PDA

View Full Version : Just played Halo demo!

mojo__31
11-05-2001, 01:24 PM
I went to Funcoland on lunch, and they finally got an Xbox in, to bad the guy at the counter was such a dink and PS2 fanatic he barely could get out anything positive about it, lol. He tried cutting down everything. As for Halo, it doesn't look as pretty as I hoped, but it is still prettier in graphics than anything else I have seen, so I guess thats OK, it just didn't jump out at me like I figured the graphics would. Anyway, the gameplay is cool, but playing a FPS like this on a controller is difficult to adjust to, the controls will take some time to get good at, I think I will need to custimize them some when I get mine setup. They also had several other titles in stock now as well, but none that I had reserved.

CharlesDD2
11-05-2001, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mojo__31
I went to Funcoland on lunch, and they finally got an Xbox in, to bad the guy at the counter was such a dink and PS2 fanatic he barely could get out anything positive about it, lol. He tried cutting down everything. As for Halo, it doesn't look as pretty as I hoped, but it is still prettier in graphics than anything else I have seen, so I guess thats OK, it just didn't jump out at me like I figured the graphics would. Anyway, the gameplay is cool, but playing a FPS like this on a controller is difficult to adjust to, the controls will take some time to get good at, I think I will need to custimize them some when I get mine setup. They also had several other titles in stock now as well, but none that I had reserved.

haha, that's funny being the guy at Funcoland here's a complete PS2 fanboy and hates, I mean HATES X-Box. He tried convincing me it would be in my better interests if I bought a PS2....pfft

scarecrow kfj
11-05-2001, 02:33 PM
Do they get paid by commision? I know Sony pays good commesion. Plus they prob all have P2 and cant afford a xbox ( due to the lack of wages ) so dosnt want anyone to have better than them.

mojo__31
11-05-2001, 02:42 PM
He totally lost any respect I may have had for his comments when he told me NFL Fever totally sucks, and to get Madden, and that Madden has better graphics and way better game play. The guy was like totally biased beyond reason.

Phiresun
11-05-2001, 02:53 PM
I wonder if these stores know or care how certain employees are driving away customers. Everystore I have visted so far have XBOX Kiosk right in front for all to see. PS2 and GC are in the back many times I saw them powered down. Everyone who sees the XBOX in action is in total awe, at least those I have seen. It is a shame these employees try their best to make people believe they are not seeing what they are, and thats pure power and fun. XBOX will be big, no pun intented.;)

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 03:41 PM
Yesterday, I went to Toys R' Us and there was a huge crowd around the XBox Kiosk...and no one was around the PS2 or the GameCube (except there was one lonely fat little kid playing the GameCube trying to shine his flashlight around playing Luigi's Mansion).

I mean, people were amazed! I was playing NFL Fever 2002 and everyone was talking about how the graphics were so intense, the fluid and naturual movements of the players, also, how bad ass the some of the hard hitting tackles were...I mean, it was so amazing I almost shed a tear! :D :D :D

-Max

CharlesDD2
11-05-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Yesterday, I went to Toys R' Us and there was a huge crowd around the XBox Kiosk...and no one was around the PS2 or the GameCube (except there was one lonely fat little kid playing the GameCube trying to shine his flashlight around playing Luigi's Mansion).

-Max

hahahahahaha, sorry I can't help but find that "lonely fat little kid" remark to be hilarious

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 05:00 PM
lol, Charles...I think the kid just wanted to play...I was very close in making a sign and taping it on the kid's back so it read "KICK ME" on it! lol :D

CharlesDD2
11-05-2001, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
lol, Charles...I think the kid just wanted to play...I was very close in making a sign and taping it on the kid's back so it read "KICK ME" on it! lol :D

better yet "kick me I'm playing gamecube"

Phiresun
11-05-2001, 05:49 PM
I just came back from Babbages. Halo is going to be my game to beat. I played it up to the level where you get the rover. It is going to take some major skill mastering that vehicle. The strategy and the pure fun of just plucking off aliens , it was... too much!

I am very new to FPS, but this is the game that will make me a loyal fan. Just think this is only the first installment, even better is yet to come. Between Fever and Halo I am set for the holidays. I got Oddworld and DOA to relax to when I am tired.

