PDA

View Full Version : Radar's Turok Impressions...

Radar
08-30-2002, 09:59 AM
Well, I played the game last night, not as much as I would have liked, but I am now on Chapter 3. These are my impressions thus far.

Graphics - Turok does some things better then Halo, and some things much, much worse. I've only been on outdoor levels thus far, no inside fighting yet. The areas you can walk around in are very large, but you are roped in by a ring of dense plant matter. If you walk into the dense plant matter it doesn't scale well and you run into large 2-D textured plants. Not very impressive. That is the worst graphic glitch, but the rest of the games graphics more then make up for this inconvenience. The land is huge and expansive with no Fog trick needed to limit draw distance. The dinosaurs look fantastic and the ground is bump mapped nicely. My favorite part is the hordes of native creatures wandering over the lands. Birds, many type of monkeys, gazelles, frogs, butterflies, there is always a ton of action on screen. I was surprised at first that my club would become covered with blood after I smacked a few grunt soldiers and dinosaurs with it. Nice effect. The waterfalls, rainbow effect, and flying scenes are very nice. I'd rate this game an 8 for graphics.

Control - The controls are very tight and responsive. You can fine tune your aiming with both horizontal and vertical controls. They are preset to 5 and the range goes from 1-10. I left mine at 5 for now. There is an autoaim feature which I don't like. Basically if you see two enemies a distance off, aim at the first and pluge him with 2 arrows killing him, the next area shoots off to the other enemy without me having to move my aiming crosshairs. With autoaim off, the game becomes much more challenging. I would have preferred an aim assist like in Halo, something inbetween auto-aim and auto-aim off basically. I'm playing the game through without auto-aim though since that adds a good challenge. The flying scenes were difficult for me at first simply because I was not familiar with the controls. I picked it up quickly and can now skim over the water and fly through canyons without trouble.

Sound - The sound effects are really well done. The rushing waterfall, the shotgun pellets slapping against rock, the bullets ricocheting through the canyons. Even the voices of the enemy's is well done. (although I don't know how they learned to speak english...)

Intangibles - The flight sequences add variety to the game, but I prefer the FPS mode by far. It took me a while to figure out that I can climb up moss/ivy branched on the sides of the cliffs and that I could hang from the same material when its stretched across the canyon. I hated getting my a$$ kicked by a troop of baboons. I've worked my way up to getting my a$$ kicked by a T-Rex...I have used the Tech-Bow, Pistol with sniper attachment, bow and club. I'm about to get the shotgun. The weapons thus far have been very fun, especially the tech bow with poison arrows. I can't wait to get the tech bow sniper attachment. Sniping works just like Halo which is a good thing. I'm having a good time with the game. Today I brought it into work. We always play some multiplayer games. I'll let you know how Multiplayer worked out for us later.

Overall Score - 8/10 thus far.

Have questions, ask!

Chr0nik
08-30-2002, 10:07 AM
Good to hear, very in depth review, appreciate it.:cool:

ShaqPack!
08-30-2002, 10:09 AM
How is the framerate?

What do you think of the flight sequences? I heard that they were bad and it would have been better if they weren't included in the game.

Radar
08-30-2002, 10:19 AM
The framerate has been rock steady and smooth. The flight sequences are not my favorite and I would have personally preferred a straight FPS game, but the flight sequences are very well done and smooth. At first, I smashed myself and the bird into branches and the ground resulting in a gory death. I mastered flying and it is ok now.

Xracer
08-30-2002, 10:38 AM
nice review radar i'd like to back up everything you said
im also in chapter 3 seems the difficultly has been picked up some.

cyclaud
08-30-2002, 11:05 AM
are the controls like halo?

Mercury
08-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Great review. Thanks!

I'll be picking up the game in a couple of hours.

Radar
08-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cyclaud
are the controls like halo?

