PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Slam or Slugfest?

tribalstyle
08-29-2002, 06:11 PM
I'm looking for an over-the-top sports game, if anybody has played one (or preferably both), which would you recommend? And which is the better one-player game? Any feedback appreciated.:)

Zion
08-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Get RedCard 2003 and Slugfest. Forget Soccer Slam.

lllSmokelll
08-30-2002, 09:55 PM
I wouldnt suggest getting either of those :)

tribalstyle
09-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Goldberg
I wouldnt suggest getting either of those :)

Why?

thebox466
09-01-2002, 02:37 PM
red card is the best!

Professor Kaos
09-01-2002, 04:59 PM
theres always nfl blitz.

Young_Fledgling
09-01-2002, 07:33 PM
i have not seen any of these games up in canada... i really wanna try them all to see which one is best.

EHWfedPres
09-01-2002, 09:04 PM
NHL HITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tribalstyle
09-02-2002, 12:10 AM
Uhhh...thanks for the replies guys. But I've narrowed it down to Soccer Slam and Slugfest. Has anybody played either (or both) of these games? I'd like to know how each one is.

Punkbob
09-02-2002, 12:36 AM
I haven't played Slugfest yet. But I own Soccer Slam and I like it. It's really fun multiplayer. Anything you wanna know about it ask me.

Bob

Zion
09-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by tribalstyle
Uhhh...thanks for the replies guys. But I've narrowed it down to Soccer Slam and Slugfest. Has anybody played either (or both) of these games? I'd like to know how each one is.

You narrowed it down without even playing them???

You'd better give RedCard a chance.

EHWfedPres
09-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Give NHL Hitz a chance, its an amazing game. So much fun

Zion
09-02-2002, 08:51 PM
I agree..NHL Hitz is probably the best hockey game in history. It's just amazing. Hitz 2003 is right around the corner!

tribalstyle
09-03-2002, 12:09 AM
The reason why I'm choosing between Soccer Slam and Slugfest is because I hate Soccer and Baseball, and I tend to like the over-the-top games of these sports. I don't wanna get Blitz, Hitz, or anything like that, because I prefer the more simulation-oriented versions of these sports (ie NFL2K3, NBA2K2, etc).

Anyways, since you've played Soccerslam, Punkbob, I'd just like to know what your thoughts are on the game. Is it a good single player game? How are the graphics, sounds, and gameplay? Oh, and on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate it? Is there anything like create-a-player, or does it keep stats, or how does it compare to the sim-type games? Any help appreciated.

Punkbob
09-03-2002, 02:55 AM
It's not at all a sim type of a game. It's more of an arcade style game. Personally I like the gameplay. It's 3 on 3 (plus a goalie for each team). There's no out of bounds, so it's like constantly going except of course when you score. You can punch the other players to get the ball from them, and you can slide trip them as well. You can use turbo by pressing the right trigger and there's a turbo meter which drains when being used and charges back up when not.

When you have the ball you can protect it by doing flips and stuff, and you can also spin with it to keep people off of you. When you shoot a goal you can simply tap the button and shoot or you can hold it down and a little meter shows up and if you hold it down untill it fully charges your player will kick the ball up in the air and do a bicycle kick or some other special kick. Then there's what's called spotlight shots. If you have possesion of the ball for enough time a spotlight of your teams logo will shine down on the field and move around for a short time. If you can run to it and shoot while standing in the spotlight you can do a spotlight kick and it goes into slow-motion and lets you aim at the goal while you're in the air. These are powerful. But the most powerful are the killer kicks. At the bottom of the screen there's a meter for each team. You build it up by stealing the ball, passing, hitting, etc. When it gets fully built up it will say "Killer Kick". When this happens you hold down turbo (right trigger) and press pass. The ball will be kicked way up high in the air and on the field a green bullseye looking thing appears. Make another team member run to it and press shoot. It goes into slow-motion and lets you aim at the goal while in the air (like the spotlight shots). This meter is also used to power-up players. Press the left trigger and the person you're playing as will use some of the team's power meter until it runs out or you cancel the power-up. It makes you faster and shoot better. And each team's looks different. There's a water-like effect for the hawaiian team, electricity for voltage, fire, nuclear, etc.

