PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Help

MensurB
08-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Ok, I contacted the xbox chat center, an he did not seem like he knew how to help me. Here's the chat

Thank you,
Microsoft Xbox Customer Care Team

Topic: Hi My dsl provider is bellsouth, and the modem that they supplied me with is an USB ADSL modem. It does not have an RJ-45 plug on it. I was wondering how I am supposed to connect my xbox to it once it goes "live"? A router will not do it becase it's USB, and I could not find any usb routers.
Eljay Hello and welcome to the Xbox Interactive Online Support. My name is Eljay.
MensurB hi
Eljay You'll have to find one that has an RJ-45 plug.
Eljay That's the only way to connect the XBox.
MensurB you mean a modem?
MensurB I don't think it will work, becase bellsouth uses different technology.
MensurB It uses a simple cat 5 cable that come out of the wall, not a rj-45.
Eljay To connect the XBox to the net, it needs to be connected to an RJ-45 cord. That's it. You'll have to talk to your internet provider company and ask them what you could use. They would have that info.
MensurB I did and they said no, I have to use this one
MensurB Can I plug the rj-45 to my NIC and then to the xbox, is that going to work, kind of like xbconnect.com if you're familiar with that.
Eljay You'll have to call our tech support about that. You can reach them at 1-800-4MY-XBOX (1-800-469-9269), and their hours of operation is from 9am to 1am EST. It's toll free for North America.
MensurB Are you sure they will be able to help me?
Eljay They're tech support. We're not. They should have more info about this.
MensurB Thank you very much!
Eljay It was a pleasure chatting with you today, for your convenience and future reference, you will receive by e-mail a detailed transcript of our chat, including all site links and services. Thank you for inquiring about Xbox. If you need further assistance, please come back and visit us again. I hope you have a nice day!

Maybe some of you know a sollution.

Snoopy7548
08-20-2002, 04:35 PM
if you can connect to xbconnect now, then just leave everything the way it is. cause if you can do that, then you can go on xbox live:D

LynxFX
08-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Just so you know, Cat 5 and RJ-45 are the same thing.

MensurB
08-20-2002, 04:57 PM
I jsut talked to the guy at the 1800 number, and he could not help me either. He said that there are USB router, not routers that plug into the USb, but routers that have a usb port instead of a rj-45. I researched it, I went to best buy circuitcity and comp usa, and something like that they did not have. I guess it's hopeless now.

MerimacHamwich
08-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Xbox Live Forum

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Just so you know, Cat 5 and RJ-45 are the same thing.

For added clarification... Cat 5 is a type of cable. It is a cable that contains 10 smaller shielded cables. These 10 cables are twisted together in "pairs" - 5 pairs to be exact. It's also referred to as 5 twisted pair. It can be used to transmit analog and digital signals (for example, it's used to transmit ethernet, DSL, ISDN, and standard analog phone service (although this last one is quite uncommon).

RJ-45 is the little plastic connector that goes onto the end of the Cat 5 cable. It looks just like the plug you use for a telephone but is a little wider. While technically, a different connector could be put onto a Cat 5 cable, I have never seen it done. As such, the industry does use these terms fairly interchangeably as if they referred to the same thing.

I think what he's getting at is that he has a cat-5 cable coming out of the wall with an RJ-45 plug on it, but it's DSL. You can't just plug this into the Xbox and expect it to work.

Linksys has a product that might work called the USB100TX. I doubt it, but it might. You should definitely call someone at Linksys and ask them if it will work before purchasing. Also, I do agree with the statement that if you're playing online now, your setup does not need to change to support Xbox Live.

The simplest setup is:

ISP->DSL->DSL Modem->Your Computer Via USB->Out through Ethernet card->Xbox

Note: In this setup, the cable connecting the computer's ethernet card and the Xbox is not a straight through ethernet cable but a cross-over ethernet cable. I can explain this further if need be.

USB100TX (http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=31&prid=126)

MensurB
08-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by MidniteArrow

I think what he's getting at is that he has a cat-5 cable coming out of the wall with an RJ-45 plug on it, but it's DSL. You can't just plug this into the Xbox and expect it to work.

Note: In this setup, the cable connecting the computer's ethernet card and the Xbox is not a straight through ethernet cable but a cross-over ethernet cable. I can explain this further if need be.

USB100TX (http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=31&prid=126)

Thank you very much for trying to help me, but the line comming from the wall is a regular phone cable, not a rj-45. It goes directly into my modem and then the modem into the usb port of the computer. It does not have an Rj-45 plug on it. I have tried many places, and there is only one but expencive solution so far, and would be to buy Draytek Vigor Router, which is the only usb modem router in america. It costs around 140 Dollars!

