PDA

View Full Version : Turok Impressions...

Radar
08-29-2002, 03:45 PM
from gamespot...

Okay, I picked up Turok today (had it preordered from GameStop) and played it for about 1.5 hours. Here are my impressions.

The Good: The graphics are really nice. The levels are big and have an amazing amount of detail. No draw-in at all that I can see. Tons of plants, trees, and wild animals roaming around (even killer monkeys). Everything moves realistically from the wind or you brushing past it. Good water effects. The sound is great, especially in Dolby Digital and the music is nice (though it does not change when you go into a battle). Load times are pretty quick and the save points between each level come at about the right frequency (pretty much the same as Buffy).

The controls are pretty much the same as Halo, so if you are comfortable with that, this will be easy to pick up.

It also really feels like a Turok game. I've played Turok on the N64 and Turok 2 on the PC and I'm a fan of the series and this one is so far just a bigger, badder Turok game. If you like the series, you will probably like this game.

The Bad: The story feels tacked on. There's a short cut scene at the beginning that supposedly sets up the situation but all of a sudden you're alone in the jungle with a bow and a tomahawk fighting dinosaurs and lizard soldiers, with no explanation as to why you're there.

It's hard to tell when you've been hit. There is a spray of blood right in front of you, but it's impossible to know if that's you or the enemy that you're fighting. Your health meter is too subtle. A couple of times I died and had no idea I was even close to being killed. Not much vibration effect on the controller that I noticed, either.

It has the same problems that every FPS does -- that is, your character can't seem to climb over an obstacle that is chest-high.

So those are my early impressions. So far I'm liking it, but I will need to get farther in to know whether it is a "keeper". It kind of feels a few years out of date to me, since playing Halo and Buffy, but I have nostalgic feelings for the Turok series, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Link to original post... (http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board/message?board.id=xboxbasic&message.id=39657)

Expedite_Wrap
08-29-2002, 04:44 PM
hey quick question, does turok have like multiplayer with system link and stuff?

Radar
08-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Turok has 4 player splitscreen. No system link.

Expedite_Wrap
08-29-2002, 04:49 PM
well thats dissapointing to hear...thanx

kevgt2000
08-31-2002, 01:41 PM
http://forum.xbox365.com/ubb-data/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006486

not trying to be a **** but everyone bashed me and said i was nuts and turok is good

John002
08-31-2002, 04:16 PM
Is Buffy better than Turok?

RPGr
08-31-2002, 04:45 PM
Here's my mini review after playing it for an hour:

Graphics- In a word..............Kickass!
The foliage (plants you lamers ) is very thick and real looking. Some bushes will move if you get too close to them and brush against them. The trees sway back and forth in the wind. Some trees even fall down! I spooked a dinosaur (Stegasauris I think) and it ran around knocking trees down. I grabbed my trusty bow and arrow and downed him. The draw distance is fantastic! You can see for miles when you get up on the cliffs. Enemy graphics and movements are good as well. Especially when you whack the arm off a dino/humanoid creature with your ax and blood is squirting out of the wound as he's falling to the ground.

Sound- To be honest, I was so into playing the game, I didn't even notice what was playing in the background. I'll edit this part after I play some more.

Control- The default setting is just like Halo. Left stick controls your movement and right stick controls your aim. R trigger is shoot, A is jump, X and Y switches between weapons. You can also crouch by clicking in the left stick or pressing the L trigger. There are two different control setups you can use. I use the default one and haven't tested the other one yet.
In the Options menu, you can tweek the controls a little too. Like set the vertical and horizontal movement from 1-10. The default is 5. I changed mine to 10. You can also change the inverted controls to your liking (up to go up or up to go down).

Extras- There are also flying levels, where you fly on top of big birds. No, not big yellow birds that teach you ABC's, but terodactols (sp).
There are mutiplayer games in there too, but I haven't tried em yet.

Like I said, I've only scratched the surface of this game, but my first impression is very positive.

ScorpionX
08-31-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by RPGr
Here's my mini review after playing it for an hour:

Graphics- In a word..............Kickass!
The foliage (plants you lamers ) is very thick and real looking. Some bushes will move if you get too close to them and brush against them. The trees sway back and forth in the wind. Some trees even fall down! I spooked a dinosaur (Stegasauris I think) and it ran around knocking trees down. I grabbed my trusty bow and arrow and downed him. The draw distance is fantastic! You can see for miles when you get up on the cliffs. Enemy graphics and movements are good as well. Especially when you whack the arm off a dino/humanoid creature with your ax and blood is squirting out of the wound as he's falling to the ground.

