PDA

View Full Version : xbox's dominance

Devil May Cry
11-05-2001, 04:05 PM
The fallacies in many fanboys is their inability to see from a more broader general viewpoint...

To me, I don't give a crap who wins the console war....

Sony fanboys have a more favorable proposition. Ask yourself, who is actually more biased? The neutral guy or the Sony *fanboy*?

In every single generation of consoles, there is a transcending console that strays from the medium and transgresses to the top.

The top categories that are the focal determining points of a successful console are:

1. Graphics

Sony failed to capitalized on this sector. Simply put, the system looks like crap. 90% of the launch games on the GC and Xbox already looks better than 60% of the games on the PS2. Many fanboys would point out such gems as Metal Gear Solid 2, GT3, and Devil May Cry as a focal graphical standpoint for the PS2. That is the fanboy viewpoint and it is biased as such. The average mean should be the determining factor and not the select few *top* titles. If we used Shenmue and Soul Caliber as the focal graphical standard for the Dreamcast, it would still be the *best* looking console today. My point being is, if the graphics already look this *good* today, imagine the disparity down the line when the developers have fully harnessed both the GC and Xbox. If 2nd generation PS2 games only equal first generation GC and Xbox games, doesn't that mean the system is *technically* one generation behind?

2. Support

The PS2 has an abundance of support but in direct constrast with the Xbox, it doesn't stray too far from any real advantages. Every single franchisee has already found their way or is going to another console. Microsoft and Nintendo both have in house personal developements that can serve as exclusives....although the PS2 has a couple, such as GT3 and TM, it is a relatively small number and is incapable of carrying the system on its own.

That is not a big issue though....

The main problem here is the level of commitment and loyality faithful companies are displaying toward Sony. They are no longer exclusive, and many of the once great, exclusive PSX franchises are finding their way onto multiple consoles.

One factor:

The difficult architect of the hardware. What it boils down to is the preference of the programmers. Preference goes a long way. For years, developers like Treasure stayed with the Sega Genesis because of the easy-to-program architecture. One of the main downfalls of the Saturn was its hard-to-program architecture and one of the greatest advantage of the PSX was its easy-to-program architecture.

Why is Namco praising the GC?

The easy-to-program architecture.

Many fanboys will argue with you and say "it doesn't matter how hard it is, if they are getting paid for it they will do it".....

That is a huge misconception. Microsoft and Nintendo both have the funds to render and match whatever Sony offers to these programmers. Money is not an issue for this generation unlike the past with Sega.

Last factor: History is a cycle.

When you look back at every generation of console, the leading company *never* continues their dominance....

Many will cite "but the PS2 will be different"...

I beg to differ. How is the generation of the Nes compared to the 16-bit be any different from the 32-bit to the 128-bit? It is a cycle. The industrial leader always gets beaten by a newcomer. Nintendo did it to Atari with the Nes, Sega did it to Nintendo with the Genesis, Sony did it to Sega/Nintendo(only because Sega dropped out of the race early to launch the Saturn), and Microsoft *will* do it to Sony.

How do I know? The industrial leader always sticks to a simple, tried and true, no-risk formula. They think they can repeat the same success with the same "rules" in a transcending industry. That is why they fail. They fail to realize the rapidity of growth in a technological industry like ours. Why isn't Nintendo a leader today? They stick to Mario and Zelda and the "child market". Why will Sony fail? They are not transcending the industry forward. We are not playing the PSX anymore and they don't realize that.

Fanboys will also cite "how can anyone top 20 million consoles"...

Simple. Through time. No console ever wins in their first year. How long did it take the Genesis to lead.....2-3 years. PSX? 2-3 years....the cycle will repeat. Microsoft will get a strong hold on the market, and through time, they will carve straight into the PS2's dominance. Nothing happens over night.

I have no doubt in my mind Microsoft will accomplish such a feat from the reasons I gave above. They are a serious competitor and the PS2 will not stand a chance.....not this generation anyway.

scarecrow kfj
11-05-2001, 04:18 PM
I just wanted to say that was good writing.

CharlesDD2
11-05-2001, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by scarecrow kfj
I just wanted to say that was good writing.

yes very well written

SciFi
11-05-2001, 05:06 PM
True...
Cycles often repeat, yet sometimes they get broken to...
Nothing lasts forever DMC, the leading console will not continue it's lead till infinity, nor will the cycles themselves.

Someday some company will breake the cycles, perhaps it will be MS, maby sony will come out on top with a PS3, or perhaps nintendo or some company none of us has heard of yet...
:D

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 05:08 PM
Being a resident near Microsoft Headquarters, I can tell you that Microsoft WILL NOT give up until they have the majority of the market share. That means, great times for XBox fans :)

smack119
11-06-2001, 02:56 PM
that was a good piece of writing....and it is true. whenever a new company comes up to the plate, everyone says....they are new they will suck....go with the one that has one over and over again. that is bs. and here is someone to look at.
being from new york....i love the yankees and it sucks they lost. but everytime i talked to people they always said, the dback are new that cant win, and the yankees have won many times so they will win...well guess what?? as a shock to many people even myself....the newcomers took the crown for a team that seemed to be unstoppable. so ill get my xbox and dont be suprised when the "newguy" takes the crown.

Tazilla
11-06-2001, 03:06 PM
I can't wait till MS rules the world,...

King Bill sounds cool,.. I don't think there has ever been a King named Bill,..

no really,.. if anyone can do this right,.. it is Microsoft,... and I feel that they have done what all of us gamers have wished for,.. a console capable of almost anything,.. I mean I have been wanting a HDD in a console for a long time,.. I just feel that they have done everything right on the Xbox,..

That's My opinion and I'm sticking to it,.. :D

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 03:36 PM
Good point, Taz...I mean, think about how great it is to burn your CDs on the Hard drive and replace the default game music with your own! This option seriously makes me drool.

I mean, anyone can tailor they gaming desires to what music they want to hear...I mean, anything from Sinatra to Metallica! Though, I plan on putting some of my favorite bands on there...like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Days of the New, Pearl Jam, etc....This is going to be most excellent :D

Tazilla
11-06-2001, 03:50 PM
And that is just one of the beneifts of having a HDD on your console,.. the posibilities are endless,.. being able to access your own desireable music in side of the game is an awesome feature,.. it's a lot different playing a game, and listening to your stereo just to hear the music you feel should be in the game,.. (GT3 as an example) the sounds were either on or off,.. I hated it,.. the game was good,.. but I wished for more control over the sound level and music choices,..

Now thanks to the inovation of the Xbox,.. I am going to be able to create what I feel is a good sond track for my taste,..

and your choices for gaming music,.. are

/me passe Maximus a Cold brew Hella good ones,..

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 04:12 PM
I'll drink to that! D a m n, you're making me thirsty! hehe:D

"Cheers!"

Tazilla
11-06-2001, 06:22 PM
Just doing my job,...

Spreading the word to the Masses,...

Got Beer?

xboxlover
11-07-2001, 01:26 PM
Hey DMC have u joined the winnin side now.If so good on ya.