As long as they rotate Fever and Halo back and forth, this store will sell XBOX effortlessly.:D

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 01:46 PM
There was this fat barney looking dude working at Toys R' Us saying that the GameCube will be better as I was drooling while playing NFL Fever 2002. I just told him...."That's great for you...but, I've already made up my mind. I have been waiting for this system for about 1 1/2 years". He just smirked and said "Well, ooooooo k...but it's only going to be $199 compared to $299 for the XBox".

I couldn't do anything but laugh...I just said in response: "There are no price tags for true gamers". He just walked off :D

-Max

FOX-HOUND
11-06-2001, 01:54 PM
Halo was undoubtedly the most popular game at XBox Unleashed in NYC (with Dead or Alive 3 in close second). Unfortunately, due to its Mature rating, it was removed from the competition area, but the crowd around the Halo kiosks in the free play arena was packed. Personally, I found the graphics to be nearly flawless. The game itself also provides the player with an immersive sense of scale... Halo is definitely the first game I'll be purchasing for my brand spankin' new XBox.

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 01:56 PM
FoxHound...I would like to be the first to welcome you to the asylum...prepare for some great times! This site is great! Tons of information, news, game previews, etc...It's great! And, no, I don't work here...lol

I agree with you...Halo is definately a first purchase. I'm adding NFL Fever, Amped, and Project Gotham Racing with it, too :D

Slider1981
11-06-2001, 01:59 PM
You have to remember funcoland has bad tv's, i played fever at funco, it looked bad on their t.v.'s, but i went to Toys-r-us, and they had it on a newer tv, and it look perfect. So remember to not judge on some generic tv.

mattcoxonline
11-06-2001, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by mojo__31
the guy at the counter was such a dink and PS2 fanatic he barely could get out anything positive about it, lol. He tried cutting down everything.

Well go in again and when he's finished saying its s**t, you say

"well if its that s**t you wouldn't mind selling it to me for $100 then!!"

It might not work but its worth a try.....

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 02:03 PM
Did you notice that while you were at Toys R' Us that the TVs had "Microsoft" on them? lol...I wonder if they made the TV or just stuck their name over the top of the original manufacturer...lol...Either way, SWEET!!!

Select50
11-06-2001, 04:32 PM
my Halo experience... gamespot @ the mall during a field trip.. a kid was in mid-game when i came upon the prized machine.. my first impression.. BOND!! ahh.. i hate to admit it.. but i was inside and it looked EXACTLY like bond for 64.. i almost started to cry.. but as i got in the game and started shooting.. and reached the outside... what can i say.. perfection... if you have an x-box but no halo your missing out big time

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 04:41 PM
Yeah, Halo is definately going to be Microsoft's flagship game...but, it's only one of many awesome games at launch! XBox is simply amazing! I'm about ready to crack a cold one open...

SquirrelJam
11-07-2001, 10:02 AM
I just played HALO at FuncoLand. I got through the entire first level and half way through the next. I loved it and it's everything they said it was execpt for one thing.

I felt like I was "walking" through the whole thing. This was very frustrating. I checked, over and over, the controller lay-out, the game options, the manual, nothing could improve the speed of my movement. I couldn't keep up with the running marines. What's up????

I hope this is not what will happen in the retail version, which I bought, just before I left the store. This is a bitter-sweet experience.

Has anybody else, whose played this title, experienced this "walking" feeling?

LAME. God, I hope this is not for real. :( I want HALO to be sooo good, sooo bad...

mojo__31
11-07-2001, 10:34 AM
I felt the same way, it felt slow running. However, I didn't check the options. One thing though is the marine is in battle gear armor, and that would make them slower in real as well, just a thought.

SquirrelJam
11-07-2001, 10:55 AM
Mojo_31:

I hope you weren't suggesting that because the Marine MasterChief, is burdoned by armor and is therefore, slow moving.

MaterChief is supposed to be this highly-evolved, highly-tuned, cybernetic super-soldier that's skilled above all the rest. Why on earth would the main character be a slow moving turtle? Again, he's supposed to be "The Best" ever created, I should surely have the ability to keep-up with a human grunt with little skill.

