PDA

View Full Version : I got my OXM #11 Today

Knight
08-23-2002, 11:49 AM
No Sega GT 2002 Demo!!
For next month they got 19 XBox games listed as coming out!!

Revit_X_man
08-23-2002, 11:51 AM
B.S, he has no proof!

Whoopage
08-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Revit_X_man
B.S, he has no proof!

lol dude....thats funny.....but your right....he has no proff.....LIAR!!!!!LIAR!!!!!!

lol

robphillips79
08-23-2002, 12:08 PM
well he has 712 posts, there has to be some credibility in there, but i'm skeptical as well since they promised a sega demo.

Knight
08-23-2002, 12:13 PM
On the Cover is Ninja Gaiden & DOAXBV!!

Knight
08-23-2002, 12:15 PM
But if your going to call me a liar then I'm not telling you any more about it!!

clutch
08-23-2002, 12:25 PM
What games did they review?

DZNUTZ
08-23-2002, 12:34 PM
i belive ya knight.

wasup...give me the skinney

previews
reviews
cover story

hooooooooook it uuuuuuuup;)

Jarvis
08-23-2002, 01:35 PM
reviews:

NFL Blitz 20-03
Nfl 2k3
Madden 2003
Fever 2003
Prisoner of War
Aggressive Inline
Red Card 20-03
Soccer Slam
Bruce Lee
Tetris World
Sega GT 2002
Street Hoops
Taz Wanted

demos:

Crash Bandicoot
Halo
Hunter
Max Payne
Spiderman
Jedi Star Fighter
Time Splitters

no Sega GT

movies:

Lotus Challange
Splinter Cell
ToeJam & Earl 3
Malice
P.O.D (pyramid of death)
10 plays month
Dead to rights
Enclave
Hitman 2

previews

Streets of LA
DOAXB
Ninja Gaiden (New pretty pics)
BMX XXX
Medal of Honor Frontline
Duality (only four pics )
Jedi Knight 2
Crimson Sea
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Blade 2

-jarvis

Professor Kaos
08-23-2002, 01:51 PM
im expecting to get mine any day now, i cant wait

DZNUTZ
08-23-2002, 01:55 PM
thanx for the 411 jarvis

i'm glad to see nfl2k3 beat madden..thats what i was most interested in.

faceoff508
08-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Jarvis
demos:

Crash Bandicoot
Halo
Hunter
Max Payne
Spiderman
Jedi Star Fighter
Time Splitters

no Sega GT

WTF?:mad: THERES NOTHING NEW!!!!!!!!!

i'm glad to see nfl2k3 beat madden..thats what i was most interested in.

IGN said that the Xbox had the best version:

NFL 2K3 (PS2, GCN, Xbox)
NFL 2K3 has finally succeeded in doing what no other sports (except possibly EA's own NCAA Football ) game could... it has toppled Madden. For football purists, there's nothing better than 2K3's realistic gameplay, stingy AI, and mega-deep Franchise mode.

But perhaps you own more than system and don't know which is the best. That's where we come in. This head-to-head is designed to help you sort out which controls the best, which game has the best picture and sound, and what versions can get online (if you're into that sort of thing). Bear in mind that all three versions are great. If you roll with one system, you'll be happy with whatever version you buy. But if you're in a pinch, we'll help you make one of the toughest decisions of your life.

Control
The PS2 has the best sports controller around, period, and it's especially good for football. One advantage it has is that the paddle has basically been around since the PSX launched, so there's been a lot of tweaking to make it the sweetest controller around. It's the best for playing 2K3, too, although Xbox comes in a close second.

Luckily, on both Xbox and Cube, the trigger buttons are assigned to passing, so you don't have to try to find the bean buttons on the Cube or the small black and white buttons on the Xbox. Still, passing with a trigger is not as nice as passing with the shoulder buttons. In addition, both the Xbox and PS2 have analog buttons which makes passing and juking a lot easier.

I feel like I'm harping on this each time I do a head-to-head, but the GameCube simply is not a good sports controller. That said, this is one of the least offensive set-ups for playing football on the Cube. It almost approaches intuitive. The other thing about the Cube is that it supports a wireless controller (the Wavebird) which makes the Cube an attractive option for rowdy four-player games. However, I still have to give the overall edge to the PS2.

