PDA

View Full Version : The Official Keyboard and Mouse Poll

Jay Slay
08-20-2002, 12:45 AM
I don't know if this has been done already so don't bite my head off if it has. All over people have been complaining that they want a keyboard and mouse to use for FPS like Halo, Unreal, Doom 3, etc. But Microsoft has stated many a time that they will NOT make a keyboard peripheral. I wanna know what you guys thinks. If you want a keyboard and mouse pick "yes", if you don't then pick "no". And maybe make a statement as too why you would or wouldn't want it.

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 01:09 AM
I've always had a loud voice stating that I want a mouse and keyboard. No hiding that. :)

It doesn't even have to be a true keyboard, just a 20 key keypad would do. Anything, especially for FPS and RTS type games. I don't want one for communication like many people think that a keyboard's only use would be for.

Until a M/KB combo comes out for the Xbox I will only buy FPS like Doom III, Half Life 2, Unreal (any version) for the PC. Halo's controls are good, probably the best I've ever played on a console but it still is no match for the beloved mouse and keyboard.

I honestly don't get Microsoft's reasoning. All they are doing is alienating a group of gamers that won't touch the Xbox because of that sole reason. Releasing a M/KB won't make gamers stop playing, it will just bring in more gamers.

Rochey69r
08-20-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I've always had a loud voice stating that I want a mouse and keyboard. No hiding that. :)

It doesn't even have to be a true keyboard, just a 20 key keypad would do. Anything, especially for FPS and RTS type games. I don't want one for communication like many people think that a keyboard's only use would be for.

Until a M/KB combo comes out for the Xbox I will only buy FPS like Doom III, Half Life 2, Unreal (any version) for the PC. Halo's controls are good, probably the best I've ever played on a console but it still is no match for the beloved mouse and keyboard.

I honestly don't get Microsoft's reasoning. All they are doing is alienating a group of gamers that won't touch the Xbox because of that sole reason. Releasing a M/KB won't make gamers stop playing, it will just bring in more gamers.

agreed totally!!!

p.s. since you blocked me from msn this is the only way i can contact you.

how u been?
got any new xbox games?
hows the mile high theatre going?

still got all those dvd's?

l8r Lynx :)

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 01:23 AM
edit: wasn't thread related.

Rochey69r
08-20-2002, 01:29 AM
Hey Roche, I didn't block you I just haven't been using MSN.

Otherwise things have been good m8. Plenty of new games, new setup in the theater, new eyes all sorts of sh|te. :)

:( lynx lynx lynx, dont lie mate.

i thought we were pretty good mates.

until my old friend willo told me that you were on msn

i looked at my list at shore enuff.

Jason (offline)

y did you do it man?
:(

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 01:33 AM
edit: wasn't thread related.

Sodacider
08-20-2002, 01:40 AM
I personally don't want a keyboard and mouse ... Don't ask me why since I do like using it on my computer and I understand others like it lol

But hey here's a pointer- What use is a 20key keypad to us? If your gonna make a keyboard, make a KEYBOARD. We're all computer experts and that'll only be more true as years go by, so when we use keys on a keypad it's EASIEST for us to use keyboards as opposed to other things.

Ok I don't know if that made sense but if it did or didn't this'll clarify:
On taking my ASVAB (like SATs but more awkward), we were given a 'coding' section in which we matched groups of numbers with the appropriate option ABC or D. But the keyboards were set up in this format: Space bar = Enter, S = A, F = B, H = C, and K = D. Since I was so used to the normal keyboard set up I got a drastically reduced score on that section because I kept pressing the wrong buttons thinking it was a normal keyboard.

Anyway that was more for my I own benefit... uhhh....
I better go.

Rochey69r
08-20-2002, 01:49 AM
forget all the crap i just said except for the agreeing about the keyboard

p.s. soz for accusing you of blocking me lynx :(

sinizuh
08-20-2002, 03:56 AM
less than 30 posts and this kid is already posting "Offical" threads... :rolleyes:

Sodacider
08-20-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by sinizuh
less than 30 posts and this kid is already posting "Offical" threads... :rolleyes:

so?

part of what makes these boards great is that there isn't so much analness about being an oldbie.

Mercury
08-20-2002, 10:19 AM
First of all I think Rochey69r and Lynxfx need to get a room.

Secondly, I voted for NO K/M. I think having them is just plain stupid. A console does not need them. The only ones that want them are the crappy FPS players. They can't handle a real control scheme like a controller. No, they want a mouse so they can POINT to the enemy and CLICK with their mouse button.

The controller for a FPS is the most intuitive control for a FPS that ever was created! It's what the FPS games have been meant for. Having a M/K on our beloved xbox would only mean that crappy FPS players will get online with them and use ridiculously, unreal accurate pin-point shooting with the mouse that will ruin it for the rest of us.

And who in the world is stupid enough to play a console in front of their tv behind a table of some sort with a k/m on it?? That is just plain dumb!

hathornakt
08-20-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Mercury

And who in the world is stupid enough to play a console in front of their tv behind a table of some sort with a k/m on it??

