PDA

View Full Version : USB and Crossover Cables? plz help!!!

Markus_Kalarkus
08-24-2002, 06:14 PM
i was looking at xbconnect setup list thing http://www.xbconnect.com/networkcfg.html and i seen setup D, i have a usb port, but i dont know what a nic is (network interface card)??? is it a port?????if so is it the port your cable modem is plugging into on your pc???? and is a crossover cable the same shape as a rj-45 (cat 5) cable, and would it fit into the xbox and the cable modem slot in the back of my computer??? i need fast help because im getting my things tommorow for online play and i dont think i wanna waste 50 to 70 dollars CDN on a frikin switch/hub/router so if someone could help i would hhhhhhuuuuuuuggggggeeeeeeeelllllllllyyyyy aprreciate it!!!! thnx in advance:)

Zion
08-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Yes, a NIC is a network card. You have to have one in your computer for broadband. Your broadband modem plugs into your broadband router, which will distribute connections to your PC's and Xbox. You don't use crossover cables, just standard ethernet cables.

frog11983
08-25-2002, 03:57 PM
hmmm... yes, do you have to use a cross over cable when you connect your xbox up to a network, or can you use a normal patch cable?

Zion
08-25-2002, 05:11 PM
No you don't use a crossover cable.

mrmp3
08-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Yeah I've done the USB/Crossover method. Unless u got like T1 or T3, youll lag. Even if it was with your buddy 2 blocks down, this thing LAGS extremely even when your the only person playing on it. BTW, I used my crossover cable and not a straight-thru Cat 5. Signing off...

BCan
08-26-2002, 05:56 AM
If you have setup D, you need a crossover cable. It is a network cable that has the send and receive wires crossed over, so that what you send goes into the receive wire on the end, and vice versa. It has the same RJ-45 connections, a normal cable will have no network activity, as the XBOX and PC will send colliding data down the same wire, and won't receive any since they aren't sending the data to the receive wire on the NIC

As well as a NIC - network card, any cheap one should do....

That is all you will need....
I did have that setup, mainly due to coz I didn't have my switch yet, but I have that now, and it is all sweet!!