Graphics
The animations in NFL 2K3 are some of the best around, and look great on all three systems. In fact, most things look very similar on all three--player models, face textures, and stadiums. However, on the Xbox, everything is a little crisper, and a lot more textured. Take a look at the jerseys on the Xbox version, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
The main difference between the versions lies in the field texture department. The textures in 2K3 have never been stunning, but they look pretty good on the Xbox version. Some of the textures--especially up-close views of dome turf--look good on the PS2 and GameCube, but there are others that are plain awful. Some grass textures, for instance, look mottled and bitmappy, and, well, not much like grass. On a couple of fields we saw on the Cube, the texture actually seemed to "stop" at the bottom of the screen, pixelling out into blackness at the border of the picture. This won't concern you unless you're a big time graphics connoisseur. The same problem exists somewhat on the PS2 as well.

Some of the textures can be pretty muddy on the GameCube and PS2.

The Xbox handles textures the best throughout. In addition, this version adds detail to everything. The stadia look a little more realistic and filled-out, the uniforms look great (check out the mesh) even close up, and weather effects look great throughout.

One more thing to note. We saw a weird blurring effect during some of the action on the Cube version. Again, this will only bother you if you are seriously concerned about graphical matters. The bottom line is that all three versions look good, but Xbox looks great at times.

Winner: Xbox

Sound
NFL 2K3 has some of the best sound we've heard thus far in a football title. The cacading noise of the crowd is great, the field jabber is well done (and not over-done) and the commentary is tight. Of course, if you have a great home audio system, you'll want to show it off. And you want to know which version does that the best.

The audio component of NFL 2K3, in terms of quality, can be broken down pretty easily. A huge part of the experience is hearing the crowds, the announcers, and the unsettling crunches of two teams colliding. Between the three different consoles, the breakdown is very much like it usually is for multi-platform releases.

Starting at the bottom and working our way up, the GameCube version comes packaged with the most compressed, and muddled sound. You'll be able to hear all the same effects, but the separation is very minimal. The announcer is centered, but the crowd and on-field effects start to overpower him, and it doesn't help that it's somewhat compressed. Overall, it's actually fairly disappointing once you've heard all three versions.

Moving on, the PlayStation 2 version is very similar to the GameCube. However, it benefits from a larger media size, DVD, and an optical audio output, so the compression on commentary and effects isn't nearly as detectable. It's definitely a cut above the GameCube version in that regard.

As usual, though, the ruler in the audio department is the Xbox. In the side-by-side comparison, the Xbox would be like listening to a CD where the GameCube and PS2 iterations of NFL 2K3 are more akin to tape cassettes. Also, the separate between the front channels is immediately apparent. As you plow through the lines you'll be able to hear your attackers to the right and left. Meanwhile, the commentary is clean and uncontaminated by the crowds and peripheral effects.

Oddly, all three feature surround support -- the crowds fill all five speakers -- but it doesn't appear to be Dolby certified. This much is a real shame, because with enough work we could have seen much-improved audio, and ultimately immersion, with the implementation of Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital 5.1. Titles like Halo, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, and Metal Gear Solid 2 have proven this much.

So, indeed, the Xbox version is the clear winner. Don't laugh all at once kids, it's a clever play on words that you'll no doubt hear again. Now, break from this huddle and move on...

Winner: Xbox

The Xbox boasts the best graphics, sound and also has online play.

Feature
PlayStation 2
Xbox
GameCube

Media/Size 1 DVD 1 DVD 1 GVD
Resolution 640 X 480 640 X 480 640 X 480
Progressive Scan No Yes Yes
Sound Dolby Surround Dolby Digital (5.1) Dolby Surround
Memory Size 1 Memory Card Unlimited 1 Memory Card (251)
No. Players 1-8 (With Multitap) 1-4 1-4
Online Yes Yes No
Analog Passing Yes Yes No

Final Verdict
There is one last thing to consider, and that's online play. Xbox and PS2 have it, and GameCube doesn't. While this may or may not matter to you, we think it's pretty huge. We got an opportunity to play the Xbox Live version at Visual Concepts, and it's great. There's virtually no lag, the communication is fast and furious, and it's plain fun. Just the ability to play a console football game with a buddy across the country has us itching for Novemeber. We can't speak to the effectiveness of online play on the PS2, but the mere fact that the feature exists is itself a plus. The PS2 online service launches next week, so be sure to check the PS2 site for a rundown of how everything plays.

