PDA

View Full Version : Turok Impressions...

Radar
08-29-2002, 03:46 PM
from gamespot...

Okay, I picked up Turok today (had it preordered from GameStop) and played it for about 1.5 hours. Here are my impressions.

The Good: The graphics are really nice. The levels are big and have an amazing amount of detail. No draw-in at all that I can see. Tons of plants, trees, and wild animals roaming around (even killer monkeys). Everything moves realistically from the wind or you brushing past it. Good water effects. The sound is great, especially in Dolby Digital and the music is nice (though it does not change when you go into a battle). Load times are pretty quick and the save points between each level come at about the right frequency (pretty much the same as Buffy).

The controls are pretty much the same as Halo, so if you are comfortable with that, this will be easy to pick up.

It also really feels like a Turok game. I've played Turok on the N64 and Turok 2 on the PC and I'm a fan of the series and this one is so far just a bigger, badder Turok game. If you like the series, you will probably like this game.

The Bad: The story feels tacked on. There's a short cut scene at the beginning that supposedly sets up the situation but all of a sudden you're alone in the jungle with a bow and a tomahawk fighting dinosaurs and lizard soldiers, with no explanation as to why you're there.

It's hard to tell when you've been hit. There is a spray of blood right in front of you, but it's impossible to know if that's you or the enemy that you're fighting. Your health meter is too subtle. A couple of times I died and had no idea I was even close to being killed. Not much vibration effect on the controller that I noticed, either.

It has the same problems that every FPS does -- that is, your character can't seem to climb over an obstacle that is chest-high.

So those are my early impressions. So far I'm liking it, but I will need to get farther in to know whether it is a "keeper". It kind of feels a few years out of date to me, since playing Halo and Buffy, but I have nostalgic feelings for the Turok series, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Link to original post... (http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board/message?board.id=xboxbasic&message.id=39657)

DaturaX
08-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your impressions Radar.I havent played a Turok game since Turok 3 for PC(though I've played them all).I'll probly at least give it a rent when I get the chance.

UltimateAg
08-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Radar
from gamespot...

Okay, I picked up Turok today (had it preordered from GameStop) and played it for about 1.5 hours. Here are my impressions.

The Good: The graphics are really nice. The levels are big and have an amazing amount of detail. No draw-in at all that I can see. Tons of plants, trees, and wild animals roaming around (even killer monkeys). Everything moves realistically from the wind or you brushing past it. Good water effects. The sound is great, especially in Dolby Digital and the music is nice (though it does not change when you go into a battle). Load times are pretty quick and the save points between each level come at about the right frequency (pretty much the same as Buffy).

The controls are pretty much the same as Halo, so if you are comfortable with that, this will be easy to pick up.

It also really feels like a Turok game. I've played Turok on the N64 and Turok 2 on the PC and I'm a fan of the series and this one is so far just a bigger, badder Turok game. If you like the series, you will probably like this game.

The Bad: The story feels tacked on. There's a short cut scene at the beginning that supposedly sets up the situation but all of a sudden you're alone in the jungle with a bow and a tomahawk fighting dinosaurs and lizard soldiers, with no explanation as to why you're there.

It's hard to tell when you've been hit. There is a spray of blood right in front of you, but it's impossible to know if that's you or the enemy that you're fighting. Your health meter is too subtle. A couple of times I died and had no idea I was even close to being killed. Not much vibration effect on the controller that I noticed, either.

It has the same problems that every FPS does -- that is, your character can't seem to climb over an obstacle that is chest-high.

So those are my early impressions. So far I'm liking it, but I will need to get farther in to know whether it is a "keeper". It kind of feels a few years out of date to me, since playing Halo and Buffy, but I have nostalgic feelings for the Turok series, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I just have 1 question Radar, is it fun? Are you having fun while playing it? Thanks for the feedback.:D

Mercury
08-29-2002, 06:28 PM
That's not Radar's review. It is someone from another forum.

UltimateAg
08-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Mercury
That's not Radar's review. It is someone from another forum.

Dang you're right, I missed that little "from gamespot...":o oops

Radar has already said that he has the game, and is planning on playing so I guess my question is still valid.

GO BUCCS!!!
08-29-2002, 06:51 PM
how long is it? or maybe i should ask, how long is the game supposed to last? that's all i need to know. :D

Mercury
08-29-2002, 06:53 PM
I would be playing Turok right now, but all the ebs around here got the GC and PS2 Turok games in but not xbox!!!! I have to wait until tomorrow.
:mad:

DOOM
08-29-2002, 10:33 PM
Well guys, i have to tellz ya that the game has a seriously rushed feel to it... Dino's Get Stuck In Trees & Walls, Bland Textures, Just Plain Un-Polished... I Think The Game Is Cool But In No Way Is It A True XBOX Game... Doesnt Really Use The XBOX'S Hardware Bells & Whistles...
I Have Gotten 3 Turned In For Store Credit at My Shop & The Game Only Came Out Yeaterday... Definetly A Bad Sign!
But I Am A Die Hard TUROK Fan So I Will Finish This Game... I Like It But I Just Expected Much More...
Laterz!:)

DaturaX
08-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks DOOM.Sounds like a rental for sure then.

kevgt2000
08-29-2002, 11:45 PM
game was rushed and not good and i get bashed

here is this guy opinion

XII
Admittee

I've been lurking these fora for a while just keeping up with news and such and I actually went ahead and registered just to be able to warn people before they spend their money on Turok.

I saw a video of game play and figured it should be pretty good, now, I have to see if gamestop will take it back after being opened.

The graphics are comparable to Lands of Lore from about 2-3 years ago. Instead of utilizing the xbox's ability to render in three dimensions, borders to areas are flat two dimensional textures. Options are limited as far as controls go and although I could change to non-inverted for the single-player campaigns, I cannot seem to find a way to change it in multiplayer. This appears to be an oversight on the developer's part or, since it shouldn't have been missed, it would appear they just rushed the game out the door before finishing it.

In summary, the game sucks. If you don't want to believe a total stranger, who was so compelled by the "suckfulness" of this poorly developed piece of crap that he signed up to warn others, at least rent it and only give your money to the rental place.

Video game developers could use a little lesson in supply and demand, hopefully they have a huge supply and no demand, and when they take it in the pocketbook, they realize they can't foist this kind of non-product on the masses.

kevgt2000
08-29-2002, 11:47 PM
XII
Admittee

I've been lurking these fora for a while just keeping up with news and such and I actually went ahead and registered just to be able to warn people before they spend their money on Turok.

I saw a video of game play and figured it should be pretty good, now, I have to see if gamestop will take it back after being opened.

The graphics are comparable to Lands of Lore from about 2-3 years ago. Instead of utilizing the xbox's ability to render in three dimensions, borders to areas are flat two dimensional textures. Options are limited as far as controls go and although I could change to non-inverted for the single-player campaigns, I cannot seem to find a way to change it in multiplayer. This appears to be an oversight on the developer's part or, since it shouldn't have been missed, it would appear they just rushed the game out the door before finishing it.

In summary, the game sucks. If you don't want to believe a total stranger(kevgt200), who was so compelled by the "suckfulness" of this poorly developed piece of crap that he signed up to warn others, at least rent it and only give your money to the rental place.

Video game developers could use a little lesson in supply and demand, hopefully they have a huge supply and no demand, and when they take it in the pocketbook, they realize they can't foist this kind of non-product on the masses.