It would seem different to have to put a table up in front of the television just to play xbox.. i just plop myself in front of the tv.. but it would probably be an optional addie (the kb/m).. plus, i dont think many game developers would bother to support it.. besides the Jeopardy people. (and please no more Jeapordies for console!! they dont get any better.) I read in a previous thread that had a site link to the xbox kb that it would be used for gameshark.. though i dont know why button combos wouldnt just work fine enough.

Snoopy7548
08-20-2002, 11:42 AM
it would be hard to use a keyboard with the xbox. you couldnt sit on your comfortable couch and just play. you would have to sit on the ground and put the keyboard on a table, which would be uncomfortable. and it would also be unfair. what about those people that dont want a keyboard? they would be getting killed by the people with a keyboard. it would be so uneven and everything. people are always saying that they dont want their console to be like a computer, but now they want a keyboard and a mouse? that seems pretty stupid. consoles arent meant for keyboard and mouses, if they were, then the first videogame system would have come with one.

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 11:53 AM
Haven't you people ever heard of 'innovation' or 'creative problem solving'?

Who said that you would need a table for a mouse/kb combo? Just because you did in the past doesn't mean it is written in stone. There are plenty of ways to design a system that gives you the same freedom as the controller including no table.

Like I said before, MS just continues to alienate themselves from a very large group of gamers. yeah I guess if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't care about trying to turn a profit either. :rolleyes:

And how many times does someone have to bring up "xbox is a console not a pc". Well gee, my microwave has a keyboard, is it is a PC too? My phone has a keyboard, guess it is a PC. The soap dispenser in the shower has a keyboard, guess it is a water proof PC.

Snoopy7548
08-20-2002, 12:03 PM
lol, your soap dispenser is a pc? thats so off the hizzy. lol. but still, if you had an online game with like 10 people with keyboard/mouse, and 10 people with the control pad, the people with the control pad would get wrecked. everyone knows the keyboard/mouse is so much more precise and easier. consoles have always had control pads, and i think it should stay that way. if you want to use a keyboard and a mouse, just play on your computer.

Tkf5000
08-20-2002, 12:10 PM
no. whats the points of having a console if your gunna use mouse and keyboard. and even if u say its for communication, well we have the head set u can talk in. if u want to use a keyboard and mouse go sell your xbox and just use that money to upgrade your pc. i think consoles should have controllers and computers mouse\keyboard.

hathornakt
08-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Haven't you people ever heard of 'innovation' or 'creative problem solving'?

Well gee, my microwave has a keyboard, is it is a PC too? My phone has a keyboard, guess it is a PC. The soap dispenser in the shower has a keyboard, guess it is a water proof PC.

thats right.. and the Coleco had a keyboard too on their joypads..... :confused: Coleco:confused:
.. go buy a coleco if you want a kb.. i still see them sold at garage sales on rare times.

Edit: For the younger generation who have not seen or heard of a coleco before, i thought i would add some pictures to this post instead of making new post..
http://www.trs-80.com/coleco.gif

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/games/family/coleco.jpg

Tkf5000
08-20-2002, 12:22 PM
i remeber caleco. my grandmother had it and its older than me. she had a game called q-bert and stuff i used to play when i was little. it had a keypad with like number 1-10 on it or sumthin.

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 01:15 PM
if you want to use a keyboard and a mouse, just play on your computer.

Thank you Snoopy.
That is exactly the point. I am and so are others. MS just loses potential gamers. I will still play my Xbox and games that work best with the controller but any FPS will be played on the PC.

hathornakt,

I vaguely remember that thing. They were so ahead of their time. :D

Mercury
08-20-2002, 01:21 PM
What potential gamers? Games like Halo are going to the PC anyway. So having a k/m for the xbox won't pursway anyone to the xbox anyway.

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Sure it would. By the time Halo comes to the PC it will have been readily available on the Xbox for a year and a half. Then you have all of the gamers that don't want to upgrade their PC's to handle the next wave of FPS, but don't want to play with a controller either. It all comes down to lost revenue.

Until there is a m/kb for the Xbox I will purchase all FPS games for the PC rather than the Xbox. I would love to play them on the Xbox because it would be on a 110" screen with a kickass sound system but to me, the controls(or lack thereof) outweight any other pro that gaming on the Xbox might have for FPS type games.

That is lost revenue to Microsoft.

Let me ask this. Would you stop buying games for the Xbox because microsoft releases a mouse and keyboard? I highly doubt it.

Jay Slay
08-20-2002, 07:24 PM
I would love to play them on the Xbox because it would be on a 110" screen with a kickass sound system but to me.........

Wow, 110' got any pics of it?

Azazel
08-21-2002, 12:15 AM

No way.! If a mouse and keyboard come out it will change everything. Do you know how much better control you have when aiming with a mouse. It will make games unfair for those who want to use the controller.
The whole reason I own an xbox is because I want console experience. God I hope they dont release a m/kb.

And yes I might consider not buying games if they put out a mouse and keyboard.