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 07:31 PM
That's odd - I'm not sure why you'd hook an RJ-11 (I'm semi-confident that's the name of the standard phone connector) to a Cat-5 cable. It doesn't support 10 pins. It supports 3 pair, but is usually only wired for 2 pair. But anyway - $140 is about par for the course for a decent router. But like we said - if your current setup is working for you, why change it? The internet router solution would add extra security, but if you're trying to reduce cost, why are you buying?

ScorpionX
08-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Ok, I have a USB ADSL modem and this is how I hooked it up to play online. I bought a very cheap HUB, and 2 Cat-5 cables, and a NIC. I installed the NIC into the computer, then I plugged a cat-5 cable from a port in the HUB to the NIC. After that I plugged another cat-5 cable from the Xbox to the HUB. Thats how I got mine up.

MensurB
08-20-2002, 07:36 PM
That's odd - I'm not sure why you'd hook an RJ-11 (I'm semi-confident that's the name of the standard phone connector) to a Cat-5 cable. It doesn't support 10 pins. It supports 3 pair, but is usually only wired for 2 pair. But anyway - $140 is about par for the course for a decent router. But like we said - if your current setup is working for you, why change it? The internet router solution would add extra security, but if you're trying to reduce cost, why are you buying?

The modem is called Alcatel Speed Touch USB, and it does not use any Rj-45 cables whatsoever, the only cable it uses is the one comming out of the wall, which is just a regular phone cable.
Wall------->Modem------>USB port of computer.
If you would like to look at the modem than you would have to go to Alcatel.com under products. And also, Bellsouth will not let me get a different modem, b/c of the one year contract.

ScorpionX
08-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MensurB

The modem is called Alcatel Speed Touch USB, and it does not use any Rj-45 cables whatsoever, the only cable it uses is the one comming out of the wall, which is just a regular phone cable.
If you would like to look at the modem than you would have to go to Alcatel.com under products. And also, Bellsouth will not let me get a different modem, b/c of the one year contract.

I have the exact same modem and I hooked it up, read above.

MensurB
08-20-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion}{
Ok, I have a USB ADSL modem and this is how I hooked it up to play online. I bought a very cheap HUB, and 2 Cat-5 cables, and a NIC. I installed the NIC into the computer, then I plugged a cat-5 cable from a port in the HUB to the NIC. After that I plugged another cat-5 cable from the Xbox to the HUB. Thats how I got mine up.

That sounds like it could work, however, I have windows 98(first edition) and the guy told me that it does not have some kind of programm, and that I can't do that. xbconnect.com tells the computer to send the signal through the nic, xbox live will not have any software for the computer to install.

bwn82k
08-20-2002, 07:46 PM
For those with USB Broadband (or the people that do not currently network PC's) please refer to this post I made a few minutes ago. It is by far the cheapest and easiet to configure:

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20426

P.S- I mentioned in that post to install a 2nd NIC. If you have DSL/Cable through USB then you probably don't have an ethernet card at all (why else would you be using USB???). In that case. Install a NIC and run it to your Xbox. I read here that someone here installed a NIC just to run it to the hub, which in turn runs to the xbox. You didn't need to buy that HUB....

ScorpionX
08-20-2002, 07:49 PM

That sounds like it could work, however, I have windows 98(first edition) and the guy told me that it does not have some kind of programm, and that I can't do that. xbconnect.com tells the computer to send the signal through the nic, xbox live will not have any software for the computer to install.

I have Win 98 and it works with XBC perfectly, I am starting to believe that the people at 18004MYXBOX have no clue what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I understand fully what you are saying. I was just saying that it is odd to have a Cat-5 cable with an RJ-11 port on the end of it. Fully functional, just odd.

I don't think you'll need to change your setup. Again, here's my recommendation to save money:

Wall-----Cat5-----RJ-11->Modem------USB----->Computer-RJ-45-----
----Cat5 Crossover Ethernet------RJ-45->Xbox

When Xbox live comes out, you'll just set it up to use your main computer as an internet gateway. I'm 99% sure this will be possible. You may want to wait until release just to be 100% sure, but I'd personally feel confident enough to go ahead and set this up (but I'm thinking this is how you already have it set up). The Hub is not needed for this. It adds 1 piece of hardware and an extra cable that are not needed. It's benefit would be if you had 3 or more devices that you needed to network.

