PDA

View Full Version : Game of the YEAR 2002??

faceoff508
08-19-2002, 10:42 AM
Who will it be? Last year Halo and Grand Theft Auto III dominated. But what game will be game of the year in 2002?

This is very tough since Nintendo has two very hyped games coming out this year, and Sony has SOCOM. SOCOM got very good reviews:

Game Informer: 9.5 out of 10 %
GameNow: A
Playstation Magazine: 5 out of 5

And the Xbox has Blinx, and Brute Force.

So its tough but I would Expect Meteroid Prime, and MArio Sunshine to be the winners. What do you think?

faceoff508
08-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Wait a sec.... heres all the reviews for Super MArio Sunshine:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/22110.asp

I think I changed my mind I would say MEteroid Prime and Blinx will rule the game of the year awards.

SoccerCJM77
08-19-2002, 10:54 AM
Maybe it could be Halo again I hope

faceoff508
08-19-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by SoccerCJM77
Maybe it could be Halo again I hope

You cant do that, it came out a year ago. Its 2002.

clutch
08-19-2002, 10:57 AM
I think Unreal Championship will get game of the year.

lllSmokelll
08-19-2002, 11:08 AM
isnt Shenmue2 commin out????......the 2 best games of 2002 will be Shenmue2 and Metroid Prime

Duke
08-19-2002, 11:21 AM
I really hope UC will make it, just because I want it to be a great game, I really have no idea about the other systems titles, as I only (for now) own an xbox.

My housemate has a PS2, and I haven't seen one game that should be considered, but then I haven't seen many.

Really I only care, but a GOTY for xbox will help it's sales, and that's good for me.

VAN
08-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Splinter Cell perhaps? I dunno.

MixMasta
08-19-2002, 12:02 PM
i will probably be unreal championship or 2003, computer games win alot....as for console games, uc as said, or shenmue 2, metroid prime, or blinx, or splinter cell, and maybe mgs2

Whisper
08-19-2002, 12:21 PM
im going to say Unreal Championship gets game of the year

Toonz
08-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Warcraft 3 hands down best game released this year. Visit any game site that has a reader poll and they all agree. If by some reason it does not win than Neverwinter Nights most likely that seems to be #2 on every poll I have seen

Tkf5000
08-19-2002, 12:55 PM
i think it will be a unreal game. or maybe blinx. i dunno really. all he sites will have different game of the years.

P-Rock
08-19-2002, 01:26 PM
I say either Unreal Championship or Splinter Cell gets game of the year. They both look very, very promising. :cool:

xboxtito
08-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Best games of 2002 will be Shenmue2 and UC

Dre
08-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Must agree with Toonz... Warcraft III is my bet for GOTY, and it would be very well deserved. It has a great story, great graphics, great gameplay and kickass multiplayer and editor. You can't really ask for much more. Plus its a Blizzard game, so you just know there's going to be an expansion pack as well thats going to kick some ass.

l Maximus l
08-19-2002, 04:40 PM
My guess would be Unreal Championship. Just think about how amazing it's going to be with the fact that it's on-line via XBox Live...the replayibility will equal or exceed that of Halo.

Halo is, by far, the best game I've ever played. Most of that is credited to the fact that you can play it on-line. And, even with the fact that XBConnect has some lagging issues, it still draws me in constantly.

Unreal Championship is going to have a similar level of replayibility...but, in it's case, we are not dealing with a person that has a cable or DSL connection to act as the server... Instead, we are dealing with servers that are in the 7.8 terabytes per second level!!!! :D

y2kash_14
08-19-2002, 05:26 PM
My vote goes to Splinter Cell, either that or Metroid Prime

EHWfedPres
08-19-2002, 07:13 PM
Halo is was too overrated. Mario games are worse.

Warcraft 3 actually looks like crap compared to other RTS games that I've played...and I cant name every RTS game I ever played because I'll be here all night. I know everything about almost every RTS game ever and Warcraft 3 is way behind its time. The graphics look cartoonish, and there are very, VERY few 3d rts games that have been decent...

Anyway, Unreal looks great, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year before making any guesses...

johnny ownZ joo
08-19-2002, 07:20 PM
i think it will be splinter cell, since basically every site/mag that has play it is loving it. i also think wc3 should be the game of the yr, but IMO sc is still a much better game :)

EHWfedPres
08-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by johnny ownZ joo
i think it will be splinter cell, since basically every site/mag that has play it is loving it. i also think wc3 should be the game of the yr, but IMO sc is still a much better game :)

Who cares about sites and magazines liking a game...what if you hate it? Im not saying you will, but never, EVER go by what another site or magazine says about a game...because that is just their opinion, which should have zero effect on you.

CajunIsRagin
08-19-2002, 08:07 PM
Warcraft III overall game of the year.

Brute Force in the top 5.

Toonz
08-19-2002, 09:27 PM
Spoken like a man who has absolutley no idea what he's talking about.

You took the words right out my mouth Motoko

I know everything about almost every RTS game ever and Warcraft 3 is way behind its time

Are you kidding me. You obviously have not played this game. If its way behind its time why is it the quickest game ever to sell 1 Million copies http://www.blizzard.com/press/020722war3.shtml

MerimacHamwich
08-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Something tells me xboxtito and goldberg are the same person. I don't think blinx will get game of the year nor Mario Sunshine. UC probably shouldn't either. Brute Force seems like a powerful candidate, from what I have heard Never Winter Nights is amazing and who can forget MORROWIND!