Sound- To be honest, I was so into playing the game, I didn't even notice what was playing in the background. I'll edit this part after I play some more.

Control- The default setting is just like Halo. Left stick controls your movement and right stick controls your aim. R trigger is shoot, A is jump, X and Y switches between weapons. You can also crouch by clicking in the left stick or pressing the L trigger. There are two different control setups you can use. I use the default one and haven't tested the other one yet.
In the Options menu, you can tweek the controls a little too. Like set the vertical and horizontal movement from 1-10. The default is 5. I changed mine to 10. You can also change the inverted controls to your liking (up to go up or up to go down).

Extras- There are also flying levels, where you fly on top of big birds. No, not big yellow birds that teach you ABC's, but terodactols (sp).
There are mutiplayer games in there too, but I haven't tried em yet.

Like I said, I've only scratched the surface of this game, but my first impression is very positive.

I agree with everything you said, exept I thought the plants looked pretty bad. As for multiplayer, it is amazing. I had a 4 player flight war and that is soooo much fun. There are tons of MP levels, and lots of modes. My personal favorite is Blood Bath. If you enjoyed SP, you will love MP. ;) :p ;) :p

RPGr
08-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Well, I think the plants look great. Just walk off the main path and check out those giant ferns!

Anyway, I wish the game had an in game map. Because sometimes you're running in the thick foliage and you can't see where you're going. And it's easy to get lost.

As for the sound (I started over and listened this time): The in game music is very intense and atmospheric. There are times you think an enemy is going to jump out at you because of a sudden shreak from the orchestrated music with bongo drums a thumping. It really gets your adrenilen going. I'm surprised I didn't notice it at first.

EHWfedPres
08-31-2002, 09:02 PM
No AI Bots = bad

Multiplayer is useless then if you dont have anyone else to play it with and your bored with the single player...that's why my Halo is collecting dust

RPGr
09-01-2002, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. Bots would've been a great addition.

I was playing level 1 again this morning and I really like all the stuff they put in this game. There's one spot under a canopy of trees where there are a hundred butterflies flying around and the sun beams are shining down in there. And there's another part where I witnessed a Stegasaurus taking a ****! I swear to God, it took a dump! Then after about 30 seconds, the crap dissappeared. Then, there are wild parrots all over the place. Frogs, lizards, even bees and dragonflies. Not to mention all the dinosaurs roaming around. I love playing the first level!
I'm also playing on level 2. It's a flying level and it's pretty hard. Sometimes it's hard to control your bird. If you get too close to the edge of the level, you will crash. But it's still fun.

studepaber
09-01-2002, 02:05 PM
After debating whether to get this game (which I finally decided to trade in a few games to buy) I had another choice as to which console to buy it on. After ruling out the PS2 version completely I read a little on the differences between the Xbox and GC versions and ultimately decided on the GC version (because of framerate issues). All in all I think this FPS'er is mediocre at best, the graphics in the GC are a little TOO lush for my liking and make it difficult to spot out enemies. The AI is behaving more intelligently as the levels progress, but still I'd like to see a larger onslaught of enemies on screen at once. Flying levels shouldn't have been included as they are very awkward and frusterating to get through. As for multiplayer (at least on GC) the players seem to move too fast and again with the lush environments it makes it difficult to see each other (maybe I was just playing a bad level). This FPS'er is definitely better than AUF but when Timesplitters 2 comes out I'll most likely trade Turok in for it.

Radar
09-03-2002, 08:27 AM
I'm now at chapter 4 and man is it getting tough now (I have auto-aim off) The dark matter cubes are sweet when you set one off. I've gotten some spider mines, and they're quite fun to use as well.

All I can say about this game is that if you get past the first two chapters, you'll really enjoy this game.

If you don't want to invest that much time into this game, then you won't enjoy it.

Chapters 3+ have been a blast. I haven't gotten allies to fight alongside me yet so I can't attest to their intelligence. The game gets better the further in I go.

kofijamal
09-03-2002, 08:35 AM
I'm picking up Turok after listening/reading everyone go back and forth about this game. I'd planned on getting it yesterday but my local Gamestop was sold out. I was going to get it after watching the movie I downloade from the website last week. But I wanted to read what people thought of the game. And after some doubts, I've been burned by some games before so I was worried, I have decided to pick up this game and get my FPS fix in. I'll let you all know what I think in a few hours.

