PDA

View Full Version : Is XBOX dead?

GeNeRaL AcE
08-24-2002, 12:46 PM
:(

Munich (vp) - the program cxbx the hacker "Caustik" is to make it possible in the future to bring Xbox programs also under Windows to running. The program is present to time in version 0.3.0 and can convert Xbox Executables (XBE) in Windows portable Executables (EXE).

Thus the programs are not yet executable under Windows - however the first step is done. Next a goal is located an emulator in the list, which both the Xbox BIOS and the hardware are to emulate.

If a Xbox program is implemented, it calls functions, which are supplied by the Xbox BIOS at different times. According to own statements "Caustik" succeeded in by "Kernel Hijacking" to intercept and emulating an individual function call. In the next version all BIOS functions are to be emulated to be able.

Inquired with hacker "Caustik"
Opposite CHIP on-line one avowed "Caustik" that it as an instructive challenge regard the whole. Each software, which is worth it, to be written, has her own problems, so the hacker. It expects above all problems when implementing play on the PC. Thus my it however not that it will not be possible.

To the question, whether he had contact with Microsoft, it answered "Caustik" that he do not hope, by its project annoyance to get. It does not make anything illegal and has largest respect for the work Microsofts. Its efforts are not meant to promoting pirat copies. If Microsoft with it should take up contact, it will at least probably give an interesting discussion.

http://216.239.35.120/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.chip.de/news_stories/news_stories_8804301.html&prev=/language_tools

Highlite23
08-24-2002, 01:13 PM
I would love to answer your question regarding this article, but i havn't a clue what it's saying.

In short though...XBOX is not dead.

GeNeRaL AcE
08-24-2002, 01:19 PM
They are saying that they can convert .XBE files into .EXE files :( That means they can make an Xbox emulator.

DouXXX
08-24-2002, 02:06 PM
i hope MS can catch him and prosecute him before he can get his project done. perhaps, pay him to call his project off or something like that

yall
08-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Think about it for a minute. MS is focusing on a market segment that doesn't want to deal with the hassles associated with pc gaming (No flames please, I'm also a pc gamer). So how much of MS's market will want to emulate xbox games on their pc's? Not many. Probably so few in fact that it will not significantly hurt xbox software sales. The real threat to the software sales comes in the form of bootleg games playable on the console itself.

sinizuh
08-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by GeNeRaL AcE
They are saying that they can convert .XBE files into .EXE files :( That means they can make an Xbox emulator.

:cry: xbox is as good as dead. i'll go sell it tomorrow and buy a PS2... :rolleyes:

btw, do you want a xbox emulator that plays 3gb roms? I DO! I DO!

anarky
08-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Yes. Xbox is dead so just throw yours away.

LTM360
08-24-2002, 05:01 PM
yeah right, like it will work. I havn't even seen a good N64 emulater or PSX emulater (excluding Bleem! which was laggy also)

Snoopy7548
08-24-2002, 06:28 PM
yea, they'll make an xbox emulator. but hardly anyone can use it. youre gonna need a wicked fast computer for it. which will cost a ton more than just buying the xbox.

Curll84
08-24-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
youre gonna need a wicked fast computer for it.

Ha ha. You said "wicked fast". I knew you had to be from New England :)

I swear we have the highest concentration of Xbox users around these parts.

Snoopy7548
08-24-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Curll84

are u from new england too? lol, which state? im from ct. its wicked boring here. lol:)

Snoopy7548
08-24-2002, 06:43 PM
whoever wrote that article probly never graduated elementary school. the grammar is wicked horrible. lol

Curll84
08-24-2002, 06:50 PM
I represent MA :)

Anyway, MS can and will sue anyone trying to emulate the Xbox. Sony and MS have really cracked down on piraters and stuff like that.

Fixxer
08-24-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
yea, they'll make an xbox emulator. but hardly anyone can use it. youre gonna need a wicked fast computer for it. which will cost a ton more than just buying the xbox.

Your thinking wrong... Xbox is already X86 so it wouldn't be much different. It wouldn't be like emulating PS2/Gamecube code.

GokuX
08-24-2002, 08:28 PM
The possibility of an emulator that could actually work is so believable seeing as every Xbox emulator thus far has worked perfectly.

The Hitman
08-24-2002, 10:39 PM
Yes, Xbox is dead, send it to me.

Jim Duge
08-25-2002, 11:50 AM
My Xbox is dead.

Fossil8752
08-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Curll84

I have relatives up in New England so every summer we head up that way. Everything is "wicked" up there. Last year my cousins didn't use it as much as a matter of fact... oh well. Oh, and my cousins always say "no sir" and stuff like that as well.

GeNeRaL AcE
08-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by sinizuh

:cry: xbox is as good as dead. i'll go sell it tomorrow and buy a PS2... :rolleyes:

btw, do you want a xbox emulator that plays 3gb roms? I DO! I DO!
Ok Mr Know it All. Xbox Sells are going to be affected if an Emulator is made.

MOlsen
08-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Hmm, interesting, but useless. The hackers are going to have lots of fun with the Xbox for a long time, because it is going to be around for a long time to come. Sorry Ace. :)

1. The grammar looks like it is a direct, and rather literal translation from german. The grammar has not been modified by normal American/English grammar rules.

2. Why would somebody want to emulate xbox games on a PC anyway? Halo is going to get ported to PC. And the PC has a huge number of games, even great games, that will never get ported to Xbox. Adventure (Colossal Cave sp?, Everquest etc.) So who cares.

3. Germans are not wild about anything American, and have little interest in the same games we do. They aren't particularly thrilled with the Xbox, so, who cares?

Zen
08-25-2002, 01:43 PM
i haven't even seen an emulator for dreamcast yet and thats on windows CE... let alone 2000

i dont think we'll see an xbox emulator for a while still

Tyan
08-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Xbox dead, for not hope I. About article understanding I not did have her emulator. Ever. translation. best.:)