PDA

View Full Version : Namco Ships Dead to Rights

xboxtito
08-22-2002, 09:02 AM
The hottest young celebrities from film, music and television gathered in Los Angeles last night to celebrate the U.S. release of Namco Hometek Inc.'s highly anticipated "Dead to Rights(TM)" exclusively for the Xbox(TM) video game system from Microsoft. "Dead to Rights" combines Hong Kong action-movie special effects with the intense drama of crime thrillers and classic film noir style to create a new "Action Noir" game genre.

Introducing new video game star Jack Slate, "Dead To Rights" takes place in Grant City, USA -- the hardest place on Earth. Slate is a good cop in a bad town, forced to be a fugitive after being framed for murder while investigating the mysterious death of his father.

Guests experienced the seedy underbelly of Grant City nightlife, brought to life in a deserted art deco office building on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles for one night only. Celebrity DJ Shannyn Sossoman ("40 Days and 40 Nights," "A Knight's Tale") rocked the house to a packed dance floor all night long, as a colorful cast of characters inspired by the dark world of "Dead To Rights" lurked in the shadows.

Celebrities in attendance (joining the Grant City smugglers, femme fatales, dirty cops, assassins and corrupt politicians), included: Justin Timberlake, Vin Diesel, Cris Judd, Heath Ledger, Wes Bentley, Alyssa Milano, Paris Hilton, Eric Balfour, Simon Rex, and Danny Masterson, among others.

"The amazing turn out last night from young Hollywood's `A' list is proof positive that adults want video game entertainment that offers more mature content, characters and storylines, as seen in 'Dead To Rights,'" said Stacey Hirata, Marketing Director for Namco Hometek. "Video games aren't just for kids anymore."

According to the Interactive Digital Software Association, about 145 million people in the U.S. play computer and video games, and the average age of a game player is 28 years old. Video games have become one of the most popular forms of entertainment. In fact, market research firm NPD, reported that in 2001, total U.S. sales of games and game related hardware reached $9.4 billion, compared to total domestic box office receipts for Hollywood movies of $8.4 billion.

Namco approached making the game much like producing a movie, first enlisting screenwriter Flint Dille ("G.I. Joe" television show and "Transformers" television show and movie) to develop the plot and deliver the working script. For music, they recruited movie composer Kevin Manthei, whose credits include "Resident Evil" and "Scary Movie 2." For realistic sound effects and design, GDH Digital ("Star Trek," "Babylon 5") and Weddington Productions ("Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Robocop") were brought in. Smashcut ("The Matrix," "Fight Club") was hired for motion capture effects and stunts.

"Dead To Rights" has been in development for over two years, with a production team of more than 50 artists, designers and programmers. This team, constituting Namco's biggest U.S.-developed project to date, is passionate about proving that movie-quality action, a compelling storyline and an appealing hero can be made interactive in a mature video game.

"We wanted to create a video game like no other, infusing elements from our favorite movies and allowing players to make discoveries each time they play," said Andre Emerson, Namco senior producer. "`Dead To Rights' was designed with great depth and detail, and the result is an intense and adult experience that can't really be described within existing game genres."

"Dead To Rights" features more than a dozen game mechanics including diving, rolling, punching, kicking and lethally disarming enemies in a variety of cinematic ways. Jack's canine partner (a Husky named Shadow) lives up to the name "man's best friend," helping Jack investigate crime scenes, sniff out bombs, retrieve weapons and attack enemies. Unique game play scenarios, mini-games and stop-motion special effects add to the action.

"Dead To Rights," rated "M for Mature Audiences," shipped out to stores across the U.S. on Aug. 20 and is now available on Xbox.

Chr0nik
08-22-2002, 09:03 AM
Dude, you are a few days late....:)

Toonz
08-22-2002, 09:30 AM
not sure why you guys got it early but the official release date was the 20th putting it in stores 21st or 22nd and Official press release seemd to be yesterday according to many sites so I don't see how he's late.

JJaX
08-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Yes i already have the game, it kicks ass.......

Look for my thread in General Disc.....

Spaztic
08-22-2002, 09:38 AM
I have the game as well....It kicks major ass! It is kinda hard though, but that is good since it will last longer....I heard the game has over 12 chapters! Chapter 3 seems to take forever to get though!

JJaX
08-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
I have the game as well....It kicks major ass! It is kinda hard though, but that is good since it will last longer....I heard the game has over 12 chapters! Chapter 3 seems to take forever to get though!

yeah thats where im at...........