In the end, this one comes down to graphics, and ease of saving (no fumbling for memory cards is a huge plus), both areas where the Xbox excels. Add the best audio and slick online gaming to the package, and what do you have? Xbox emerging victorious again. What are you waiting for? Buy an Xbox today, not tomorrow, because this trend doesn't seem to be letting up.

Overall Winner: Xbox

TIME
08-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by robphillips79
well he has 712 posts, there has to be some credibility in there, but i'm skeptical as well since they promised a sega demo.

Rob, if I remember correctly they apologized for not including SegaGT in disc #10 and said they HOPED it would be included in the next edition.

BullitNC
08-23-2002, 02:25 PM
I hope ya'll are kidding about the demo disc.....that sounds totally pathetic.

nico [txb]
08-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by BullitNC
I hope ya'll are kidding about the demo disc.....that sounds totally pathetic.

Me too. If it's true, then I'm hanging myself.

killerclint
08-23-2002, 02:39 PM
i'am not paying $12 to play those demo's!,i have all them,i'll just rip it open and read it at the news stand.

addict733
08-23-2002, 02:40 PM
the next oxm isnt coming out for AT LEAST 2 weeks. i just got my last one a few weeks ago.

ShaqPack!
08-23-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by killerclint
i'am not paying $12 to play those demo's!,i have all them,i'll just rip it open and read it at the news stand.

I did that once and the stupid clerks at Gamestop yelled at me.

robphillips79
08-23-2002, 02:56 PM
ouch, this mag looks like garbage. guess i don't need to buy any toilet paper for the next few weeks.

i can't believe they gave us all recycled demos. plus the previews are of games i could care less about or stupid ports. and they want me to re-subscribe. suck it!

mrmp3
08-23-2002, 03:25 PM
Seriously the month after better have some extra **** that is A LOT better cause this issue sounds worthless. The demo is pretty much old demos and released games, there a couple movies (but I could prob d-load them online), and the magazine sounds terrible. Why the hell did I subscribe? Signing off...

Caliadar
08-23-2002, 03:28 PM
If thats true then this is the worst demo disc ever.

And those of you demanding Proof... This is for you:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/reebdoog/hpbimg/hitler.gif

DaturaX
08-23-2002, 03:32 PM
Wow #10 was crap except for the videos and now #11 looks like total crap as well.I subscribed to OXM in hopes the demos would be of current stuff or soon to be released games so I could make a informed purchasing decision by playing the demos for myself.Well it sounded like a good idea at the time.:rolleyes:

EHWfedPres
08-23-2002, 04:16 PM
Humm, im expecting mine in about...

*check watch for date*

a month or so...3 weeks if im lucky... :confused:

hook-worm J
08-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ShaqPack!

I did that once and the stupid clerks at Gamestop yelled at me.

hmmm... I wonder why? pffftt... dumbass...

Anyway, the good thing about the demo disk is the movies. I want to see that splinter cell video! Whats it like???

EHWfedPres
08-23-2002, 04:17 PM
And yeah, 10 was a load of crap...i got a free poster, ooo wow. If there's no sega gt demo, I'll do..........something...

y2kash_14
08-23-2002, 05:14 PM
damn the disc looks like total dodo, they made a pretty good disc these past two months, what happened? But I am looking forward to that Splinter Cell video, how is it?:p BTW, when does Sega GT come out?

clutch
08-23-2002, 05:54 PM
Soon , EB games has it slated for the third of September.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=214866

Snoopy7548
08-23-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by hook-worm J

hmmm... I wonder why? pffftt... dumbass...

Anyway, the good thing about the demo disk is the movies. I want to see that splinter cell video! Whats it like???

its probly the same video thats all over the internet.