As for someone telling you that you had some software to install, I have no clue what they are talking about. You'd just be using your computer as an internet gateway, which should not be a problem. It is a very, very standard network setup. If it is a problem, an OS upgrade would surely fix the problem - and probably many others that you have or will soon have. I'd suggest going to Windows XP home if this happens (assuming your computer is buff enough to handle it).

MensurB
08-20-2002, 07:54 PM

Wall-----Cat5-----RJ-11->Modem------USB----->Computer-RJ-45-----
----Cat5 Crossover Ethernet------RJ-45->Xbox

I am not sure I understood this, Wall-----Cat5-----RJ-11?
Theres only one cable going out of the wall, and that's a regular phone cable. It plugs into the modem. The modem has a "line" attaced to it which goes into the usb port of the computer.

MensurB
08-20-2002, 07:56 PM
If you go to this site you will see how my modem looks like, and they have the only router on that site that wold work, but it is too expansive.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2200usb.html

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 08:01 PM
Ok, The line from the wall plugs into the modem. The USB line out of the modem plugs into the computer. You then put an Ethernet 10/100 card in your computer. You then use an ethernet crossover cable (not a standard ethernet cable - must be crossover) to connect the ethernet card on your computer to your Xbox.

Sorry for the confusing diagrams. I was just saying that I understood that the line coming from the wall was a Cat-5 line (as you said) with an RJ-11 (standard phone jack) on the end of it.

Zion
08-20-2002, 08:07 PM

I am not sure I understood this, Wall-----Cat5-----RJ-11?
Theres only one cable going out of the wall, and that's a regular phone cable. It plugs into the modem. The modem has a "line" attaced to it which goes into the usb port of the computer.

Yes. The phone cable is RJ11.

bwn82k
08-20-2002, 08:09 PM

Just to clarify. Your Xbox will only need a TCP/IP connection. The MS game server will do the rest. When you use XB Live, your console is communicating to the MS server and the MS server only.

When playing system link. You have to communicate with up to 4 other consoles. XBConnect is needed to create a gateway with the other players. System Link play was never originally designed to be played over the internet. But where there's a will, there's a way.

You'll notice that even if you are not using XBConnect your Xbox is still connected to the internet.

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bwn82k
You'll notice that even if you are not using XBConnect your Xbox is still connected to the internet.

Well - it will be. Right now, there is no ability to configure the Xbox to get an internet connection. For it to talk on the global network, you would need to set it up to use your computer as a gateway. This will likely be available when Xbox Live! is available. It currently has an Ethernet connection to the main computer and that's all. XBConnect tricks the Xbox to think it is connected to another XBox. It also uses TCP/IP to talk to other instances of XBConnect that are tricking their XBox connections into thinking they are connected to the XBoxes. Think of XBconnect as a glorified HUB that uses TCP/IP to transmit data between ports instead of a direct physical connection. (bwn82k - you seemed to understand this, I just thought others may like more detail - I'm not trying to correct you)

MensurB
08-20-2002, 09:15 PM

Well - it will be. Right now, there is no ability to configure the Xbox to get an internet connection. For it to talk on the global network, you would need to set it up to use your computer as a gateway. This will likely be available when Xbox Live! is available. It currently has an Ethernet connection to the main computer and that's all. XBConnect tricks the Xbox to think it is connected to another XBox. It also uses TCP/IP to talk to other instances of XBConnect that are tricking their XBox connections into thinking they are connected to the XBoxes. Think of XBconnect as a glorified HUB that uses TCP/IP to transmit data between ports instead of a direct physical connection. (bwn82k - you seemed to understand this, I just thought others may like more detail - I'm not trying to correct you)
That's pretty much what i was thinking, I hope that ms makes some kind of software for the computer so that i can hook my xbox simply to my nic just like with xbconnect. I don't want to spend $140 on the router and then $50 for xbox live.

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 09:26 PM

That's pretty much what i was thinking, I hope that ms makes some kind of software for the computer so that i can hook my xbox simply to my nic just like with xbconnect. I don't want to spend $140 on the router and then $50 for xbox live.

Xbox Live! will make it all work great. I wouldn't worry about it. Just hook the Xbox to an NIC in your computer (make sure you use crossover), and the modem to your computer via USB. The XBox Live! software for the Xbox should do the rest.

MensurB
08-20-2002, 09:43 PM

Xbox Live! will make it all work great. I wouldn't worry about it. Just hook the Xbox to an NIC in your computer (make sure you use crossover), and the modem to your computer via USB. The XBox Live! software for the Xbox should do the rest.

You make me feel better:) , however, I really hope you're right. I do believe that if they want to make it work the way you're saying, then they will have to make some sofware for the computer.

