PDA

View Full Version : My take on all 3 Football games!!!

consolegamer
08-20-2002, 08:36 AM
I have to say that I am blessed to be able to own all 3 football games this year. I just live and breathe football. After extensive playing of all 3 games, here is my decision.

1. Madden. I think one BIG part of football is realism. I always liked the fact that Madden feels and sounds like a real football game. Real announcers is a must in the virtual world of football. I think they should also have kept in a fmv of james brown in the studio at halftime.

2. NFL 2K3. The animations and franchise in this game rock. It beats any other football game in these categories hands down. Also, the faces. They're so lifelike it's scary. If sega had real announcers in the booth, it would definately be #1.

3. Fever 2003. Alot of people think the graphics are the best of the 3. I have to disagree here. The graphics are great, but the animations are aweful. The players run out on the field like their strapped in a really tight girdle. The proportions are not there. It does play well though. The announcing really sucks . REALLY. It's online though, so that's a big plus.

Well, there is my take on this years games. If you put real announcers in 2K3 it would be #1. Also, if you put the players of 2K3 in Madden, it would be #1. I think EA and SEGA should piece both games together and make the ultimate sim!!!:eek:

peejay2288
08-20-2002, 08:50 AM
Hate to break it to you but there's really 5.

4) NCAA 2003
5) NFL Blitz 2003

UltimateAg
08-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by peejay2288
Hate to break it to you but there's really 5.

4) NCAA 2003
5) NFL Blitz 2003

I hate to break it to you but you missed one too peejay, NCAA 2k3.

consolegamer
08-20-2002, 12:12 PM
I hate to break it to you all but I was talking about the NFL. EA's game wins in the college category.

UltimateAg
08-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by consolegamer
I hate to break it to you all but I was talking about the NFL. EA's game wins in the college category.

I understood the point of your post and that you were refering to NFL. I was just messing with peejay (although Blitz IS NFL). I appreciate your commentary on the big 3 and for the most part agree. While I agree that the commentary sucks in NFL 2k3, and that the commentary in Madden rocks, I don't think that makes Madden a better game. It does help the game out at first to have great play-by-play calling but after about 10 games, I'm sick of the commentary and ready to turn it off no matter how good the announcers are. The sounds I'm more interested in (for the long lasting enjoyment of a football game) are the special effects and ambient sounds that make me feel like I'm the one dishing out the hits. And in this regard, I don't think Madden can touch 2k3. Other than that I like both, and since the ONLY real improvement to Fever is going online I'll pass on it this year (I don't consider adding the Texans and putting the teams in their proper divisions improving) .
http://img2.ranchoweb.com/images/ultimateag/2cents.gif

consolegamer
08-20-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by UltimateAg

I understood the point of your post and that you were refering to NFL. I was just messing with peejay (although Blitz IS NFL). I appreciate your commentary on the big 3 and for the most part agree. While I agree that the commentary sucks in NFL 2k3, and that the commentary in Madden rocks, I don't think that makes Madden a better game. It does help the game out at first to have great play-by-play calling but after about 10 games, I'm sick of the commentary and ready to turn it off no matter how good the announcers are. The sounds I'm more interested in (for the long lasting enjoyment of a football game) are the special effects and ambient sounds that make me feel like I'm the one dishing out the hits. And in this regard, I don't think Madden can touch 2k3. Other than that I like both, and since the ONLY real improvement to Fever is going online I'll pass on it this year (I don't consider adding the Texans and putting the teams in their proper divisions improving) .
http://img2.ranchoweb.com/images/ultimateag/2cents.gif

Great point, and well written! finally someone in this forum can post a comment without being rude about it.:cool:

robnyack
08-20-2002, 08:09 PM
While I agree that the commentary sucks in NFL 2k3, and that the commentary in Madden rocks,

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

the commentary in Madden rocks?????? hooboy.....one of the first things that started driving me nuts in Madden is for the 3rd straight year, they are using the SAME EXACT CANNED CLICHE` AWFUL Maddenisms throughout every game. I can't take it anymore. I just can't. Al Michaels adds some change (I kinda liked Summerall), but he is pretty low key, and does not add all that much to the quality of the commentary. But, it's just unforgivable to keep re-using the same madden phrases 3 years in a row. Get his fat ass in the studio and have him record some NEW canned cliche` awful maddenisms!!!!