I haven't played the single player quest mode much yet. You basically pick a team and play different teams like any game. But each player on each team can get three different items (like equipment) that enhances their playing ability.

There's not any create-a-player in this game. But there are other teams to unlock as well as stadiums. There's also a couple of mini games like Brawl and Hot Potato, but I haven't played 'em much.

I'd say the graphics are pretty good and clean. Sound is good too. There's commentary while playing and after goals the characters have funny things that they say.

Out of 10 I'd give it an 8.

Bob

Zion
09-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by tribalstyle
The reason why I'm choosing between Soccer Slam and Slugfest is because I hate Soccer and Baseball, and I tend to like the over-the-top games of these sports. I don't wanna get Blitz, Hitz, or anything like that, because I prefer the more simulation-oriented versions of these sports (ie NFL2K3, NBA2K2, etc).

Well that's why I'm suggesting RedCard! At least PLAY IT!

Longster
09-04-2002, 01:45 PM
The best feature in Sega Soccer Slam is the multiplayer. Single player is fun, but not as immersive as you would like. However, I do love this game for ease of use and quick competition. The AI is very good at the Pro level. Soccer Slam would be awesome if it has system link or LIVE.

My score:

Graphics - 8/10
Sound - ?? Im deaf so I couldn't care less.
Gameplay - 8.5/10
Replay Value- 9/10

Overall - 8.5/10

Not the greatest scoring system, but you get the idea.

Longster

DVDGNZ
09-05-2002, 02:14 AM
Sega Soccer Slam is a blast! I don't like soccer but Slam not only makes it tolerable it makes it really fun! I rented it and depending on how good Slugfest is I'll be buying it.

tribalstyle
09-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Sounds good guys. Maybe I should just save myself the trouble and buy both...:p

I dunno though. I only want quality games on my Xbox. I already made one mistake with RAW.:mad:

Longster
09-06-2002, 09:26 AM
If you guys are wondering, Gamespot gave this game 8.8 out of 10. This score is slightly higher than GameCube score due to added feature for xbox. It's a fun game.

Longster

Craig35_007
09-06-2002, 11:18 PM
yo

I have Slugfest, I bought it the other day. Its a pretty fun game, I'm still getting used to it, and I haven't played it on multi player yet......I will this weekend. The single player is really fun and the computer always makes the games close at the higher levels, I lost both games at the 2nd hardest level and I won the game at the second lowest level big 22-3 or something like that.

Basically, you play the game like you normally would, like each button is a different pitch, then you have 4 options afterwards, A is pitch, B is Bean Ball, X is pickoff and Y is back to the pitch menu.......if you press turbo while you pitch its a "super" pitch, which basically means it goes really fast and if you are throwing a breaking ball is curves more. I am a red sox fan and pedro throws in the low 120MPH with a turbo fastball.

You can bean a guy and when you do it takes off certain attributes, every player is rated in three categories hitting, power and running. If you hit the player in the head it takes off hitting, in the mid section power and in the legs running. I guess the player is only hurt temporarily and regains the power lost througout the game. They say that on certain occasions beaning a player will **** him off and he'll go on fire (I have yet to see this happen). As in other Midway games, the on fire guys are ridiculous (pretty much auto home run, and they have unlimited turbo), but they are a ton of fun to play with.

Hitting is similar to regular baseball, A is contact, B is bunt, X is power, Y I forget, White is steal, black is back to bag if you picked steal. Holding turbo is a super swing. As expected, there are a ton of runs scored. Turbo refills a little bit after every run, and every half inning.

They have a season mode w/playoffs & world series with stats and a regular champion mode which is just beat every team. So far its a fun game, it should be a great multi player game.

Hope this helped ya a little bit

DVDGNZ
09-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Nice! Sounds like fun. I need to rent it soon!

melon
09-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Sega Soccer Slam! i never played Slugfest, but it looks cool!

Spaztic
09-09-2002, 09:55 AM
I have slugfest and sega soccer slam, and i prefer soccer slam becuase I like to play more games with my friends. Soccer slam is easier to pick up and the special kicks are awsome! Slugfest is alright...but I haven't played it much!