DIGITAL
08-23-2002, 06:02 PM
sounds like the exact content of issue 9 the one with ninjas an babes on the cover ,an that demo disc toatlly stinks ,not 1 new demo wtf,if this true we should all email them an ask whats up wit dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Tkf5000
08-23-2002, 06:09 PM
man. this issue sounds like its guna stink! why nothing new. this one sounds rushed. the last one came out like not too long ago. they should of waited a little longer and maye got the sega gt demo.

EHWfedPres
08-23-2002, 07:23 PM
lets hope the god damn top 10 plays arent just normal gameplay clips of the most terrible games out like the last several times... :mad:

Revit_X_man
08-23-2002, 07:32 PM
My bad, just didn't think someone would get it this early.
The demo disk sucks big time.

Save me Jebus
08-23-2002, 11:32 PM
wtf
am i the only person who owns an xbox who appreciates the oxm???? you guys are all whining and saying you're not going to subscribe again, well you'll be missing a lot, i'm re subscribing

who cares if there is no sega gt demo, i'm gonna buy it in like 10 days anyways....
oxm has awesome info that i luv to read and if you guys all hate it just go read the sears catalogue...

NomadLLama
08-23-2002, 11:44 PM
god dam. this sux.. i paid 25 bucks for just something that's "a little different" than an issue before... shlitt, then even jacked up the price for the next year... GOD! some new videos... some strange reviews. looks like the only thing that i am paying for is the exclusive screenshots... dam

MerimacHamwich
08-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Don't forget the fanboy reviews and comments!

Knight
08-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Don't forget the fanboy reviews and comments!

Would you like OXM better if they Hated the XBox like EGM or Game Pro??
Or was Sony's B***h like Game Informer??

DouXXX
08-24-2002, 11:53 AM
what's on the rumor section?

Knight
08-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DouXXX
what's on the rumor section?

There is No rumor section this month!!

Tkf5000
08-24-2002, 12:29 PM
so theres no rumor mole? whats happening in the world these days. i dont hate oxm. i like oxm and ima resubscribe when needed. i just hope they dont do this with the demos anymore.

MerimacHamwich
08-24-2002, 01:18 PM
No I don't wish they hated the XBOX but being a fanboy is just as bad IMO. They aren't that bad but sometimes they say and rate stuff just horribly. Like DOA3 getting a 9/10. That is bull I woulda gave it a 7 only becuase of the graphics.

Tkf5000
08-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
No I don't wish they hated the XBOX but being a fanboy is just as bad IMO. They aren't that bad but sometimes they say and rate stuff just horribly. Like DOA3 getting a 9/10. That is bull I woulda gave it a 7 only becuase of the graphics. thats just your opinion. the world doesnt revolve around u. cuz u would give sumthin a 7 doesnt mean someone esle cant.

Kooster
08-24-2002, 02:38 PM
WTF??? I just got it too! This is the worst OXM ever! The demos arent even new levels, theyre the same demos in previous magazines! I say we all email them and tell them how much it sucks!! Practically all the demos on it are old. msalmon@imaginemedia.com

chili325
08-24-2002, 05:08 PM
segagt-9.1!!!! nice
I personally think that their reviews are pretty good. Although I would disagree with some scores (wreckless) everyone has different opinions. If u read the reviews u can actually see the points that they are making and understand where they are coming from. As far as the demo disks it must be really hard for a company to release a playable demo before the game is done. U think they dont try? its a way for people to pass judgement on a game which may contain glitches and bugs. Its like backwards advertising. Dont blame oxm, those guys work, and i usually by my games in accordance to their reviews and usaully have the same opinion.

Tkf5000
08-24-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Kooster
WTF??? I just got it too! This is the worst OXM ever! The demos arent even new levels, theyre the same demos in previous magazines! I say we all email them and tell them how much it sucks!! Practically all the demos on it are old. msalmon@imaginemedia.com i wrote a long leter too. i told em how they were lsoing customers and stuff. hopefully they dont do this again!

DIGITAL
08-25-2002, 03:36 AM
they got a letter from me two.:confused: