...lol...I plan on running my N64 over with my truck and watch it explode after I get my XBox! :D hehe

mojo__31
11-05-2001, 05:47 PM
Cool, however, in realistic terms, the N64 was about as tough as you could get for a console, I have seem them go through hell and never miss a beat, things an Xbox would have nightmares about.

scarecrow kfj
11-06-2001, 09:38 AM
I will agree with that my 64 took a licking and kept on ticking new systems are a bit more fragile.

Hugh_Jass
11-06-2001, 12:10 PM
Slash -- your Atari (2600, I assume?) has no moving parts, which goes a long way for durability.

The lifespan of a hard drive is an average of three years. If you're still playing XBox by the time your drive dies I'm sure you will be able to replace it easily. And by that time 100G hard drives will probably cost fifty cents.

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 12:18 PM
I already have a perfect and safe spot to place my XBox on and I just got finished lining a coffin for my N64 :D

eman
11-06-2001, 06:28 PM
And there you have it,integrated systems 101.

JranZu
11-06-2001, 06:36 PM
I don't know if I read it hear or not... But with the Xbox Partys in New York and La -- Those systems were played for 48 hours strait and not one system broke down, crashed or needed fixing of any sort... I think that says a lot...

SciFi
11-06-2001, 06:43 PM
3yr.s? ...

eman
11-06-2001, 07:26 PM
With the magnetic pick up so close to the platters of the hard disk, how safe can it be without being in the park position, which all hard drives today park on shut down only. Now the distance between the pick up and platters, not even a hair can come between it. So now your playing football with your four buddies. and one gets so emotional that he yanks the controller cord, which in turn moves the console abruptly, causing the pickup to damage a part of the sector. chances are very high for this catastrophe to happen. and for this reason XB is susceptible or any other component with a hard drive for that matter. its happened many of times with my laptop. thank god i have dell’s warranty. So how convenient is it to have an integrated system. which is why i don't like XB. Its a shoddy and cheap design.

mojo__31
11-06-2001, 09:55 PM
It is hardly a shoddy and cheap design, lol. Microsoft made a gamble that the benefits of a hard drive outway the risks. Also, the Xbox has break away controller plugs so they come out before yanking the system with them.

eman
11-06-2001, 10:07 PM
Im just saying the possibility is there. And if it happens. The kids gonna say, mommy this XB sucks. eman’s PS2 still plays game’s without his hard drive. Well you see Billy PS2 is not an integrated system. Like the XB .now will wait for daddy to come home and see if he as a warranty. For now just sit there and look at it. :(

scarecrow kfj
11-07-2001, 08:04 AM
[lol I originaly repeated what mojo said opps

smack119
11-07-2001, 11:13 PM
yeah eman it would be more like...eman hasnt come over to try to play xbox anymore...yeah!!! and playing football with your 4 buddies huh, i guess your not playing ps2 then or did you go spend the extra $30 for a multi tap, and the extra $150 for your hard drive? even if you did your friends would still be playing the other kids xbox with him anyway

SciFi
11-08-2001, 08:37 PM
Some people are not 5 and know how to take care of their Pride and Joy...
If your friends act like 5yr. olds then perhaps get a gamecube...
you can even play dice with it when the power goes out...or if you hate the games...:D

Thradar
11-08-2001, 09:00 PM
New to the site...hi.

Anyway...

1) Intel designed the system board
2) Intel designed the cooling/heat sink system
3) Flextronics designed the chassis with input from Intel (for cooling)
4) Flextronics builds the entire system
5) Components provided by everyone BUT Microsoft.
6) Microsoft wrote all the specs and drove the features.

MS has no expertise in hardware, electrical, or thermal design. They farmed it out. So if it fails it's not just Microsofts fault.

mojo__31
11-08-2001, 09:08 PM
First off the system board and GPU is built by Nvidia, , the CPU is Intel. Chassis was designed (at least size shape and style) by the Microsoft Xbox team. Microsoft is responsible for the OS and software interface that controls the system. The specs were based on price versus performance based on what was available on the market. Microsoft found the best available parts based on what their max cost would be. If anything Nvidia has the most responsibility for what the system is.

Thradar
11-08-2001, 11:24 PM
Somewhat right. As well.

nVidia designed the GPU which also has a Northbridge chipset integrated. An Intel motherboard design group layed out the motherboard, and Flextronics spun it. Another party (or maybe MS) did the industrial design of the box. Note that ID has almost nothing to do with function. Flextronics took the ID and modified it for manufacturability and did the internal design. The also worked with Intel on the thermal design (venting, ducting, etc). Intel did the thermal design for the CPU and GPU. Flextronics is manufacturing the box. The entire CAD (not including ID) was done using Pro/Engineer v2000i. (http://www.ptc.com). And fact is, nVidia probably has the least to play in this entire thing. All they did is provide the GPU and the pinout as a supplier.

Don't ask me how I know this. I'd have to kill you. ;)

Flextronics press release (http://www.flextronics.com/press/releases/2000/20000419sja.asp)
Story about Intel supplied motherboard (actually fabbed by Flex) (http://biz.yahoo.com/ts/010815/valley_010815.html)

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 09:19 AM
if it breaks it breaks just like when a P2 breaks it breaks Or the cube if it breaks it breaks. But me my self instead of thinking about systems breaking I would rather be thinking about how much fun I am going to have with my system. Regardless of the maker. (xbx,gc,p2)

eman
11-09-2001, 09:32 AM
I guess, you would not mind driving a fiat. :eek:

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 09:50 AM
actualy I do research and if something goes wrong I look at as my fault. I drive a Sante fe 2001 fully loaded heated leather and so on... The only two systems I ever had problem with were P2 and atri.

mojo__31
11-09-2001, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the further info and links Thradar, that is contrary to what I have "thought" I have read, lol. I was under the assumption that the board AND GPU were from Nvidia, basically the nForce they now provide for the PC. I haven't seen those stories before.