I'm not big on the two guys in NFL2K3, but at least it's something new, and they do call a game pretty good.

Also, the faces. They're so lifelike it's scary.

They really are. At first glance, I didn't think much about them, but after playing for a while, every once in a while, you get just the right view of just the right face, and it's scary how real it looks!

I had Fever 2003, and I deeply disappointed in it. They did nothing but add online play. I'm sorry, but when Madden and NFL2k are continually upgrading, you either follow suit or get left behind. Fever unfortuantely chose to be left behind.

One thing no one mentioned is the franchise mode. I just finished the offseason in NFL2k3, and wow! They have taken the franchise mode to NEW HEIGHTS! What a fantastic job they did. The other games were totally left in Sega's Franchise mode dust! That was the most fun I've ever had not playing football when playing a football game!

Jay_Fro
08-20-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by consolegamer
I have to say that I am blessed to be able to own all 3 football games this year. I just live and breathe football. After extensive playing of all 3 games, here is my decision.

1. Madden. I think one BIG part of football is realism. I always liked the fact that Madden feels and sounds like a real football game. Real announcers is a must in the virtual world of football. I think they should also have kept in a fmv of james brown in the studio at halftime.

2. NFL 2K3. The animations and franchise in this game rock. It beats any other football game in these categories hands down. Also, the faces. They're so lifelike it's scary. If sega had real announcers in the booth, it would definately be #1.

3. Fever 2003. Alot of people think the graphics are the best of the 3. I have to disagree here. The graphics are great, but the animations are aweful. The players run out on the field like their strapped in a really tight girdle. The proportions are not there. It does play well though. The announcing really sucks . REALLY. It's online though, so that's a big plus.

Well, there is my take on this years games. If you put real announcers in 2K3 it would be #1. Also, if you put the players of 2K3 in Madden, it would be #1. I think EA and SEGA should piece both games together and make the ultimate sim!!!:eek:

I've owned 3 of this years football titles and I would rank them in the following order.

1) NFL 2K3

2) NCAA Football 2003 (EA Sports)

3) NFL Fever 2003

Now if I could change anything about NFL 2K3 I would implement the dynasty and dynamic player performance updates from NFL Fever 2003.

I also wish that players you make in create a player could get in the pro bowl based on stats. I threw up 54 TD's and a QB rating of 128 in 5 minute quarters and finished behind my second and third string QB's for Pro Bowl voting. My RB that also had 2011 yards on the ground and 23 TD's finished at the bottom of the pack for Pro Bowl voting as well.

Fix those things for 2004 and you have the best football game in history.

Marc
08-21-2002, 12:24 AM
The best games are:

1. NCAA 2003

2. Madden 2003

3. NFL 2K3

The others don't even count because they all SUCK!

You are free to disagree with my opinions, but that would make you wrong.

consolegamer
08-21-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Marc
The best games are:

1. NCAA 2003

2. Madden 2003

3. NFL 2K3

The others don't even count because they all SUCK!

You are free to disagree with my opinions, but that would make you wrong.

That's a fair decison on your part. If I was on a jury, i'd settle for that decision!!!

KingAvi2k3
09-03-2002, 06:50 AM
In my books! Kids will pick Madden over NFL2k3. If you want an easy game where WR catch a pass with 5 DB's around him. The man game is NFL2k3, you need skill to play!

NFL2k3 is the BOMB!

CrazyCougar
09-03-2002, 07:49 AM
NFL 2k3 is the best football game ever made and is at the same level with Madden finally! But ya know what guys, this will only make Madden get better next year which is a good thing for us! madden is a good game to, especially with the compatibility with NCAA 2003. As for Fever, well thats all I'll mention is the name. It doesn't deserve any recognition. Sorry MS, try again.

