PDA

View Full Version : System Link???

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 05:10 PM
someone just said u need a system link cable to play on (lan) or whatever??? is this true?? i thought all you need is a few cat5 cables hub and cable or dsl modem???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Zion
08-24-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Markus_Kalarkus
someone just said u need a system link cable to play on (lan) or whatever??? is this true?? i thought all you need is a few cat5 cables hub and cable or dsl modem???:confused: :confused: :confused:

You need a system link cable to hook 2 Xbox's together.

You need a CAT5 cable to connect to to a LAN.

You need the router if you need to create a LAN.

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 07:09 PM
tthnx zion:)

TIME
08-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Zion

Routers are better, but a LAN connection between Xboxes can be done with an inexpensive Hub also.

Xracer
08-24-2002, 08:31 PM
here's what ive been using 50 bucks @ best buy
http://images.bestbuy.com/images/esku/front/11008675frAw502h146.jpg

exitao
10-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Zion

You need a system link cable to hook 2 Xbox's together.

You need a CAT5 cable to connect to to a LAN.

So what's the difference between a cat5 and the link cable?
is it patch or twisted pair?

The connectors look the same as a regular network cable.

techie
10-24-2002, 07:16 PM
Same difference, a cat5 patch cable is made from twisted pair
cable. The system link cable is also called a crossover cable,
which by the way is also made from twisted pair cable. Just
certain wires are "crossed over" at the other end. There's
actually a lot more to it, but this is a simplified explanation.

exitao
10-24-2002, 11:48 PM
So a CAT5 Patch cable is the same thing as a Twisted-Pair Crossover cable, sometimes just called Twisted-Pair or Crossover and I can buy 50' for $15 or I can buy the MS 20' cable for $9.99 or $29.99 depending where I shop?

But this cable won't work with the Router/Hub for connecting online, as for this you need a basic CAT5 network cable?

So I've got to shell out another $10 or so for a long enough section of that stuff too when we want to go online?

Will I be able to buy a moderately over-priced version of that cable with the MS Xbox brand on it too?

Or can we just used standard CAT5 and hook up to the router/hub and connect with each other without going online?

For the LAN you need a router because the Xbox uses DHCP and must be given a unique ip, which will make even more sense when we can connect to the Xbox online service because this way we both need our own subscription/ip to connect to that network at the same time?

Whew! Any typos?