PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo selling rare stocks

Ronald_mcd
08-26-2002, 03:43 PM
i got this from the Gamespot forums

THE American electronics giant Nintendo is looking to sell its stake in Rare, one of Britain's most successful computer-games developers, which made Donkey Kong and GoldenEye.
Rare was started by Chris Stamper, a Loughborough university drop- out, in 1985.

In 1995 Nintendo took an undisclosed stake in Rare, thought to be 48%. It has been making games solely for Nintendo's N64 and GameCube platforms and reported a profit of Pounds 3.7m on sales of Pounds 64m for the year to December 2000.

Stamper still heads the company and is thought to pay himself Pounds 1.2m.

The industry has been rife with rumours that the two companies were about to relax their relationsip and last month two computer games publishers were approached by bankers.

They were given a presentation about the sale of Rare and a figure of $500m was floated as the asking price.

Both Nintendo and Rare denied that they were parting company and pledged a long future together.

Stamper said: "I think it is just a rumour. It is business as usual and we are totally committed to Nintendo."

A City source said this weekend: "One European publisher attended a meeting and received a document about the sale of Rare. That is a fact."

Companies in the running to buy the stake include Activision, Vivendi Universal, and Electronics Arts.

Source: rarenet.com

EDIT - rarenet.com doesn't work so i have no clue if this is real or not

The Hitman
08-26-2002, 04:01 PM
I hope EA doesn't get Rare.

CoMATOSE
08-26-2002, 04:05 PM
nintendo are an american games giant!!!...learn sumin' new everyday!
this is blatent crap........

Ronald_mcd
08-26-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by CoMATOSE
nintendo are an american games giant!!!...learn sumin' new everyday!
this is blatent crap........

probably

Nameless
08-26-2002, 04:53 PM
Why can I not delete my own ****in post?:mad:

Slacker
08-26-2002, 06:30 PM
who cares Rare isn't important anymore what game's have they made recently that even matter , maybe Microsoft will snatch em up , but then what ,

I really whish they would release Golden eye for New consoles with all the stuff they wanted to do, Like in the Dam you know how you can see a building on the otherside of the lake, well originally you took a boat over there and did stuff, and I guess some version or Gameshark code let you do that but it would be rad if they re vamped it even though I've beat it twice on 00 I would get it and go "Oh yeah" and probaly not play it ,

Ronald_mcd
09-02-2002, 08:40 AM
here is another link

click here (http://www.rarenet.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=15)

clutch
09-02-2002, 10:59 AM
This could be a huge blow to Nintendo, I just found a story about Rare and it says that Microsoft might be buying into the company. Remember this is just a rumour.

http://spong.com/index.asp?art=3695

Knight
09-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Exclusive: Microsoft to buy Rare 2nd Sep 2002

Link to this story

Related Links
Companies

Rare
Microsoft

Titles

Donkey Kong Racing
Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers
Kameo: Elements of Power

Nintendo game cancellations spark rampant MS rumour.

There has been strong rumour emanating from the highest levels that Microsoft is poised to buy UK-based developer Rare. This comes in the wake of talks that saw Activision sniffing around the firm, apparently taking a look over Rare’s accounts at a secret meeting held in a hotel near the Banjo Kazooie creator’s base.

According to reports, Microsoft is poised to make a bid for Rare in the coming months, to the tune of £350 million for 100% of its stock. It’s worth remembering that Nintendo still holds 49% of Rare and is not short of money.

Rare has also cancelled two of its upcoming games, namely Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers for Game Boy Advance and Donkey Kong Racing for GameCube. Apparently, Kameo and Diddy Kong Racing are both still underway.

Of course, at this point in time, no official comment of any kind is available. We’ll keep you updated as this progresses and again, remember where you read it first.

Why is Rare cancelling Donkey Kong Racing & Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers?? Maybe because they loss the rights for Donkey Kong(Nintendo owns the copyrights for it)!!

AmpedRider
09-02-2002, 11:27 AM
I hope EA doesn't get Rare.
me 2 lets pray to god that doesnt happen