PDA

View Full Version : Question about the High Definition AV Pack for XBOX

Jason1010
11-05-2001, 08:20 PM
Do you have to get cables to hook that thing up to the tv or how does that all work out???

Here is the picture of what i am talking about ---

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=209496

Infinite
11-05-2001, 08:40 PM
I can help you out wit that:)

Actually its used like this...

all those lil nobes on the right side dotn really mean anything different! you use one to plug to the cord thats connected to the back of ur tv. all the other knobs are just used for other stuff u wanna connect to it like ur vcr, dvd player an other video game systems! It looks more complex than it is!

hope that helps

Jason1010
11-05-2001, 10:14 PM
that kinda helps except on the back of my tv there are like 5 different rca looking hookup things except they are for the 480p and 1080i signals or something.... i dont know... i guess ill just buy it and hope it comes with a manual :D thanx for the help though.

BlaZeR2
11-05-2001, 10:16 PM
the HD pack has Component Video plugs (three plugs - each carries a color to the tv (basically)), then there are 2 plugs for analog audio (rca plugs L and R), then the last is Digital Optical for 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound (through a compatible receiver)

To connect the XBOX to your tv, you need to have component inputs on your tv (or receiver) and the tv needs to be HD compatible (i think - depends on the tv). So if you don't have a TV with component video inputs, you should either use the Advanced AV pack (same thing, except it replaces the 3 component plugs with 1 s-video plug, Or use the standard AV pack, which uses standard RCA video plug and standard RCA L and R plugs.

If i am wrong about this, please someone correct me.

BlaZeR2

BlaZeR2
11-05-2001, 10:18 PM
well, after seeing your most recent post

it would appear you have an HD tv with component inputs. You just plug the three plugs into your 1080i plug, and you will be all set. Then if you have a dolby digital receiver, use an optical cable to that to get Dolby Digital sound, and you will be rocking in the best possibly setup.

Good luck

BlaZeR2

Jason1010
11-05-2001, 10:19 PM
so u think the pack comes with the plug hook ups??? i mean i would assume it would but i was just curious...

Jason1010
11-05-2001, 10:20 PM
oh ok... cool thanx for the info.... now i just gotta talk the parents into buying some **** surround sound speakers and a reciever :D :D :D

BlaZeR2
11-05-2001, 10:46 PM
Deleted double post (reason for double post unknown)

Sorry

BLaZeR2

Hugh_Jass
11-06-2001, 12:00 PM
The key is really having a TV with component inputs. It wouldn't necessarily have to be an HDTV, though all HDTVs should have component inputs.

BlaZeR2
11-06-2001, 12:30 PM
I was under the impression that by using the HD pack, it automatically set the XBOX to sending High Definition info to the TV. Meaning, as soon as you plug the HD pack into the XBOX, it switches the xbox into HD mode, where it only sends HD signals.

I thought the HD pack was ONLY for HD tvs, and the Advance was for higher quality tvs with Svideo (NON HD). According to my source, the switch is autosensed by the xbox depending on what AV pack you plug into it. That is why I said, you have to have an HD tv if you plan on using the HD pack, because as soon as you plug the HD pack into the xbox, you will only receive HD signals to your TV.

I remember reading this information in a Video Game mag some time ago, so it may be inaccurate now. If I am wrong, sorry

BlaZeR2

Malot
11-06-2001, 01:13 PM
That's what it sounds like to me. You'll need to have a HDTV to use the HD AV pack. Lowest scan rate it gives is 480p. That won't work on a non HD compatible TV. I have a rather recent JVC 32" that I made sure had Component inputs for my DVD player, but it is NOT HD. I'm buying the Advanced AV pack and will be doing S-Video switching at my reciever and leaving my DVD hooked up directly to the TV.

BlaZeR2
11-06-2001, 02:35 PM
Thanks for confirming that....

I have a Sony Wega with Component inputs, but it is not HD. So i bought the advanced AV pack and will do S-video switching through the receiver also. (DVD using the component on the TV)

Sounds like a similar setup.
:)

BlaZeR2