The game play action is touted by Bungie that it'll be fast and fierce. If anything, it's overwhelming because, you're unable to move with any efficiency.

Lame!! Is anybody aware of this huge incredible flaw in HALO? Ignoring it won't go away. Please respond with your experiences. I've already written Bungie, asking for an explanation. I'll post here, if and when I get a response.

Please post 'your' experiences.

Thanks

mojo__31
11-07-2001, 11:00 AM
In action when fighting, its anything but slow action, it is fierce fighting, and hella-lotta-fun. Its just when you are moving straight away, that the feeling of running isn't quite there, its more of a jog or march speed. Agtain though, not sure if there is a control for it, or options on game startup myself as I didn't explore the issue. It hardly detracts from the game, just an impression that it doesn't feel like you are running really. But then again, whats the all powerful Master Chief need to run from, he's call cool and collected and kicks some major ass, lol! If you checked out all the options and controls though, maybe thats just the way it is.

Sachile_
11-07-2001, 11:01 AM
Ohh woe is me! Did you read my location ( <== ) its not a joke I live in a backwater little town on a island half the size of Tasmania. The only way ill get to play xbox before the 15th is to fly to some big city on the main land. Ugh dam PEI, :(

SquirrelJam
11-07-2001, 11:13 AM
Sorry Mojo, no disrespect intended. I love HALO, don't get me wrong, I bought it, for crying out loud. But your point about "what's he got to run from?", is not the point at all.

When I was on the "HALO" ring and traversing the landscape, with the Convenent attacking around me, I'd shoot them they hid behind rocks and trees while their energy shields would re-charge. Since I can't run, they moved like a squirrel does when it's on a tree and you're near by. Ever notice this? A squirrel will always stay on the opposite of the tree from an enemy. If you try to move around, you'll the see the squirrel move out of sight away from you.

Anyway, these guys move like that and I could never catch up to them. Another thing; while I'm trying to traverse the huge landscape, I'm "walking". I'm not running from anyone, I can't run, remember. I'm trying to get to the other marines but I'm stuck walking up to them.

Sorry but unless you've actually spent some measurable time playing through the levels, I suggest you stop defending something you have so little experience with. No offense but I want to hear from HALO playing experienced dudes.

Thanks

scarecrow kfj
11-07-2001, 11:35 AM
Here to give you a peak of the spartans....

They were taken as children cause of skills that set them out from the rest of the kids... they were taken and trained to stop a civil war. There were orginaly 75 couple didnt make it through training. Than they spliced genes and added things to there bodies to make them grow bigger and faster. About 30 didnt make it and twelve did but with side effects. In there armore it inhances there movements faster and stronger, making things around them seem to move slower and lighter. If you want more get the book I did and so far it is really good.

SquirrelJam
11-07-2001, 11:40 AM
Too bad, the SpartanII MasterChief doesn't live up to the abilities in the game as he does in the book.

mojo__31
11-07-2001, 11:48 AM
Squirrel, you got anger issues, lol. I was being sarcastic about why he was slow moving, grab some humor.

mojo__31
11-07-2001, 01:14 PM
I just came back from Funcoland over lunch, and played Halo again for a bit. The level I played was indoors this time, and the speed of the character seemed faster indoors, as there is less distance to travel between corners and rooms probably.

SquirrelJam
11-07-2001, 03:41 PM
HALO is my main reason for getting XBOX. Despite my b!tching, I still bought it the game. I just want HALO to be everything that it could be.

I've been waiting for 4 years. Originally, it was destined for my Mac. Anyways, I realize that, what I played was a "demo" disc and I need to play the real-deal before I can conclude anything. I'm not mad at anyone here, just a little let-down by my in-store experience and I needed to vent.

(sigh)

l Maximus l
11-07-2001, 03:43 PM
Squirrel...have a beer! That's what I do :D

SquirrelJam
11-07-2001, 03:58 PM
Maximus wrote:

Squirrel...have a beer! That's what I do
http://www.jackdaniels.com/splash_images/bottle.gif
I'm WAAAYYY ahead of you, dude. ;)