PDA

View Full Version : Is there cheating in onlinePC games and will Xbox have the same problems?

Xaminor
08-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Please give me an example of online cheating for PC games the issu was brought up to me at another forum and cheating online for the Xbox.

punkfreak25
08-22-2002, 09:01 PM
I'm sure you can turn off cheats if you want to in a certain game.

robnyack
08-22-2002, 09:06 PM
in football games, online cheating is referred to as "cheese". It's when someone takes advantage of the football games A.I. to beat you on a play instead of actually beating YOU on the play.

Also "money plays" are considered cheese.

And trust me, you will all find out, there are ALOT of cheesers! But, the good thing is, they will not be able to duck out and go create a new user name. They will be gain the rep as a cheeser and people will learn to not hook up with him.

Reclaimer
08-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Example. PC MMOG (sp?) game called Camelot. Pretty neat, I think it's like everquest but that's not the point. Someguy made a buddy finder program. A program that listens to the server and tells you where your buddy is in the world. Well that got exploited into a radar system like Halo. Now the game which is a medevil era combat game, has people running around with a radar that is able to locate player controlled characters, even non player characters NPC's or bots.
I don't play this game but 2 of my friends are completely hooked on it. They say that this thing is ruining the game. It defeats the purpose, and now people are making beelines over miles of landscape to kill certain things. How are game programmers handling it? I do not know. I have heard that they fix pretty quick any explotations found by the way of a forced install patch. But this could wreck the system.

I used to be pretty big with Aliens VS Predator online. I knew people where using "trainers" small programs (i guess) that made them invincible. The same happens on Delta Force 2 games at Novaworld. It's not really a matter of Xbox Live having security measures, it's a matter of when someone will figure out how to program a program that can be installed onto yur Xbox hardrive that will exploit a particular game.

dougi3000
08-22-2002, 11:36 PM
cheating on OnlinePC games?
where?
On PC, people are usually banned for life off a server.

Probably the same thing on XboxLive, where they get banned for life on the game. Or banned off Xboxlive with no refund!

:D

RadRider
08-23-2002, 01:17 AM
PC game cheating happens all the time, I can't think of an online pc game I have played, that hasn't had someone cheating. But, it sounds like Microsoft are doing a lot to make sure the Xbox servers are secure, and will be fun for everyone.

BCan
08-23-2002, 07:57 AM
Only difference is that it will be hard for users to load these cheat programs onto the XBOX to be able to exploit them.... An XBOX on it's own isn't a problem, it's when a PC comes into the picture as well.

But then again, if it is linked to a PC network, there will be a way to exploit it. NO doubt people will find a way to use the PC to give them an advantage to "cheat" the system. After all, a program like XBConnect gives people the start of how to intercept the XBOX network signal, so don't be surprised if this is the base of the programs that will exploit/cheat the XBOX Live system

JJaX
08-23-2002, 09:43 AM
FPS games have aim bots.

RTS games have "reveal entire map" hacks

Cheating sucks......

But i would imagine Xbox games will be very difficult to "hack" to give certain people an advantage. We would have seen some Halo hacks already............

But most online games have something called CHSP (i think thats it, it Client hack server protection) i know UT did this. And evertime someone created a new bot or if the server detected a bot you couldnt connect. BUt new bots would be released so the servers would always have to update there CHSP code. It was a see-saw battle.

Toonz
08-23-2002, 09:51 AM
If we get a Gameshark or one of those type of devices there will be cheats for sure. Where theres a loser with enough time on his hands theres a way. DC had online cheats for PSO

Spaztic
08-23-2002, 10:55 AM
cheaters suck! If you arn't good enough to win without cheating then don't even bother playing....or just be a target to the good people!

SkoalMint
08-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dougi3000
cheating on OnlinePC games?
where?
On PC, people are usually banned for life off a server.

Probably the same thing on XboxLive, where they get banned for life on the game. Or banned off Xboxlive with no refund!

:D

You ever play on battle.net??? Cheating, hacking, and duping were rampant on Diablo. DiabloII was a bit better because they actually stored your character data on their servers.

And don't get me started on the PK'ers.

Sodacider
08-23-2002, 06:39 PM
the logistics of a cheat for any game just don't work out. The Xbox itself has to be physically hacked, just like a computer running a game has to be physically hacked, not the servers passing information through.

See, think it through-
Your xbox sends out information over the servers to say 3 other xboxes on Halo. The other xboxes receive it and say 'ok this is where your guy is and which way he's aiming and X and Y and Z'...

Now what your suggesting is that the server sends out alternate information saying X Y and Z are different. But here's the problem- Your own xbox doesn't know it, so as soon as the OTHER 3 xboxes relay the information back to your own xbox, unless your xbox is hacked it will see a huge network error because it's own variables don't match up at all with the other 3 xbox variables.

Revit_X_man
08-23-2002, 06:56 PM
Get caught cheating on XBL, MS bans your Xbox IP, and then cancels your XBL subscription. To play again all you have to do is buy another Xbox and another XBL account.

Sodacider
08-23-2002, 07:00 PM
assuming you have a dynamic server IP.......

Xaminor
08-27-2002, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys.