PDA

View Full Version : $500 Million Promotion, Where??

WynnFire
11-07-2001, 03:29 AM
Microsoft is reportedly spending $500 million dollars to promote the Xbox. So, where is it? I know they are doing the Unleashed parties and the setting up domes filled wall to wall with Xbox's for people to play and they have those very low budget looking commercials. Is all that worth $500 Million?

Are they waiting till after it's launched to put out the better commercials? They are spending Half a Billion dollars for promoting the Xbox and so far I have only seen about $2-$3 million of it. Where's the rest???? Am I the only one wondering about this? Am I a little too obsessed about this. Ok, I will go now. I have to sleep.

Phiresun
11-07-2001, 09:00 AM
You have to remember they (Microsoft) is looking for sales beyond the launch date. Most people (parents) will be buying consoles during the shopping seasons. They don't need to spend 500 million to convince the true gamers. With the masses, seeing is believing, and MS is making sure they can deliver on their promise before opening their mouths. You will see the games come the Nov. 11, but I am sure you are already convinced the XBOX is the best console out, and they got the games to prove it.
:p

scarecrow kfj
11-07-2001, 11:26 AM
Not to mention they dont need to push preorders since they are selling out and some are already selling out for Dec 2.

l Maximus l
11-07-2001, 11:54 AM
December 16th in my town in regards to pre-orders! They are selling like hot cakes :D

Think about that for a moment...$500 Million! That is one amazing number. The vast majority of companies in the United States do not have entire company revenues that are even half that, let alone a marketing budget!!! That is staggering!!!

I believe, when it happens (now hearing November 11th), it will be extremely obvious.

sinizuh
11-07-2001, 12:01 PM
they started using the $500 million promotion a while ago... with all the posters, displays and kiosks for stores...

the 2nd phase (ads), are coming within the next week.

l Maximus l
11-07-2001, 12:38 PM
Sinizuh...I think Wynnfire is right, though...we have probably only witnessed $2-3 Million only so far...Maybe a little more. I mean, $500 Million can buy a hell of a lot of marketing :D

Personally, I hope Microsoft chills out on the marketing until after I get my XBox! I want to be able to get mine, therefore, I'm camping! It's going to be one long 10 hours outside :o

JeremyX
11-07-2001, 06:08 PM
With $500 million dollars in marketing cash, Microsoft could buy an NFL franchise and name it after the Xbox, give away 2 million units for free, or fund five huge summer blockbuster movies about the Xbox.:D

Koolice98
11-07-2001, 07:27 PM
the marketing campaign on tv is going to run for months, thats where the bulk of the money is going, starting on the 11th through christmas you will see xbox commercials everyday untill you get sick of them (if thats possible)

scarecrow kfj
11-08-2001, 08:17 AM
Think about it ... lets say 52 cities have demo systems and each city has 52 systems at 400 a pop (shipping and all ) $1,081,600. Than figure a comerc to make costs 500,000 x 2 diff commerc so far thats another mil. radio contests taco bell sponcering events.. another mill. buying commercial time during game seven of the world series.. 500,000 a spot. Now that is for the usa... Now there is also europe aust. and so on. so they might have done a fith of what they say they are going to spend but that 500 mil is for the remander of the year... so minus what they have done so far I would say they are right on track. Just give a name create a curious mind than release pics to tease than give full ads.