Radar
09-03-2002, 08:41 AM
The first two chapters are slower introductory chapters as I've stated just to warn you. Some people were very turned off by them. They didn't bother me as much though.

kofijamal
09-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Radar. But unlike a lot of people, I'm not expecting "the next Halo." So I'm expecting to have to throw Halo out the door or something. I'm glad that the first level is a slow one. After getting so used to Halo, i would need time to get use to a whole new game. The same when Unreal Championship, Metal of Honor, Timesplitters 2 (if I can fix the controls to be just like Halo. That demo sucked.) comes out . I think people expect to much, I'm while I'm no different, I'm not nuts enough to think that Turok will whup Halo. After seeing the footage and the screenshots, I just want to bust a cap in a T-Rex. lol

RPGr
09-03-2002, 12:10 PM
I liked the first couple of levels. There's not too many baddies around, so can can take your time and explore more. Has anyone else found the Tek Bow in level one yet? I'll give you a hint.........................................................it's near water.

symposiumx
09-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Radar
Turok has 4 player splitscreen. No system link.

Are you able to do Co-op, or is the multiplayer limited to deathmatches (ala Halo) ?

Radar
09-03-2002, 12:56 PM
No Co-Op, but a plethora of fun multiplayer games.

Shiz_96
09-05-2002, 06:14 PM
I'm trading in some games today and don't know if I should get Turok or Sega GT2. I just need a little more insight.

What kind of multiplayer games does Turok have?

ScorpionX
09-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Shiz_96
I'm trading in some games today and don't know if I should get Turok or Sega GT2. I just need a little more insight.

What kind of multiplayer games does Turok have?

Multiplayer on the game is quite fun. There are a total of 13 levels, and some of them have interactive environments. Some levels have raptors roaming around to attack you and others have machine guns set up throughut the level. There is even a level where you can set off an alarm and bombs will be falling to your teammate! There are many multiplayer games such as deathmatch, team deathmatch, hunter, CTF, Monkey Tag, Snipers, and flight, a midair battle. There are tons of pickups in games like cloak and shields.

It is not the same as Halo, it is kind of a faster paced game.

kevgt2000
09-07-2002, 10:19 AM
quote from ign.com review
n the end, I wanted more from Turok. There were lots of little things I liked, but they never lasted or weren't used enough. And there's just too much that annoys me (some of those textures are terrible upclose and then at other times look great, for example). This is a definite rental, but probably not the best choice to buy sight unseen

Closing on our thoughts here, we think Turok can best be summed up a slightly above average first-person shooter that is home to a number of flaws. Hardcore Turok fans will no doubt find the experience nostalgic and enjoyable, but for many, Evolution will feel ho-hum and even tedious at points. We think that if Acclaim Austin had several more months to polish out the gameplay, it could have definitely been a must-play and even worthy purchase. However, as the final version released to the market stands, it just isn't cutting-edge or polished enough to be considered as such. That isn't to say that Evolution is a bad experience, though. It has its fill of thrilling moments and monster boss battles, but in the scope of things, that will not be enough to appease more demanding gamers.

Shiz_96
09-07-2002, 02:49 PM
I bought Turok yesterday. I wasn't expecting Halo graphics and I wasn't disappointed. I think its a good game but with no bots I won't be playin it much. Guns are nice I must admit. Nice variety of weapons. Its cool killin big dinos also. I liked the flight level but it's just way too easy. Only 2 objecives I think: Blow up the tents and then the Huge Aircraft. Other than that you're basically flyin around and don't have to shoot anything. After 3 chapters I turned it off and played Halo online at Gamespy. If you love Turok it's probably a keeper but for me I'd rather play Halo til Unreal is released. What the hell would I do with this game after I beat it and if I keep it for more than 2 days I can't do even trade......bottom line is I'm trading it in later tonight to get Sega GT2002.

kevgt2000
09-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Shiz_96
Hardcore Addict

I bought Turok yesterday. I wasn't expecting Halo graphics and I wasn't disappointed. I think its a good game but with no bots I won't be playin it much. Guns are nice I must admit. Nice variety of weapons. Its cool killin big dinos also. I liked the flight level but it's just way too easy. Only 2 objecives I think: Blow up the tents and then the Huge Aircraft. Other than that you're basically flyin around and don't have to shoot anything. After 3 chapters I turned it off and played Halo online at Gamespy. If you love Turok it's probably a keeper but for me I'd rather play Halo til Unreal is released. What the hell would I do with this game after I beat it and if I keep it for more than 2 days I can't do even trade......bottom line is I'm trading it in later tonight to get Sega GT2002.