PDA

View Full Version : Xbox got a new chip?

Nat
08-22-2002, 11:31 AM
After reading the fromt page story of Xbox getting a new chip and mother-board, i have a few concerns. First, does this mean that this "new" Xbox will be different from the one currently on store shelves? Is this a case where people might have to buy a new console or upgrade or something? Second, is this a move to reduce the retail price of Xbox to gain an advantage over the competition, or is this a way for Microsoft to save money by reducing the cost of manufacturing of the system, but keeping the system at its current retail price?
Any thoughts?

techie
08-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Most likely the retail cost will remain the same for a while at least. Before they put the Xbox2 on the market, they will most likely drop the Xbox to $149.00.

With the new components, video chip, main board and the newer slimmer hard drives, MS will be able to make smaller Xbox units in the future, thus reducing their overhead per unit.

They may start including the new components into the current model of Xbox like they did with the newer lasers that are used in the DVD players. In this case, there wouldn't be any noticeable difference in the cosmetic appearence of the Xbox, but internally it would be different. It would still play the same as any other Xbox, perhaps even better. Things like the games not hanging up or freezing, and better video conversion to the tv set may become the norm for the newer Xbox's, unfortunately there most likely will not be any way to tell which one has the new components. Unless as they say, they are changing to a new plant in China, they may start incorporating the new components into the Xbox's that come from that plant.

NomadLLama
08-22-2002, 03:15 PM
i don't think that there will be any drastic changes made to the xbox until the second generation xbox comes out.

as techie said, they will probably improve just something little here and there, make smaller HD to reduce size (all consoles do that before they "die" im not sayin xbox is gonna die) just some small stuff... nothing to really worry about i don't think.

LynxFX
08-22-2002, 04:30 PM
The only visible difference will be the serial number.

The PS2 is already on Revision 7. That means there are 7 different 'PS2's' out there but you never know until you look at the serial number.

Nat
08-22-2002, 08:58 PM
whoa, whoa, I didn't know that they were gonna reduce the size of the harddrive. That's bad news for new people buying an Xbox.

LynxFX
08-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Nat
whoa, whoa, I didn't know that they were gonna reduce the size of the harddrive. That's bad news for new people buying an Xbox.

Size and Space are two different things. It will still be 8 gigs just probably using a laptop sized (2 1/2") harddrive. No one would even know if it was switched.

Nat
08-22-2002, 09:01 PM
Oh, okay, I gotcha.