I cannot see any PS2 or Gamecube game getting a game of the year. They just don't seem to have any real "good" looking games. They all seem average with below standard graphics. Well maybe Eternal Darkness could get some votes as it has some original ideas in it.

Enclave would have been right up there if it had full multiplayer capabilities. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic looks promising. Splinter Cell is also looking good. It is hard to tell. The real competition seems to be coming out soon.

MerimacHamwich
08-19-2002, 09:52 PM
WarCraft 3 is pretty much just a rip off of WarLords Battlecry. They stole a few ideas from it. Either than that it is the same old warcraft. I agree it was fun but I do not think it deserves Game Of The Year. A game that gets GOTY needs to be somewhat innovative.

Toonz
08-19-2002, 10:23 PM
I played Warlords and I just don't think its 1/2 as good. Nice to see another Calgarian :)

jccip20
08-19-2002, 11:40 PM
Hunter: The Reckoning all the way to the bank guys, i bet 3 canadian dollars on it.

Whisper
08-19-2002, 11:46 PM
ill take you up on that! hunter will NOT win! it was good, but not amazing.

Kortiz
08-20-2002, 12:15 AM
hard to tell.......

also, i am a shenmue fan like the next guy, but shenmue2 is a port, they will have to pump something into this game to make it good enough for game of the year.

that would be sweet though for shenmue2 to get game of the year on xbox.........exclusive btw.

mario sunshine, and metroid will do very well

splinter cell or blinx is possible

brute force might turn some heads, who knows

too hard for me to tell

MerimacHamwich
08-20-2002, 12:21 AM
Now I know of 4 calgarians on these boards!

y2kash_14
08-20-2002, 03:06 PM
HaHa Hunter GOTY , what a joke..

Mario usually takes the cake with GOTY, but i dont feel so confident with this year. There are just too many big games to compete with...Brute Force, Metroid Prime, Splinter Cell, Shenmue 2 who knows, even THPS 4 might be a competitor

jccip20
08-20-2002, 03:37 PM
In case anyone didn't notice, I was just kidding, by the way there is an interesting article at www.xbox365.com about beta e-mails being sent out tommorrow, and thats from xbox live head Karen Carter-Schwendler at least I think anyway.

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Motoko
I know someone who already has a pirated copy of UT2003, and all it is is Unreal Tournament with Quake3 graphics. Supposedly it's like 4 discs and there are 2 gigs that are just textures. :o

UT already surpassed Quake 3 graphics, IMHO. UT2003 does not take a step backwards in the graphics department.

I think it will be either UT2003 or UC. Of course there are alot of good games planned for this holiday season so just like the oscars, we will have to wait and see.

Brevity
08-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by clutch
I think Unreal Championship will get game of the year.
Dido:cool:

cityson
08-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Game of the Year two thousand and two will beeeeeeeee.........

http://www.xeye.it/giochi/preview/motogp_second/pic/mgp_in.gif

mrmp3
08-20-2002, 05:55 PM
Although Shenmue II was an amazing game (played it on DC), most sites like IGN and Gamespot have played the import. Now if it came out in America last year, I think it would've been up there for GOTY. But if it's the same thing as last year with better graphics, I doubt it'll get GOTY. For this year, I think UC will win. The fact it has online play and downloadable content to keep an already amazing game fresh will help (oh let's no forget those land and air vehicles that have been rumored. Everyone loves vehicles. Warcraft III is another canidate for game of the year. LAN games are a blast and I've yet to play online. As for GC games, I don't have much faith in Mario Sunshine winning however, another title most of you prob haven't heard, Die Hard: Vendetta, looks like Nintendo's new flagship FPS title (like Goldeneye was for N64). However, I believe the game was delayed until next year. The only PS2 game I could see getting GOTY besides SOCOM (which has gotten amazing reviews), is FFX. It's been the best since FF7 but I still never got into FF10 too much. Personally I'd play FFIII over those two anyday. BTW, who choose GOTY? Is it a bunch of magazines and websites or a commitee? Signing off...

MerimacHamwich
08-20-2002, 06:47 PM
If Final Fantasy wins game of the year I am going to have to kill someone.

Xracer
08-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by cityson
Game of the Year two thousand and two will beeeeeeeee.........

http://www.xeye.it/giochi/preview/motogp_second/pic/mgp_in.gif

this is the best game ive played so far this year IMHO, hard to tell what the game of the year will be but i'd like to how Splinter Cell and Sega GT2002 will fare

Xbox Owner
08-20-2002, 07:08 PM
Most likely GTA 4: Vice City, although I wouldn't pick it..

johnny ownZ joo
08-20-2002, 07:30 PM
Who cares about sites and magazines liking a game...what if you hate it? Im not saying you will, but never, EVER go by what another site or magazine says about a game...because that is just their opinion, which should have zero effect on you.
true, since every mag and site hated gunvalkryie, i loved it. but for splinter cell, i got a special feeling its gonna be great, especially the gameplay. if it plays like mgs2, or better, its gonna be a killer game :eek:

y2kash_14
08-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Brevity

Dido:cool:
hehe i believe you mean ditto?

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
If Final Fantasy wins game of the year I am going to have to kill someone.

I dont think a Final Fantasy game was released this year, the last one i believe was FFX which came out last year