PDA

View Full Version : NIC Card????

Markus_Kalarkus
08-22-2002, 11:46 PM
i have the xbconnect thing figured out:D :D :D im getting all the stuff i need in a few days, but what the hell is a nic??? and where is it on your computer? and how many cat5 cables do you need for xbconnect? n e one can help id love it! thnx:)

Piccolo_DBz
08-23-2002, 01:01 AM
NIC(Netword Interface Card) is a PCI card that has an ethernet port on it. It's in the of the computer like everything else.

Your gonna need 3 ethernet cables.

PC to router or hub
Xbox to router or hub
Router or hub to cable modem or DSL line

BCan
08-23-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Piccolo_DBz
NIC(Netword Interface Card) is a PCI card that has an ethernet port on it. It's in the of the computer like everything else.

Your gonna need 3 ethernet cables.

PC to router or hub
Xbox to router or hub
Router or hub to cable modem or DSL line

The one from the Cable Modem, or DSL, needs to be a crossover cable, and placed into the Uplink port on your router/hub/switch.

AcidJazz
08-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by BCan

The one from the Cable Modem, or DSL, needs to be a crossover cable, and placed into the Uplink port on your router/hub/switch.

If you got an uplink port on your hub/switch/router the cable plugged into it does not have to be a crossover one, a standart RJ-45 will do fine...

BCan
08-23-2002, 08:23 AM
As far as my memory serves me, and on current experience both here at home and at work. To successfully connect through an uplink port, you need to use a crossover cable....

Highlite23
08-23-2002, 08:29 AM
As far as my memory serves me, and on current experience both here at home and at work. To successfully connect through an uplink port, you need to use a crossover cable....

Don't meen to disagree, but acidjazz is right, it doesn't need to be a crossover if your using an uplink port.

AcidJazz
08-23-2002, 08:33 AM

I use a standart cable and it works fine for me...
I believe you only need a crossover cable if your hub/switch does not have an uplink port...
I'll post a pic of my switch later...
It an SMC switch by the way...

AcidJazz
08-23-2002, 08:39 AM
The switch I'm using(SMC6405TX):

http://www.legendmicro.com/Products/ProdImgs/NTHB/6405TX.gif

Markus_Kalarkus
08-23-2002, 12:51 PM
ok so you can also just use 3 ethernet (cat5) cables instead of crossovers because im getting a switch:)

Zion
08-23-2002, 02:50 PM

No, you don't use a crossover cable. Use a standard ethernet cable.

Zion
08-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Markus_Kalarkus
ok so you can also just use 3 ethernet (cat5) cables instead of crossovers because im getting a switch:)

You need to get a router with a switch built in. buy.com has a d-link for less than $50. Get the router and do it right, that way you'll be ready for Xbox live when the time comes.

Spaztic
08-23-2002, 03:30 PM
just to reiterate the given, no you don't need a crossover! and a swith will work fine! I got a 5 port swithc for like $2.99 after a rebate from zones.com, it works verywell and it fits in my hand.

Markus_Kalarkus
08-23-2002, 04:34 PM
thnx for clearing stuuf up guys (shaggy:) )

Piccolo_DBz
08-24-2002, 01:13 AM

WTF? Dude I have a router and I don't have a crossover cable in none of my ports. It's working perfectly.

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 05:19 PM
is the cable that comes with the modem an rj45 or caT 5 cable? its the cable that goes into the modem and from the pc is that one???

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 05:28 PM
how do you know if you have an nic card??? is it the plug in that looks like a telephone jack, the one the cable modem goes into? or do i have to buy this too???

Zion
08-24-2002, 06:57 PM
is the cable that comes with the modem an rj45 or caT 5 cable? its the cable that goes into the modem and from the pc is that one???

The cable that comes with a modem is an RJ11 telephone cable, not CAT5.

Zion
08-24-2002, 06:59 PM
how do you know if you have an nic card??? is it the plug in that looks like a telephone jack, the one the cable modem goes into? or do i have to buy this too???

A NIC has an RJ-45 connector on the back, not a telephone connector. If you don't have a NIC, you'll need to buy one.

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 07:13 PM
no i dont think so, the cable that is going into my pc is thick and it fits into my xbox so i think its rj-45 (cat5)

Frostberg
08-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Sam
sorry, this convo is too deep for me.... u should try like some computer forums...
Someone isn't getting Xbox Live...

GK2
08-24-2002, 11:30 PM
ok, is it just me, or does anyone else want one of those babes in people's profile pics to come to life and walk into your room. :rolleyes:

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by GK2
ok, is it just me, or does anyone else want one of those babes in people's profile pics to come to life and walk into your room. :rolleyes:
lol, me me!!:)