PDA

View Full Version : WWF No Mercy...gotta love it

davidx
08-20-2002, 03:25 PM
People,
With all the hype surrounding WWE RAW2, I've begun to get worried. What if this title sucks..like part one?

I've been playing WWF NO MERCY all week. In my opinion it's the best wrestling game of all time. Will Raw2 match up? Probably not...

Besdies the budget music and graphics, No MERCY has it all. Blood, realistic reactions to moves (I gave Stone Cold 3 stunners and he didn't get up for like 2 minutes), being able to give your opponent HIS special move (an amazing feature), the way heads split open after being hit with a ring bell...oh I love it!

Furthermore, compared to RAW, No MERCY's create a wrestler mode blows it away. I'm still updating my roster (I made a wicked Brock Lesnar). Let's not forget the career mode...which also kicked ass.

Why is it so hard for those slackers at THQ to make a NO MERCY pt. 2? All I ask is to have RAW's graphcis with NO MERCY's features and game play.

Check this out: Pay Per View title match last night...The Rock versus Angle and Booker T. My custom made Booker T and Rock gave Angle a 3D which knocked him out. KNOCKED HIM OUT!!! He didn't get up, the match ended up in a draw. How cool is that? IF that happened in Xbox's RAW (even though there's no 3D), Angle would have just gotten up--not even phased.

Sorry for the ramble, but does anyone else feel the way I do? If so, we should let THQ (or whoever) know what's up. It's pretty sad to own an Xbox and be forced to play good wrasslin' on the old 64.

davidx

SlightlySycho
08-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Well, No Mercy had it's problems. Firstly, initial release carts had data loss and saving problems; that automatically earns it some disdain IMHO. Plus I didn't like all the Handicap matches in the challenge mode; they were just way too f**king cheap. I always thought that "opponents special maneuver" thing was a bug. Plus it had another problem with objects. Can't think of the word for it; when you held a weapon, when you held it away from the camera you could see it over your body, but when you held it toward the camera it acted like your body was covering it.

But, I will admit, No Mercy was the epoch of N64 wrestling, glitches and bugs considered. It was fun to play and it was even fun to watch. I had my own fantasy federation set up with my custom characters (which made the occassional data erases that much more fun:(). The latest games don't even come close to matching it; don't even come close to imitating it. It really does make one wonder why THQ doesn't let AKI handle all their WWF wrestling games. Of course, then again, that would make all the games suffer from a port-itis of sorts. But I have this deep, gnawing suspicion that Anchor just doesn't take the franchise seriously.

davidx
08-20-2002, 06:41 PM
So do you think, despite the addition of match-types etc, that RAW2 will be equally as weak as RAW?

Something needs to be done! Has anybody played LameCube's Wrestlemania X18? I've heard good and bad (many bad) things said about the gameplay.

X:cool:

SlightlySycho
08-20-2002, 08:35 PM
I have hopes that RAW 2 will be at least as good as the second WCW game on the N64 (can't remember what it's called; uses the same engine; the last game THQ made for WCW before the dumbasses decided to give their license to EA [that worked like gangbusters]). I think Anchor is going to take the sequel alot more seriously, especially considering the universal outrage and the absolute atrociousness of the first game. But there is a $#!+load of room for improvement.
To stress a point, I didn't mind the original's lack of matches. I was expecting a game as barebones as the original WCWvnWo. What got me in an uproar was the absolute unplayability of the original's engine (the matches weren't even fun to watch).

As for Wrestlmania X8, the only review I read said that there was no innovation, but I couldn't determine if they meant it was using the exact same engine as the N64 games. Of course, this was a GamePro review, and they have become such Sony whores in the past few years. I wouldn't put it past them to put down the GameCube's wrestling game in order to make Smackdown look better. However, the game footage from the commercials didn't really look a thing like the old games in terms of animation.

Xbox Owner
08-21-2002, 10:01 AM
No mercy is the best wrestling game ever made, period.

Side Effect
08-25-2002, 02:34 AM
I hope Anchor makes WWE Raw 2 somewhat like No Mercy except with a different type of season that'a longer. No Mercy was kind of weird at first, but after I started slamming wrestlers onto weapons and busting them open I got hooked, but I denied the fact that No Mercy was the best wrestling game to date, but after Just Bring It came out I played it and felt No Mercy just blew it away, but the bad thing about it was I had Ps2 and not N64 and I began to wish I still had my N64 that my mom pawned. I couldn't help it, but No Mercy was just awesome aside from all the glitches.

Jim Duge
08-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner
No mercy is the best wrestling game ever made, period.

Your damn right it is! Raw sucked. My bets are on Raw 2 suckin as well.

ice_141
08-28-2002, 08:57 PM
this game will not suck, mark my words. raw didnt suck, it just had issues. no mercy was a great game.

SlightlySycho
08-28-2002, 09:39 PM
Sure. RAW had issues the way Sybil had issues. Only RAW's issues were alot darker, deeper, and more debilitating.:rolleyes:

lllSmokelll
08-29-2002, 03:17 PM
WWF Raw is the best wrestling game for xbox :D

SlightlySycho
08-29-2002, 04:04 PM
I find that extraordinarilly debatable. Say what you want about Legends of Wrestling, at least it's playable.

GunstarGC
08-29-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Goldberg
WWF Raw is the best wrestling game for xbox :D
WWF Raw is the only WWF wrestling game for Xbox

Young_Fledgling
09-01-2002, 07:20 PM
i think raw will be good if they actually put some work into it... i mean i loved no mercy.... i remember playing that to death... BUT I HATED THAT GLITCH WHEN IT ERASED EVERYTHING!!! ARG!

LiL WeEzY
09-03-2002, 09:40 PM
No Mercy is no doubt tight!:cool:
I agree,the glitch with the erasing was messed up,but...(but),whether you wanna believe or not,it never erased on me.:) Im VERY lucky for that.;)

davidx
09-04-2002, 04:00 AM
Wow. I've never had NO MERCY freeze up on me.

Even funnier, I bought the game 2nd hand...along with a 2nd hand N64 and still no freeze/erasing of CAW's.

Cool. I'm still updating my roster. Brock has all the belts...who the hell's gonna beat HIM?

X

It thrills me to see that my No Mercy thread is still #1 in this section.

ice_141
09-04-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by davidx
Wow. I've never had NO MERCY freeze up on me.

Even funnier, I bought the game 2nd hand...along with a 2nd hand N64 and still no freeze/erasing of CAW's.

Cool. I'm still updating my roster. Brock has all the belts...who the hell's gonna beat HIM?

X

It thrills me to see that my No Mercy thread is still #1 in this section.

Brock will be beaten whenever they say so. All they have to see is people get sick of hi being invincible, then the losses will roll in.

To slightlysyco, if you were bashing my opinion of Raw being good, thats sad. Good for you, you dont like it. I don't like Legends of Wrestling either.

SlightlySycho
09-04-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by davidx
Cool. I'm still updating my roster. Brock has all the belts...who the hell's gonna beat HIM?I'm guessing 'Taker. They'll drag it out over the next couple months. HHH will lose at the next Pay Per View. Then Hogan will probably go up against him again. Then the Undertaker will get his shot.
It could also be Kane. He's been consistently popular, and wrestlers always get a popularity boost when they come back from being away for awhile. They could give him a title shot.

kachingtensor
09-14-2002, 05:18 AM
No Mercy had promise. However, the character graphics and especially the AI weren't as good as WM2K's. Also, the data loss glitch was terrible, and it even froze up on axe kicks on opponents coming out of the turnbuckle (...sheesh...:p). Too many glitches.

I hope THQ and Anchor take Raw 2 seriously, for their sakes and ours. I thought Raw 1 sucked because THQ had Anchor prioritize the PrideFC game for PS2 ... which - LOL - has now been delayed until who knows when?