As for the "Maddenisms", he's been saying the same lines in real life for the past 10 years so how can they change his commentary in the game...LOL! Madden's commentary rocks even though it may get repetitive and old. And welcome Al Michaels, although I am not a fan of his! That little cry baby! Madden will straighten his arse out.

Just my opinion of course.

robnyack
09-03-2002, 10:27 AM
the difference in the commentary between Madden and NFL2K3 is that in Madden it just never feels like they are really calling a game, nor does it ever feel that they are actually calling the game as a duo. It is more like two guys in two seperate rooms throwing in canned cliches.

In NFL2K3, while I don't care the the individual announcers all that much, I do have to tip my hat in them truly coming acorss as a TEAM calling a game. There is interaction between them, which really adds to the realism. Commentary goes, hands down, in NFL2K3's corner. Heck, audio overall, goes hands down in NFL2K3's corner. The crowds react so much better than in Madden.

While audio does not a make or break a game, if done correctly, it certainly can add to the gamer feeling like he is truly in the stadium. NFL2K3 definately bring you into the game better than Madden.

As for overall, I have switched to Madden the last week or so (I just had to get one of my NCAA 2003 draft classes into Madden!), and it is a very good game. There can be no question. I will say though, after being converted to NFL2K3 the graphica for Madden were alittle hard to get re-adjusted to. They look like bobble-head dolls :)

But, NFL2K3 did what many did not think they could do, make a game that rivals Madden. Not only did they do that, but most will say they made a game that was BETTER than Madden. It is EXACTLY what I had hoped for. Madden has needed a good swift kick in the arse for some time now. Us gamers can only win out in the end. Strong competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

petedogg39
09-03-2002, 12:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of American football but I do like EA's NCAA 2003. The create a school option is awesome. I like to make a cupcake school and pit them against the top schools. The graphics could have been better but the game still rocks.

robnyack
09-03-2002, 01:18 PM
I agree, EAs NCAA 2003 is a GREAT game.

The final official order of rankings among 2003 football games is as follows:

1) NFL2K3
2) NCAA 2003
3) Madden 2003
4) NCAA 2K3
5) NFL Fever 2003

case closed. ;)

ozz
09-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Man... after playing Fever for the Xbox Live beta for a week or so now, if anyone tells me that that's the "best" football game on the Xbox, I will lose all respect for that person. Fever is about as fun as 10 yard fight.

There are so many issues that make it anything but fun.

You want a good football game, stick with NCAA 2003, Madden 2003, or NFL2k3 (although it apparently still has horrible issues)...

robnyack
09-05-2002, 09:58 AM
what has horrible issues? NFL2K3? I have already pointed out in my previous post, after careful consideration of all football games offered, NFL2K3 is the best game of the year.

end of discussion.

ozz
09-05-2002, 12:01 PM
I have not played NFL2k3 yet, but there were a couple of issues in 2k2 that made it unplayable.

The first issue is that apparently some defenders are able to run a 40 yard dash in about 2.8 seconds. Just bring up Ray Lewis or a fast DB for a blitz and you should be able to sack the QB before he hits his 3rd step in his drop. Same thing on run plays... just blitz a fast guy, then hit dive... end of the running play...

Second, me and my brother got our timing down such that a pass is NEVER completed. All you do is hit the reciever right when the balls getting there. The reciever never holds onto the ball.

Whenever we play each other, the game always came down to one or two fluke-ish plays or a defensive TD.

It seems VC realized that NFL2k1 was imbalanced towards the offense so they tinkered with the game, but made it imbalanced towards the defense.

I used to be the biggest VC fan. I bought the DC on launch for NFL2k and loved playing NFL2k1 online with a 56k modem (ugh). However, these two issues totally zapped the fun out of NFL2k2 for me and I have read reviews where they mention this as still being a problem.

With that said... it's at least 20 times better than the crap that is known as NFL Fever...