PDA

View Full Version : Help me get s-video and component

split511
08-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Alright I just bought a new sony 5.1 home theater system. On the reciever all of the inputs are standard composite inputs which is fine at this time because my tv doesn't support anything but composite. But, if I ever got a tv that supported s-video or component inputs how would i plug everything in so that I would still have the sound going through the reciever for 5.1 DD yet still have the improved picture quality that you get with component or s-video? Is it possible or am I stuck with composite for as long as I want to use my current reciever? Thanks for you help if you have any!

Markus_Kalarkus
08-23-2002, 01:34 PM
New T.V:)

split511
08-23-2002, 01:41 PM
new tv??? what are you trying to say.. my entire question revolved around the possibilty of me getting a new tv

TIME
08-23-2002, 02:10 PM
The official Xbox Advanced Paks and the Monster Component Cables for Xbox all allow you to run an optical cable to your 5.1 receiver for the surround sound. If you do get a new TV buy one with Component inputs and one that supports at least 480p resolution.

Zion
08-23-2002, 02:42 PM
1) Get the new TV.
2) Get the Microsoft Hi-Def a/v pack.
3) Run component cables to the TV for video.
4) Run an optical digital cable to the receiver for audio.

That's it.

techie
08-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you would need to upgrade your reciever to a
newer model supporting optical inputs for digital and possibly
component inputs.

If you shop around you can probably still find a Pioneer 850
that does DTS/ES DD 5.1 & 6.1, also will do component video
switching for two devices (Xbox and DVD Player) for around
$250 to $350. It's a really good reciever for the money. Or for
a little more you can probably find a Pioneer Elite which is
what I use.

Toder
08-23-2002, 04:14 PM
i have the first dvd home theater system from sony and it has a optical input.

split511
08-23-2002, 08:34 PM
my reciever has both optical and coaxial inputs I'm fine with that but don't i still need to plug in the regular audio cables too. Like the red and white ones. Since I have the optical cabe plugged in does that mean the red and white cables are doing nothing? So if i get a new tv how would i wire everything so that I get dolby digital and s-video or component without compononet or s-video inputs on my reciever. Right now all of my equipment is connected to the back of the reciever and then it goes to the tv since there are composite inputs on the reciever but i won't be able to do that if I want s-video or component video. Do you guys get what I am trying to say?

Zion
08-23-2002, 10:07 PM
If your receiver does not have component inputs, you have two choices:

1) Upgrade it (the preferred method)
2) Bypass it and simply run the component video cables straight to your TV. You'll just have to press the input button on the TV every time you go to and from the Xbox.

And when you hook up the digital optical audio, you do not need the analog audio connected.

split511
08-24-2002, 07:49 AM
thanks zion i understand, I think I will go with the second option unless I come across another large sum of money...I'm only 16