PDA

View Full Version : need a router or hub

The Art Of Dyin
08-25-2002, 11:45 AM
which one should i get for xbox live and why? i need help deciding because i odnt kno much bout this kinda thing .thx.:)

Kooster
08-25-2002, 12:37 PM
u need a switch

lllSmokelll
08-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Kooster
u need a switch
Get a router

robnyack
08-25-2002, 01:20 PM
I believe, if you have cable, and you want to be able to surf the net and play xbox live at the same time, you will need a router.

If you have DSL and you want to be able to surf the net and play XBL at the same time, a hub will be sufficient.

Has to do with static IPs, I think. With cable, you do not have a static ip, with dsl you do.

If you don't mind unplugging your cable from your pc and plugging it into your xbox, and visa versa, then you don't need either!

stang46
08-25-2002, 01:51 PM
Okay everyone so far has given answers that are totally wrong.
You first need to know how many ip addresses your cable/DSL provider gives you. Generally, they only give you 1 and you have to pay an additional fee per month to get more ips. If this is the case, you will need a ROUTER if you want to be able to get online with your computer and Xbox at the same time. You need a router cause you need to have a total of 2 ips(one for Xbox, one for comp). The Linksys 4port router is selling at BestBuy right now for $50 so honestly I would just go this route since routers are so cheap now. Another option would be be to pay the additional fee for an extra ip and just connect everything through a hub. This fee is generally only $5-10 extra per month.

Now, if your cable providers gives you more than one ip address you can just go buy a cheap hub or switch and that will work fine. Basically for most home networks a hub or switch is going to perform exactly the SAME. The only difference a switch has is it has dedicated bandwidth between connections with your local area network. Thus, if you are going to expect alot of file sharing on your HOME network you should get a switch, if you aren't going to be doing ALOT of filesharing just get a hub.

The most important thing to remember is that if you want both your Xbox and computer online you need two ips. You can either do this through a router or tell your isp you want to get an additional ip....

I believe, if you have cable, and you want to be able to surf the net and play xbox live at the same time, you will need a router.

If you have DSL and you want to be able to surf the net and play XBL at the same time, a hub will be sufficient.

Has to do with static IPs, I think. With cable, you do not have a static ip, with dsl you do.

It has nothing to do with static ips. It only matters that you have anough ips for however many devices you want to connect. DSL and Cable companies generally only give you ONE 1 ip. Having cable or DSL makes no difference whatsoever in being able to use your comp online and play xbox at the same time. If you have a DSL line with only one ip your only going to get one device connected at at time cause only one device can pull the 1 ip coming from your isp.

Markus_Kalarkus
08-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Switch, theyre the fastest, smartest but most expensive:(

Zion
08-25-2002, 05:12 PM
You need a router with a switch built in. You can get one for less than $50. This is the only right way to do it.

robnyack
08-25-2002, 06:03 PM
It has nothing to do with static ips. It only matters that you have anough ips

that's where you are wrong. if you have a static ip, you do not have to get an additional ip. youare costing these guys more money they they need to spend.

dave_m123
08-25-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by robnyack

that's where you are wrong. if you have a static ip, you do not have to get an additional ip. youare costing these guys more money they they need to spend.

Actually he's right having a static IP just means your IP number is permanent it doesent mean you can have as many connections as you like. You generally pay more for static IP's. Most ISP's offer dynamic IP's but you can get a static one if you pay more.

Stang46 is correct

robnyack
08-25-2002, 06:37 PM
I dont disagree with that at all.

The point is, if you have a static ip, it allows you to get away with just using a hub instead of having to go the router route and still be able to share your pc and xbox.

stang46
08-25-2002, 06:40 PM

LOL, okay then please explain to me if you have ONE STATIC ip coming in through a DSL connection how are you going to get TWO devices connected that EACH NEED THEIR OWN IP(That means you need two IPs). You need a way to split that one static line into multiple ips on your home lan...This is where a router comes into play.

Why don't you just re-read that again so maybe you can comprehend it....

So basically your DSL line provides 1 SET IP, however, you need 2 IPs to get both an Xbox and a computer online as each device needs its own ip. What do you not understand about this? It seems you don't have any clue as to what an ip is and how this works. Maybe you need to reread what YOU wrote:

Has to do with static IPs, I think.
Hmm sounds like your real confident with your comment there:rolleyes:

Anyways once you explain how you are going to get two devices online with one ip and no other hardware I would really like to know. Thats why routers were made in the first place, to split one incoming ip into seperate ones, hence the name router(it routes ips).

stang46
08-25-2002, 06:42 PM
The point is, if you have a static ip, it allows you to get away with just using a hub instead of having to go the router route and still be able to share your pc and xbox.

That is totally correct and NOT what I am arguing about at all. This is what you originally posted that is totally wrong:

If you just want to use your xbox and computer on the same line but NOT ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME, all you need is a hub or switch. However, if you want to have the capability to use both ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME a router is required as two ips are required(I have said this like 5 times now). Also this holds true for both static and dynamic connections, if you have just one ip your only gonna get one device online at a time...
end of story

robnyack
08-25-2002, 06:57 PM
gotta love the arrogant types.

do what you gotta do. I'll be up on XBL within a couple weeks. I got no complaints.

:)

dave_m123
08-25-2002, 07:01 PM
If you connect your Cable to a hub, static IP or not you will only be able to use one machine at once.