Thanks':)

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 09:54 PM

You make me feel better:) , however, I really hope you're right. I do believe that if they want to make it work the way you're saying, then they will have to make some sofware for the computer.

Thanks':)

That's true from a certain point of view. Software is needed on the computer to make this work. But it should already be there. The Winsock software (built into the operating system) should handle this. This software is very basic level networking software that I'm fairly sure is built into all Windows 9x kernels. I can't attest to it being in 98 rel 1, but it probably is. If not, like I said before, an OS upgrade would get it for you and you probably need to do that soon anyway. Your OS is out of date and will be unsupported by Microsoft soon (which means new software will not be compatible). They've already announced that they are no longer supporting Windows 95 based Operating Systems (I saw that last night while browsing around microsoft.com looking for info on DirectX 9).

MensurB
08-20-2002, 10:10 PM
so i need to buy windows xp?or 2000 or something

MidniteArrow
08-20-2002, 11:58 PM
so i need to buy windows xp?or 2000 or something

I would only do this if one of the following is true:

A: You have tried XBox Live! and it doesn't work for network reasons.
B: You have other reasons to upgrade and you have the money.

At this point, there is no indication that you need to upgrade to use XBox Live!. If you do upgrade, I suggest upgrading to Windows XP Home Edition. When upgrading, it's best to go all the way and this is the newest home operating system that Microsoft has released (It's better to pay $80 once than $50 twice).

CRAIG123
08-21-2002, 06:15 AM
Sorry for interupting , But how do i install a NIC into my computer?

MidniteArrow
08-21-2002, 06:35 AM
Basic:

Buy NIC.
Unplug computer.
Open Case.
Decide which slot to plug NIC into.
Remove metal plate on back of case where NIC will go.
Plug NIC into slot.
Screw NIC into slot.
Plug in computer.
Boot up computer.
Install drivers (provided with card).
IF everything works: Close case.

CRAIG123
08-21-2002, 08:08 AM
Basic:

Buy NIC.
Unplug computer.
Open Case.
Decide which slot to plug NIC into.
Remove metal plate on back of case where NIC will go.
Plug NIC into slot.
Screw NIC into slot.
Plug in computer.
Boot up computer.
Install drivers (provided with card).
IF everything works: Close case.

Thanks for the help ;)

MensurB
08-21-2002, 09:38 AM
I think that I have found the sollution to my problem. Simply plug the crossover cabel into my unused NIC and xbox, after that Enable internet Connection sharing for the usb modem, and set the computer to obtain Ip configuration via Dynamic allocation, which I don't know how to do.

CyberBOMB
08-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Just to clarify all this techno mumbo jumbo these experts are saying and ill give it to you plain and simple.

all that crap you have to make your internet is working fine. Its just USB. It looks wierd but it will work like magic. Just install a NIC (Network Interface Card aka Ethernet Card) which is like $15 onto your computer. Then use a RJ45 cord to connect your computer to your XBox ($10). Now, when the xbox requests/sends information via internet it will go through your computer then through your modem down your "regular" telephone line and straight on to victory.

Im thinking you got confused when you saw the regular looking line connected to your dsl modem. Well technically everyone else has the same thing. I mean the dsl signal was sent via the regular looking line inside the walls of their house. The only difference there was that the telephone company was nice enough to install a wall jack that had the RJ 45 plug in it.
You on the other hand had a regular line but the modem that they gave you separated the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) and the DSL signal and only sent the DSL signal to your computer.

Elementary my dear Watson

MensurB
08-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by CyberBOMB
Just to clarify all this techno mumbo jumbo these experts are saying and ill give it to you plain and simple.

all that crap you have to make your internet is working fine. Its just USB. It looks wierd but it will work like magic. Just install a NIC (Network Interface Card aka Ethernet Card) which is like $15 onto your computer. Then use a RJ45 cord to connect your computer to your XBox ($10). Now, when the xbox requests/sends information via internet it will go through your computer then through your modem down your "regular" telephone line and straight on to victory.

Im thinking you got confused when you saw the regular looking line connected to your dsl modem. Well technically everyone else has the same thing. I mean the dsl signal was sent via the regular looking line inside the walls of their house. The only difference there was that the telephone company was nice enough to install a wall jack that had the RJ 45 plug in it.
You on the other hand had a regular line but the modem that they gave you separated the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) and the DSL signal and only sent the DSL signal to your computer.

Elementary my dear Watson

I would like to thank all of you for helping me with my problem. I think now I know that I will be able to play xbox live once it goes live!

Once again thatnk you