The controls are very similar to Halo's. The right trigger fires, the left trigger is used less frequently however. You can use the left trigger to switch the type of arrow loaded in the tech bow thus far. To use certain weapon effects is a bit different. To use the spiked end of the club for example, you hold down the right trigger to "charge" the club (basically he spins the club around to the pointy end out.) To zoom with the sniper attachment, you click the right thumbstick like in Halo. The basic controls are the same, left thumbstick to move, right to aim. you click A to jump like Halo. You click two other face buttons to switch weapons.

cyclaud
08-30-2002, 11:24 AM
this is the only positve review i have seen for this game, y is that?

Radar
08-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Xracer also has a positive review as well as a positive review I posted yesterday by someone else.

I think there is more then just me...

cyclaud
08-30-2002, 11:44 AM
i hope its good or i will have to wait for another game.

Mercury
08-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by cyclaud
this is the only positve review i have seen for this game, y is that?

Oh really, so where are the these other bad reviews? Tell me that? And no don't say one is from Kevgt because he didn't even play the game. He only made it up because he doesn't want people to buy it for some reason.

And the xbox version is slow getting to the stores for some reason.

Chr0nik
08-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Mercury

And the xbox version is slow getting to the stores for some reason.

I actually went to Microplay at lunch and the only game they had for Xbox was Halo, the guy said he wont order Xbox games cause he feels there is not enough of a demand for them.

GO BUCCS!!!
08-30-2002, 12:06 PM
you say you're on chapter three... how many chapters are there in the game? is it a long game, or a "sort as a demo" type game like hunter?

Xracer
08-30-2002, 12:07 PM
im lucky enough to have 2 EB's in my town one had 40 copies the other didnt receive any yet weird,, the stores are about 2 miles apart

Radar
08-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by GO BUCCS!!!
you say you're on chapter three... how many chapters are there in the game? is it a long game, or a "sort as a demo" type game like hunter?

I don't know how many chapters yet. I have heard the game is quite long, but I'll let you know when I defeat the game.

GO BUCCS!!!
08-30-2002, 12:20 PM
oh man, i hope it's long. if it is, turok will become the third game i've bought brand new for $50.00
the only other 2 worth buying brand new for $50.00 have been halo, and nfl2k3.
...then again halo was kinda short.
:D

cyclaud
08-30-2002, 12:23 PM
has anyone tried the multiplayer?

ShaqPack!
08-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Does anybody know why the commercials and some gamesites say that this game will ship in 9/1/02?

cyclaud
08-30-2002, 05:03 PM
the game shipped early if read at IGN or just went to ur local game store

JimmieDoogan
08-30-2002, 05:18 PM
Cool, I dug on the first two Turok games, both of which I had beaten. Awsome stuff, sounds great. Speaking of sound, does this game have as good 3D sound seperation as HALO did? I know everyone keeps asking and comparing to HALO, but it's got the best of stuff going for it. Mind you I don't expect the game to be on par with halo after having played Turok 1 and 2, but I am an audio phile. Let us know what you think...

Xracer
08-30-2002, 05:31 PM
sound is one catergory that Turok matches if not surpasses Halo
From the sounds of the jungle that give it a whole living enviroment feel ,to the voice overs you swear someone was in the room with ya.

well done with the audio :)

Mercury
08-30-2002, 05:45 PM
I don't think there are bots in multiplayer. That is a let down to be sure. When only one controller is plugged in the multiplayer option is greyed out.

The sound is fantastic. The wildlife around you is well done. I have to say that the flying levels are cool as hell. It's easy to control and you do some nifty flying. Like flying under dinosaurs and such.

My two biggest beefs with the game are 1) when you get close to the outer edges of a level. Your screen fills up with 2D images of bushes and you don't know where you are. 2) Some dinos that are just part of the wildlife don't react when you shoot them. You see a splash of blood but they don't flinch. I guess if you keep shooting them they will die, but other than that they don't react at all.

Oh ya! Shooting a poisoned arrow at the lizardmen is a blast. They bend over and start puking like crazy! It's hilarious.

anarky
08-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Does this game have 2 player coop?? Please say it does...

Mercury
08-30-2002, 07:32 PM
No 2 player co-op. :(