PDA

View Full Version : All Sega's XBox Titles will use DD 5.1

faceoff508
08-21-2002, 09:26 AM
Looking for some Dolby Digital 5.1 goodness? Well, Sega delivers once again. Audio bliss is the name of the game. Why settle for less?
This holiday season, Dolby® Digital 5.1 will be the audio standard in all of SEGA® of America Inc.'s new line-up of titles for the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft®, including ToeJam & Earl™ III: Mission to Earth, Panzer Dragoon™ ORTA, Crazy Taxi™ 3: High Roller, The House of the Dead™ III and SEGA GT™ 2002.

"The ultimate holiday gift list for gamers this year will include all the latest SEGA titles, an Xbox, and a home theater system with Dolby technology to maximize the audio for their new SEGA games," said Jack Buser, manager of game developer relations at Dolby. "Everyone should play these games in Dolby Digital 5.1 for the full experience."

SEGA's Panzer Dragoon ORTA delivers a rich, cinematic experience that is equal parts action game and Hollywood blockbuster, featuring heart-pounding action, strategic aerial combat and massive breathtaking environments. Because the battles occur in the air, enemies can attack players from a full 360-degree field. With Dolby Digital, the player's experience is made more realistic as the enemies' sounds come from nearly every direction. These audio cues increase accuracy and realism during game play.

"Dolby Digital will give players information that cannot be visually described on-screen," said Akihiko Mukaiyama, director of Panzer Dragoon ORTA. "With the control system in Panzer Dragoon ORTA, players can look freely to the front, back, left and right while they are flying, allowing them to anticipate key plot points or enemies approaching from different directions, which makes game play experience that much more immersive."

Gamers should connect their Xbox to a home theater system using Microsoft's Advanced AV Pack or High Definition AV Pack. Either Pack allows Xbox to connect to the digital input of a home theater system to provide 5.1 channels of Dolby Digital surround sound during game play.

http://www.xboxgaming.com/index.php?page=news&full=yes&id=76

Sounds good to me:D

Jarvis
08-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508

http://www.xboxgaming.com/index.php?page=news&full=yes&id=76

Sounds good to me:D

fo sho! everyone should have 5.1 by now !

-jarvis

Knight
08-21-2002, 12:30 PM
What 5.1 Set do you have??

clutch
08-21-2002, 12:36 PM
I have a Yamaha TSS-1 Home theater sound system, its a small system but it get the job done.:cool:

Jarvis
08-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Knight
What 5.1 Set do you have??

my setup:

Sony STR-de 545 receiver
25 disk pioneer cd player
Yamaha 3 piece set (center, 2 rears)
Cerwin-Vega LS-12 speakers for my mains
JBL N-26 speaks for secondary mains
Monster Cable 10 AWG speaker cables
Accoustic Research optical cables

works pretty nice with the ol' xbox games :)

-jarvis

Knight
08-21-2002, 12:57 PM
I got a Onkyo GXW-5.1 it has DD5.1 & DTS!!

Jarvis
08-21-2002, 12:59 PM
I hate my Sony receiver, not happy with it at all. For my next one I'm gonna probably spend about 800 bucks USD and get a really good mid range receiver. Thinking about a Yamaha, a Denon or a H/K.

-jarvis

Knight
08-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Jarvis
I hate my Sony receiver, not happy with it at all. For my next one I'm gonna probably spend about 800 bucks USD and get a really good mid range receiver. Thinking about a Yamaha, a Denon or a H/K.

-jarvis

Go with Yamaha, if I was looking to spend $500 on a set when I got my set I would have gottin a Yamaha, But I spend $190 when I got the one I'm using and I'm happy with it!! It's a great Bedroom set, it's not made for big rooms!! Buy a RX-V2200 or RX-V1200 they support 6.1!!

LynxFX
08-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Very cool to hear!! no pun intended. :)

Now if only we could get the studios to do every game in widescreen.

Sound System:
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-850s DTS-ES
Mains: Klipsch RP-3 (biwired)
Center: Klipsch RF-3II (biwired)
Surrounds: Wharfedale Valdus 300's
Rear Center: Mission C1

Zion
08-21-2002, 02:14 PM

-jarvis

Go with an Onkyo. Their new stuff is absolutely killer.

Jarvis
08-21-2002, 02:36 PM
No onkyo stuff up where i live in ontario. i know yamaha, denon and h/k have some great stuff, so doesn't really matter, i'm gonna have a nice receiver. i'll probably test out a few.

-jarvis

pounder
08-21-2002, 03:10 PM

my setup:

Sony STR-de 545 receiver
25 disk pioneer cd player
Yamaha 3 piece set (center, 2 rears)
Cerwin-Vega LS-12 speakers for my mains
JBL N-26 speaks for secondary mains
Monster Cable 10 AWG speaker cables
Accoustic Research optical cables

works pretty nice with the ol' xbox games :)

-jarvis

nice mains :cool: thats the set I use..I run all CV speakers
LS 10's - mains
LS 6's - Rears
LS 6C - Centre
CVT-200a - sub

all run off a JVC rx-8010 vbk receiver and a 5 disk changer..all conected optically

sounds great

DBXNY
08-21-2002, 10:50 PM
I don't understand the pointing out of Sega and 5.1 surround. I mean, out of all the games I've owned/own on the xbox, I haven't gotten a single game that didn't support 5.1 Surround. I'd be more excited about all games supporting widescreen.

LynxFX
08-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Halo for one doesn't do 5.1, it is 4.1 with literally zero coming from the center channel. There are plenty of other games that don't support DD 5.1. Even some games that say "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Surround" on the back doesn't mean they are 5.1. You can still have a Dolby 2.0 track and call it Dolby Digital.

But like I totally agree with you, like I said below, more widescreen.

DBXNY
08-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Halo for one doesn't do 5.1, it is 4.1 with literally zero coming from the center channel. There are plenty of other games that don't support DD 5.1. Even some games that say "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Surround" on the back doesn't mean they are 5.1. You can still have a Dolby 2.0 track and call it Dolby Digital.

But like I totally agree with you, like I said below, more widescreen.

Actually, you're right. Halo isn't 5.1. What happens is that I have a Denon 3801 receiver setup to turn on ES Matrix processing with any signal that is "compatible", regardless of whether the DTS-ES or DD-EX flag is present or not. It has always turned on with 5.0 and up material, but now I know it turns on with 4.1 material as well. When I put in Halo, the amp says 6.1 Surround Sound. I get sound out of every channel, including the back surrounds, but nothing out of the center channel. It's still very good 4.1 Surround though. So, I guess I have to take back my previous post. Thanks Lynxfx.:)

LynxFX
08-23-2002, 12:49 AM
hehe, just thought I would throw that out there DBXNY. :)

Halo does sound great none-the-less.

I also turn on ES matrixing no matter what the signal is so that my center rear is utilized. It usually creates an awesome sound field from any 5.1 sound sent to it.

Probably would be futile to request that Sega incorporate 6.1 and 7.1 sound eh? :D