Get those smokes ;)

Spaztic
08-22-2002, 09:46 AM
the next level gets a little out of control in the alley....god I love this game!

Toonz
08-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Not disputing at all that guys have it, good on ya. You've convinced me to get it. That and commercials I started seeing yesterday. Just saying that xboxtito's post wasn't old IMO since I never saw that artcle till yesterday either. Lotsa things come out early even though there not suppose to.

JJaX
08-22-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Toonz
Not disputing at all that guys have it, good on ya. You've convinced me to get it. That and commercials I started seeing yesterday. Just saying that xboxtito's post wasn't old IMO since I never saw that artcle till yesterday either. Lotsa things come out early even though there not suppose to.

here dude, we got a thread going......

Dead to Rights (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20668)

faceoff508
08-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Toonz

Where did you see the commercails? I have never seen a commercail advertising an Xbox game since Blood Wake!!!

JJaX
08-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508

Where did you see the commercails? I have never seen a commercail advertising an Xbox game since Blood Wake!!!

Dead to Rights commercial (http://www.xbox.com/cms/asx/games/deadtorights-0001-hi.asx)

faceoff508
08-22-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Dead to Rights commercial (http://www.xbox.com/cms/asx/games/deadtorights-0001-hi.asx)

Thanks, its pretty good, might catch peoples attention. Also when did it air, I would like to see it on tv.

JJaX
08-22-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508

Thanks, its pretty good, might catch peoples attention. Also when did it air, I would like to see it on tv.

*SHRUGS*

I dunno, Why does it matter, you own the game dont you? Well if you dont go get it!

faceoff508
08-22-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

*SHRUGS*

I dunno, Why does it matter, you own the game dont you? Well if you dont go get it!

I would, but I would like to rent it first. I am just afraid to make the same mistake as hunter. Hunter was good..... while it lasted. It had zero reply value. If this game has some reply value I will get it, if it doesnt then no.

Toonz
08-22-2002, 10:51 AM
There's an even longer commercial airing on Much Music since yesterday. Its about 20 seconds longer than the one posted above. Me and my friends were mezmerized and watched Much for about a 2 hours after that and saw it 2 more times. Than I read your guys post and decided I have to go get this game today. So many games so little time. I just got Buffy as well and am very happy with it. Alotta peeps will be turned off by the name but its a very strong game. My Xbox is gonna be on all weekend I think hehe

xboxtito
08-22-2002, 04:04 PM
I Knew the was but though the 411 would be good. I got last nite
at eb in rochester.ny and kicks ass

Dre
08-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by xboxtito
I Knew the was but though the 411 would be good. I got last nite
at eb in rochester.ny and kicks ass

Do you have a speech impediment or maybe a slight mental handicap? :) j/k...

but seriously folks is it hard to reread your post b4 clicking the submit to see if it makes sense?

xboxtito
08-22-2002, 04:39 PM
"I Knew the game was out but thought the 411 would be good. I got it last nite at eb in rochester.ny and it kicks ass."

This is what I meant to say...but....

Mental handicap? So I guess I must be a retard because I screwed up one post? Nice try. Everyone makes a mistake now and then, but I guess you don't make any at all, right? I happened to have someone at the door, and I was trying to finish the post quickly. If I had a chance, I would have gone back and edited it, but didn't have a chance. I guess those that felt compelled to comment never have an interruption...is this your life? Chill out and relax.......

egg
08-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by xboxtito
"I Knew the game was out but thought the 411 would be good. I got it last nite at eb in rochester.ny and it kicks ass."

This is what I meant to say...but....

Mental handicap? So I guess I must be a retard because I screwed up one post? Nice try. Everyone makes a mistake now and then, but I guess you don't make any at all, right? I happened to have someone at the door, and I was trying to finish the post quickly. If I had a chance, I would have gone back and edited it, but didn't have a chance. I guess those that felt compelled to comment never have an interruption...is this your life? Chill out and relax.......

DUDE See this :) and this.. J/K .. He was just joking with you!! God I hate people like you :) :) :) :) J/K

xboxtito
08-22-2002, 06:56 PM
Well maybe that's my bad, but I happen to be in a wheelchair since the accident (til my legs heal), so I don't like anything being said about a handicap. The remarks really weren't called for. A simple "huh?" or "??????" would have sufficed.

So how about we kill this and move on?

egg
08-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Kill what? :D

and heal fast bro!

xboxtito
08-23-2002, 06:55 AM
I'm healing good soon i will be playing some Bball